ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Mar 30, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #2,326 of 2,431
  Sorry to interrupt the world peace, but are there any good comparison about Signature Pro Vs Signature DJ? I tried google with terrible luck and I have read tons of stuff from this thread.

A good resource for some comparissons could be found here http://www.head-fi.org/t/623238/ultrasone-signature-dj

In a nutshell though:

Sig DJ :   Bassier headphone
              Mylar driver
              White colouring has tendency to yellow over time
              Not a one trick pony by any means but more EDM oriented
              Introduced after the Sig Pro
              Cheaper

Sig Pro :   Titaniumn driver as developed for the Edition 9 (top tier headphone back in the day 2006)
               More "Audiophile" sounding - better extension across the board
               Better range and suited for a wider band of music
               Technically more proficient (IMO as well as others)
               Shares the same DNA as the Edition 9 which at the time was one of my Grail headphones so it was always a no brainer for me
               More expensive than the Sig DJ

Mar 30, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #2,327 of 2,431

A good resource for some comparissons could be found here http://www.head-fi.org/t/623238/ultrasone-signature-dj

In a nutshell though:

Sig DJ :   Bassier headphone
              Mylar driver
              White colouring has tendency to yellow over time
              Not a one trick pony by any means but more EDM oriented
              Introduced after the Sig Pro
              Cheaper

Sig Pro :   Titaniumn driver as developed for the Edition 9 (top tier headphone back in the day 2006)
               More "Audiophile" sounding - better extension across the board
               Better range and suited for a wider band of music
               Technically more proficient (IMO as well as others)
               Shares the same DNA as the Edition 9 which at the time was one of my Grail headphones so it was always a no brainer for me
               More expensive than the Sig DJ

Thanks for the info. White color is big no for me.

Does the Signature Pro still have decent amount of bass? I am coming from Pro 900 and I listen music like this maybe 60-70% of the time

https://soundcloud.com/hpg-detonator/dtn-029-01#t=1:39

But I also listen to pop, rock, metal so I don't want to get can for just EDM.

Mar 30, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #2,328 of 2,431

Does the Signature Pro still have decent amount of bass? I am coming from Pro 900 and I listen music like this maybe 60-70% of the time

Bass in spades, definately a strong point of the Sig series in general.

IMO they will be more versatile for the genres you listen to. 

Mar 30, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #2,329 of 2,431
Hi Latitude94941,

Heres the scoop.  The real differences between the two are that the HD-800 can be finnicky on amp and source synergy, the Sig Pro plays nice with almost everything.

The Sig is closed obviously so it may lack that openess that alot of people crave...not as airy sounding as the 800.  If I were looking into picking up a pair of HD-800 now I would definately shoot for the "s" version, it offers up some improvements and balances out the sound.

As far as music goes the Sig is best suited for EDM, Darkwave etc while the 800 excels at Jazz and Classical.  Honestly Latitude94941 they both make a great pairing and work nicely in rotation depending on your mood.

The 800 scales really well, meaning that as your amp and DAC quality increases over the years so will the 800....it will keep up with gear upgrades in the future......the Sig Pro not as much in this regard.  I feel this way about the TH-900 also, and as much as I adore that headphone
(TH-900) I dont feel it scales nearly as well as the HD-800.

The more reasearch you do around here you should be able to get a sense of what both headphones offer / lack.

Thanks for this, Mortalcoil--much appreciated.

Mar 30, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #2,330 of 2,431
Thanks for this, Mortalcoil--much appreciated.

beerchug.gif
  Good luck on the quest !

Apr 4, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #2,331 of 2,431
I would prefer to have short cable for these, so is the oyaide cable durable and good quality? Does the sound change ( even though I am very skeptic )

Was this the model which fit Signature pro: Oyaide HPC-62HD598 ?

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #2,332 of 2,431
  I would prefer to have short cable for these, so is the oyaide cable durable and good quality? Does the sound change ( even though I am very skeptic )

Doesn't come with the mobile cable like the Sig DJ does?

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #2,333 of 2,431

Works well, sounds much better than stock. Clearer highs and a little bit wider soundstage.
On the bad side - cable is not flexible enough and has more microphonic effect.
Good value for it's price, I'd say.

Apr 5, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #2,334 of 2,431

The Sig Pro has more bass, comparatively speaking, than the Pro 900. The Pro 900 has (to my ears) piercing treble, so I turn it down (well, when I last used it, which was some time ago, I turned the volume down) and the bass, compared with the Sig Pro, is less strong for the same volume of sound. If you see what I mean.​

The Oyaide cable (and you have the right one in mind) is in my view a real step up from the stock cable. More clarity to the image and more bite to the sounds.

I have the Denon D7000 headphone, the HD800 with an early Cardas replacement cable, making it warmer and nicer than with the stock cable, a Beyer T1, a Stax Omega 2 Mk 1, a Grado GS1000 with a big Jenalabs copper replacement cable, and a Beyer T5p. I use the Sig Pro in preference to all of those when out and about (of course I could not take the Stax, but the rest could theoretically be used away from home). I feed it now with an iFi DSD Nano, fed direct from a laptop (via a Kimber silver USB cable with an Audioquest Jitterbug) with ALAC files ripped from CD and 96k upwards high resolution files. That works very well. I doubt that for portable use there is much that is better in the form of headphones. I do not like in-ear phones, so cannot say whether or not they have bettered the Sig Pro now.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #2,335 of 2,431
In the end I bought Ultrasone Signature Pro from Thomann for 695€ (new, not b stock) (price match). I still feel it is good price as they have good return policy and warranty service.

They should arrive soon

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #2,336 of 2,431
  In the end I bought Ultrasone Signature Pro from Thomann for 695€ (new, not b stock) (price match). I still feel it is good price as they have good return policy and warranty service.

They should arrive soon

Congrats .....enjoy them !

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #2,337 of 2,431
This is a good price. I hope you enjoy them. I use mine mainly for listening at home when I need a close headphone or at work. Recently I bought a Fiio X3 II and they sound much better, more balanced from it compared to my ipod touch... very nice headphones for my ears...

Apr 21, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #2,338 of 2,431
I got my Signature Pro today. Seems to be newish pair 2373?

Anyways I think they are good, but could use more bass and I feel that instrument separation sounds weird. Maybe I need to get used to these. Soundstage is awesome though and yes I do not want bigger one.

Apr 22, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #2,339 of 2,431
Day two: Getting more used to these, brain adjusting. Loving these more and more.

End of day two: I love and hate these at the same time and I have decided to return them. My issue is that they are not balanced as reviews claimed. It feels like my music echoes in weird way, could be s -logic, but with PRO 900 I never had such an issue. To me it sounds like vocals overpower everything and then instruments go in a bubble and echo away.

I love my Shure 846, I wish there was fullsized headphones like them-

May 4, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #2,340 of 2,431
Just got an older pair of these (#265) that are well broken in and all I can say is I'm sad that I didn't get a pair earlier.
To my ears they are incredibly neutral with a small bump in the lower octaves, not unlike a pair of speakers with the addition of a subwoofer. The mids are very smooth with a nice creamy texture. The treble have just the right amount of bite to keep it exciting without sounding sibilant. Soundstage is really wide for a closed headphone and isolation is top notch too. 

The pads looks a little worn so I have ordered a new pair and will be looking forward to hear if they improve the sound any further. Even if they don't I'm sure the comfort with be improved a bit.

I really hope these are going to stay with me for a long time, but then again this is Head-Fi so who knows :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back