ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Aug 16, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #1,232 of 2,431
Hi guys,
Any advice for a under 300$ DAC/amp that could fit well with SP , anything that can cut a bit the sibilance , and harshness on cymbals ?
I thought about NFB 16 or 15.1 with a warm signature or may be  a o2+odac but they seems very neutral and may improve the defaults quoted above ?
Any tips will be appreciated, sorry for my bad english :) .

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #1,233 of 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"His and hers" headphones is a rather obnoxious idea.

Quote:

Whatever do you mean?  
wink_face.gif

It's tough to tell from the pictures, but it almost looks as if the Romeo (ugh...) has a similar cup finish to the Limited with the ceramic inlay of the Palladium and darker hardware.  All in all, it could subjectively be the best looking of the Ed8 lot.  Conversely, that pink-padded, etched assault to my eyeballs on the right is inexcusable.

MuppetFace, it may be an obnoxious idea but from a business perspective it actually may not be that bad.  Why?  Because the R&D to produce these HP have already been spent.  All they are doing now is expanding the market for this profitable HP.  As mentioned before, the "8" does have an Asian thing to it and here in Hong Kong where the rich guys buy expensive purses/bags for their pretty girlfriends, this would be just another 'gift' idea.  In fact, the Juliet Edition 8 would only be a fraction of the price of some of these purses.  If it can catch on, say... be worn by a celebrity couple, it may work to a certain degree.  And all they have to do is get some pink leather from their leather supplier to make them.  There may be flaws in this thought as I just thought of this now...

Curly, I have to agree with you on the looks of the Romeo Edition 8.  It just may be the best looking of the Ed8 lot, although I am still a little biased towards the Limited.
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #1,234 of 2,431
Oh I know how it works. It may be good business sense in that particular market segment, but it's still obnoxious. Extremely obnoxious. Not to mention painfully predictable in its gender type casting.

Especially as Ultrasone is just starting to improve their reputation after the Edition 10 debacle, producing a no-nonsense headphone like the Signature Pro. It's like they just can't help but not be insane. They sit there trying to make a straight face, but it eventually contorts back into some spiraling madman's grin. Their eyes grow wide. They whisper, with quivering enthusiasm---like a pervert leering through a dorm window---"Romeo and Juliet Edition Eeeeeeeighs. Yeeeesssssssss."

It's not like it's going to take the place of a designer handbag, either.

"Here my spoiled, stereotypical girlfriend. I know you wanted a $10k designer handbag, but have this $1.5k uncomfortable headphone with bubble gum colored pads. And I've got one of my own, see, it has gun metal accents cuz that's so masculine. I mean, never mind the 'his and hers' thing does far, far more to counter any masculine image I'm trying to go for. We can wear them side by side and be complex, interesting people together!"

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #1,235 of 2,431
I actually find my 8's to be a little bit more comfortable than the Signature Pro's, but I'm also a big German guy (the exact demographic Ultrasone's going for most of the time?), so iuno. 

I wasn't able to get a good look at the Juliet when I said I wanted it in your thread.  It looks kind of gaudy now.  I'd maybe buy a second 8 if they ever released one with TH900-red leather and inlays.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #1,236 of 2,431
Is anyone wearing the Sig Pros with eyeglasses?  If so, how comfortable are they?

I'm curently using DT-770s and they are suprisingly comfortable with my glasses on.

My concern with the Sig Pros is that, if they have a lot of clamping pressure, they will be digging the arms of my glasses into the side of my head.  Which probably wouldn't be comfortable.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #1,237 of 2,431
Quote:
Is anyone wearing the Sig Pros with eyeglasses?  If so, how comfortable are they?

I'm curently using DT-770s and they are suprisingly comfortable with my glasses on.

My concern with the Sig Pros is that, if they have a lot of clamping pressure, they will be digging the arms of my glasses into the side of my head.  Which probably wouldn't be comfortable.

I use eyeglasses... The clamping force is really evident and indeed they force the sides a bit... If you come from the cool Beyer velour pads, you probably wont like the Sig Pros as much BUT the sound is SO much better though on the Ultrasones (I'm assuming you have the 770 Pro 80 which I also had...)

I think I mentioned a few posts ago that indeed comparing the Sig Pros to Denon D5000s, the Mad Dogs (Fostex T50RPs), etc. you could definitely feel the difference but it is not a game ender, at least not to me...

