ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Mar 28, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #2,312 of 2,431
  Out of curiosity are these bad buy for 600€? I used pro 900 for many years and looking to replace

I heard these are not so good compared to competitors 

If you want closed, easy to drive, robust and faily compact then I reckon they're very good for that price, What are you also looking at? What do you listen to?

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #2,313 of 2,431
  If you want closed, easy to drive, robust and faily compact then I reckon they're very good for that price, What are you also looking at? What do you listen to?

I want to have quite easy to drive headphones as I already bought o2+dac so buying another amp would make me feel dumb and waste even more money. I don't need compactness as I will be using these at home, but I want a closed can which isolates decently, doesn't have airy feel in the sound. Open headphones and air in the sound is just not for me. 

I want also balanced sound signature with some bass.

I listen to hardcore techno, pop, rock, metal. All fast paced. So I want some amount of bass

Example song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpPBi7dvYzw

I tried out Oppo PM3, was great but earpads were too small. I tried out LCD-XC was great, but expensive and I would need new amp. Fostex THX00 and TH900 both interested me, but they have very airy sound according to reviews. ZMF headphones also interested me, but paying 24% taxes on them is kinda painful, so I thought what about Signature Pro as I previously used Ultrasone Pro 900 for many years. Based on reviews Signature Pro would fix the issues I have with Ultrasone Pro 900, which are piercing highs and kinda want more balance in.

Back in the day people said Signature Pro goes well against TH900, but suddenly TH900 is apparently still a beast while Signature pro are terrible? Well they don't seem to have almost any reviews so really hard to say.

Anyways if you could help a little based on what I said would this be a wise purchase? I use Shure 846 with bright filters outside.

Thank you

PS: it seems all closed headphones have their cons

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #2,316 of 2,431
Zankes

The Signature Pro is very well balanced, almost neutral in presentation, with an ability to render instruments and vocals in a convincing way.  The most natural sounding of the Ultrasone line-up I have heard and amongst the most neutral/natural sounding headphones regardless of type.  The Sig Pro is a dynamic headphone, with energy to its sound signature, music sounds intense and alive, very punchy, crisp, clean, and detailed.   Drums have a “thwack” and "thump" to them, hi-hats crash, cymbals "clank and ping" when they should (not just a one note tish), and guitars are full bodied from the twang of the strings, slide of the fingers, to the resonance of the wood.  Imaging and instrument separation is superb, never congested or blended, good positional sound-stage, not overly airy but not closed and claustrophobic in any way.  This detailed and lively sound helps the Sig Pro achieve the balance between being quite neutral but also being a fun engaging headphone.  The Sig Pro does benefit from home source components, however it performs and outperforms from a humble DAP.  A great all-rounder, certainly one of the best closed headphones available and in my opinion clearly in the same league as many top end open headphones of today.  The Sig Pro is a far better, more balanced headphone than the Pro 900.
All IMO of course.

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #2,317 of 2,431
I think I am leaning towards Signature Pro a lot more after reading tons of reviews and comparisons. Only thing which makes me confused is that Signature Pro has been said to go very well against TH900 in performance, but they sound very different. These statements have been made in 2013, 2012, but nowadays when I read about Signature Pro the hivemind seems to agree that they are terrible and overprice while TH900 seems to be great performance for the terrible price it holds 1400€ vs 600€ signature pro.

I am confused.

Anyways based on reviews these sound the sound I like, but in worst case I can return them and in best case I will love them and no need to get new amp. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #2,318 of 2,431
I think I am leaning towards Signature Pro a lot more after reading tons of reviews and comparisons. Only thing which makes me confused is that Signature Pro has been said to go very well against TH900 in performance, but they sound very different. These statements have been made in 2013, 2012, but nowadays when I read about Signature Pro the hivemind seems to agree that they are terrible and overprice while TH900 seems to be great performance for the terrible price it holds 1400€ vs 600€ signature pro.

I am confused.

Anyways based on reviews these sound the sound I like, but in worst case I can return them and in best case I will love them and no need to get new amp. 

I owned the TH600 (not TH900) immediately before purchasing the Signature Pro. For my ears and tastes (and system) I preferred the SPs by far. It's been years now, so I can't remember the specifics, but I clearly preferred the SPs and was glad I moved from one to the other.

