Ultrasone PRO900
Apr 10, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #721 of 924
if u liked them with just early burn-in wow, they probably will get even better over time, like my Pro 750 have.
what is your source?

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #723 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if u liked them with just early burn-in wow, they probably will get even better over time, like my Pro 750 have.
what is your source?

Laptop headphone out...
frown.gif

Not for too long though hopefully.

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #724 of 924
They say the HD650 scales very proportionately with better source/amp, I think the same applies to Pro 900 because both these headphones have great potential for detail/accuracy. My mid-fi setup easily surpassed the detail threshold of my HFI-2200, but I feel it is holding back the Pro 900. If you just go out of your laptop you should really consider doing Kees' mod, it makes music very sweet even when they are bad recordings/lowbitrate/out of an mp3 player.

Although stock Pro 900 doesn't sound enchanting like modded Pro 900, I can't bring myself to keep it modded
tongue.gif
Ultrasone said they're for critical listening so I'm going to use it for that. Then I use iCans when I get horrified by what stock Pro 900 reveals
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #725 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by devansh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can i use the pro 900 with my zune 30gb & fiio e5??? will they be able to power them up??plz help.......

If no one else answers your question, pm me with a reminder tonight U.S. - in about 8 or so hours, or tomorrow a.m.. I have a 60 gig zune, a pro900, and a FIO e5 at home. I can test and let you know.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #726 of 924
For someone that has actually used both -- is it a safe statement, to say that basically, the 900 has bass and mids as good as the 750, but even better highs?

If this is a true statement, then it will push me over the edge to finally buy a 900.

I've been fence-sitting on the 900 ever since they came out....

Opinions, please, on this basic question.

I am talking about stock, un-modded cans in both cases.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #727 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For someone that has actually used both -- is it a safe statement, to say that basically, the 900 has bass and mids as good as the 750, but even better highs?

If this is a true statement, then it will push me over the edge to finally buy a 900.

I've been fence-sitting on the 900 ever since they came out....

Opinions, please, on this basic question.

I am talking about stock, un-modded cans in both cases.

IMHO, the 900 has better bass as it is more refined, but overall I would say yes to your question. I don't care too much for the 2500 or 750 because of the highs which can be harsh at times. I love (and still do) the HFI-2200 ULE so I was apprehensive about getting the 900 since it has titanium drivers like the 2500 and 750. I took the plunge and have never looked back. I have sold off all my other headphones except for the 900 and HFI-2200. I absolutely adore the 900.

Again, this is all my opinions and ymmv.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #728 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by devansh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can i use the pro 900 with my zune 30gb & fiio e5??? will they be able to power them up??plz help.......

Yes, and a step up from the E5 will give you a nice sonic boost.

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #729 of 924
I like the mid range better too. the 750 didn´t have emotion for me for classical though it had a plenty for female voices.. I don´t know what term to use more then emotion but the 900s somehow make me feel more involved I guess it´s a sum of it all... However it´s way more punishing then the 750 in term of sibilance on the Canamp... It´s even more obvious now that I have more forgiving headphones with more rolled off treble. I know the Canamp is partly to blame. Get more then on my other cheaper amps. I am going to order the goldpoint headphone pro tomorrow and maybe even if I am lucky get some Graham Slee Solo and see how they fare. Sibilance or not when you get good recordings not ridden with this they are pretty near perfection at times
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #730 of 924
Yeah the 750 is not as involved which i like :p, When i switched to the Alessandro MS-2 wow they have more involvement in the music each instrument just jumps out and wants to get your attention.

Apr 11, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #731 of 924
Not exactly what I meant though a bit hard to describe. I find the 900 a bit more laid back then the 750 so from memory a bit less involving that way since it has a wider and deeper soundstage and is not as much in your face
smily_headphones1.gif
. What I try to say is that I simply feel less with classical on the 750. Like the K701, 650 you are just neutral about it.

Apr 13, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #732 of 924
I'm looking at the Audio-gd Compass, but to be honest, for $300 it looks a bit too good to be true. Has anyone heard a Compass with a PRO900? Does it bring out most of what the PRO900 has to offer? Or does it not even come close to showing what the 900s are capable of?

Also, those that have heard the Compass (with or without a PRO900), what does it do for the sound? I've read it's quite neutral sounding. Does this mean that the sound signature of whatever phones you're using won't change much? What impact will the Compass actually have on the sound (over a laptop output)?

I would very much appreciate any help or opinions on this.

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #733 of 924
The compass is more than sufficient for the Pro 900 unless you decide to upgrade things like cleaner power, power cable, and headphone cable. If you upgrade all that then the Pro 900's become extremely revealing of the dac's hdam's (discrete opamp) deliberate nonneutral sound qualities. Strange to believe, but compass+Pro 900 without anything else sounds more right (at the expense of fidelity) than my best setup. If I had the money I'd upgrade to audio-gd's higher end dacs which have completely neutral sound, which is what I think is necessary to make the Pro 900's sound both right and high fidelity.

Apr 13, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #734 of 924
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, and a step up from the E5 will give you a nice sonic boost.

Agreed, just tested, works nicely. The Pro900 is not a portable headphone, however, but it works fine with the zune. The fiis does help with the sound but the 900 will play out of the zune without the fiis.
Needless to say, it would sound even better with a better amp.

Apr 14, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #735 of 924
I notice several of you also have the HFI-780s and a lot was discussed on these when they came out not so long ago. Any chance of hearing a comparison between these and the PRO 900s? I think I have gone through all the postings in this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back