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #1,238 of 2,431
They're fine for me, but I'm wearing straight armed IC Berlin's, where such pressure wouldn't be too bad to begin with.  I doubt they'll be as comfortable as your Beyers, but the pad's pressure is applied over a somewhat wide area (for a portable), which may help mitigate it all around.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #1,239 of 2,431
Quote:
I think I mentioned a few posts ago that indeed comparing the Sig Pros to Denon D5000s, the Mad Dogs (Fostex T50RPs), etc. you could definitely feel the difference but it is not a game ender, at least not to me...

Gelocks, any further thoughts on your Mad Dog v Sig Pro comparison, purely from a SQ perspective?  

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #1,240 of 2,431
Quote:

Gelocks, any further thoughts on your Mad Dog v Sig Pro comparison, purely from a SQ perspective?  

I am curious for the answer as well.  While I have tremendous respect for the ingenuity of modders, I struggle to reconcile how drivers from a $100 headphone can be made to sound comparable to drivers on an $850 headphone unless the Sig Pro is ridiculously overpriced.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #1,241 of 2,431
Quote:

This is Ultrasone!!

They don't believe in price reduction. They will only increase the price.

While they don't believe in price reduction, it is curious that they allow one authorized retailer to significantly discount the Sig Pro from $1,299 list to $850.  Also, I don't see an upper mid-range offering from Ultrasone.  With a "DJ" designation, I think this might be their way to justify a mid-priced headphone with superior sound compared to their lower end "nails on a chalkboard", IMO, highs since most DJ headphones are under $300.  I'm thinking they might bring this in under $700.  If not, IMO, they can keep it.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #1,242 of 2,431
Quote:

Quote:
I am curious for the answer as well.  While I have tremendous respect for the ingenuity of modders, I struggle to reconcile how drivers from a $100 headphone can be made to sound comparable to drivers on an $850 headphone unless the Sig Pro is ridiculously overpriced.

Hello.

Definitely the Mad Dogs produce sound comparable to other mid-fi headphones and sometimes better, especially the lovely mids which I still think are the MDs strong suit as I've kept listening... Also, the level of comfort is just way better on the MDs, pure and simple... BUT from a purely SQ perspective it's definitely tricky to decide... I guess it would depend on preferences. I definitely still prefer the Sig Pros for bassy genres (such as DnB, electronica, dubstep, etc). Although the MDs do "adjust" to almost all genres and has a good amount of speed/attack and sub-bass, the Sig Pros to me provide greater amount of it that I'm comfortable with, supplies very decent mids and rich highs. On other genres is a toss-up actually... and I think what "hurts" the Sig Pros is the lacking soundstage...

All in all, being a Shure fan also, I would select the Mad Dogs for my needs and preferences...
but like I said... a toss up... (right now using both at work...)

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #1,243 of 2,431
Is that everything we know about the Signature DJ? No indication at all about a possible release date, having just sold my SP due to lacking a bit of bass for my tastes I'd be very interested if these were indeed tuned for a more bass heavy signature, which would be the logical assumption.

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #1,244 of 2,431
Quote:
Is that everything we know about the Signature DJ? No indication at all about a possible release date, having just sold my SP due to lacking a bit of bass for my tastes I'd be very interested if these were indeed tuned for a more bass heavy signature, which would be the logical assumption.

Wow... you ARE a basshead!!!  :wink:
I find the Sig Pros "bassy" as they are... (probably the bassiest ones I've had with quality to boot...)

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #1,245 of 2,431
Quote:

Hello.

Definitely the Mad Dogs produce sound comparable to other mid-fi headphones and sometimes better, especially the lovely mids which I still think are the MDs strong suit as I've kept listening... Also, the level of comfort is just way better on the MDs, pure and simple... BUT from a purely SQ perspective it's definitely tricky to decide... I guess it would depend on preferences. I definitely still prefer the Sig Pros for bassy genres (such as DnB, electronica, dubstep, etc). Although the MDs do "adjust" to almost all genres and has a good amount of speed/attack and sub-bass, the Sig Pros to me provide greater amount of it that I'm comfortable with, supplies very decent mids and rich highs. On other genres is a toss-up actually... and I think what "hurts" the Sig Pros is the lacking soundstage...

All in all, being a Shure fan also, I would select the Mad Dogs for my needs and preferences...
but like I said... a toss up... (right now using both at work...)

Your not suggesting that the Sig Pro is a mid fi headphone I hope.  Blasphemy if you are ..lol
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back