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #2,319 of 2,431

Anyways if you could help a little based on what I said would this be a wise purchase? I use Shure 846 with bright filters outside.

I have also used Shure 846 with bright filter and would say that filter is the closest match to the sig pro to my ears

Mar 29, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #2,320 of 2,431

I am confused.

The Sig Pro is indeed a wonderful headphone.  Ultrasone does'nt get much love around here unfortunately and thus probably the reason why some (who have probably never heard it) trash it or dont recognize it as the top tier headphone it really is.

Its a very capable headphone technically and has similiar qualities in sound to the TH-900, a warmer sounding signature that plays extremely well with EDM, Jazz, etc.....a very good allrounder.

It isolates excellenlty as well.  The Sig does'nt offer the typical sparkly Hi Fi sound that most people associate with "high end" but dont be fooled, its a real contender.

I owned them for a few years and they were in steady rotation between my TH-900 and HD-800. I would reach for them when I wanted a fun energetic, bassy sound with glimmers of refinement.

This is probably how I would describe the Sig "a fun energetic, bassy sound with glimmers of refinement" something not easily accomplished by many headphones.

Pricing now is competitive, seems like a smart time to buy.  Try and audition them if you can. 

Bottom line ......a great headphone IMO.

Mar 29, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #2,321 of 2,431
The Sig Pro is indeed a wonderful headphone.  Ultrasone does'nt get much love around here unfortunately and thus probably the reason why some (who have probably never heard it) trash it or dont recognize it as the top tier headphone it really is.

Its a very capable headphone technically and has similiar qualities in sound to the TH-900, a warmer sounding signature that plays extremely well with EDM, Jazz, etc.....a very good allrounder.

It isolates excellenlty as well.  The Sig does'nt offer the typical sparkly Hi Fi sound that most people associate with "high end" but dont be fooled, its a real contender.

I owned them for a few years and they were in steady rotation between my TH-900 and HD-800. I would reach for them when I wanted a fun energetic, bassy sound with glimmers of refinement.

This is probably how I would describe the Sig "a fun energetic, bassy sound with glimmers of refinement" something not easily accomplished by many headphones.

Pricing now is competitive, seems like a smart time to buy.  Try and audition them if you can. 

Bottom line ......a great headphone IMO.

Hi, Mortalcoil,

I've been toying with picking up a pair of HD 800s, even though I've been very happy with my SPs (especially now that they're converted to balanced).

Since you had both at the same time, could you please compare and contrast the Signature Pro's to the HD 800s?

Thanks.

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #2,322 of 2,431

Hi, Mortalcoil,

I've been toying with picking up a pair of HD 800s, even though I've been very happy with my SPs (especially now that they're converted to balanced).

Since you had both at the same time and your such a fantastic person that we all admire (lol), could you please compare and contrast the Signature Pro's to the HD 800s?

Thanks.

Hi Latitude94941,

Heres the scoop.  The real differences between the two are that the HD-800 can be finnicky on amp and source synergy, the Sig Pro plays nice with almost everything.

The Sig is closed obviously so it may lack that openess that alot of people crave...not as airy sounding as the 800.  If I were looking into picking up a pair of HD-800 now I would definately shoot for the "s" version, it offers up some improvements and balances out the sound.

As far as music goes the Sig is best suited for EDM, Darkwave etc while the 800 excels at Jazz and Classical.  Honestly Latitude94941 they both make a great pairing and work nicely in rotation depending on your mood.

The 800 scales really well, meaning that as your amp and DAC quality increases over the years so will the 800....it will keep up with gear upgrades in the future......the Sig Pro not as much in this regard.  I feel this way about the TH-900 also, and as much as I adore that headphone
(TH-900) I dont feel it scales nearly as well as the HD-800.

The more reasearch you do around here you should be able to get a sense of what both headphones offer / lack.

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #2,323 of 2,431
Well I guess I am gonna try my luck with Signature Pro. Many might argue why not get x instead, but this seems to have the something I am looking for in sound signature and build. If not then return is always an option.

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #2,324 of 2,431
Phewww good choice Zankes.....now we can all sleep at night and get on with our lives.

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #2,325 of 2,431
Sorry to interrupt the world peace, but are there any good comparison about Signature Pro Vs Signature DJ? I tried google with terrible luck and I have read tons of stuff from this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back