ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Feb 16, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #1,861 of 2,431

Couldn't you get them replaced under warranty?  You wouldn't expect high quality leather pads to last for a short amount of time would you? And someone else mentioned before that they were quite durable? 

Isn't that like when you buy a new car and you use it so much that your tires are out of profile very fast. Tires are expendables earpads too. The product warranty is only for product defects, not for expendable parts.  YMMV

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #1,864 of 2,431
I paid 130 Euro. They are hand made of leather. And pads are expendables, they degrade over time. You could use the Hfi plesther pads instead, I have tried it. They fit, but sound awful. I got the Sig Pro used from a guy who really used them heavily. Then I got the Sig DJ second hand but unused. The pads where much better as the Sig Pro pads, so I switched them back and force a lot. I also msde the mistake to maintain the Sig Pro pads with leathrr fat. That made the pads even worse. The trick seems to be, not to do anythong to them at all. Then they will serve much longer like new. Just use them, don't maintain them.

i got the signature pro since they first came out, so i have them for more than 2 years now, sn114.  i used them a lot.  they're my go to portable headphones(less lately with t51 out).  and also use them at home sometimes.  i don't baby them but i don't abuse them neither.  whenever i don't use them i just put them in the case.  it's not bad.  still hold up.  just whenever i use the signature dj(that i don't use them a lot), i feel i want a new pair.  it's much nicer when they're nice and firm :)

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #1,865 of 2,431
I find that by rotating the pads (turning them) helps.  Seems that the Sig Pro cup design is slightly oblong in shape,  by rotating them slightly (earpads) you change the pressure points on the pads.

This is not a permanent fix by any means, but may help to extend the life of the pads.

Also,  before storing in the case I wrap each cup and the headband with a piece of paper towel.  This seems to help keep the pads feeling dry and may deter the absorbtion of any naturally occurring oils (from lots of use).

Agreed that the goatskin leather is buttery soft but it does retain moisture, not sweat (lol gross) most likely due to its smooth yet porous attributes. 

Lambskin pads and headband cover would have been a great alternative, perhaps that "egg shell membrane" material ala TH-900 would have been great to.

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #1,866 of 2,431
  I have the Alpha Dogs on order and look forward to comparing them. They may become my hotel cans of choice, or they may stay at home as ear defenders, they probably son't be my out and about headphones as I reckon they will be much bulkier.

have you finally been able to compare them ?  Which one isolate the best ? which one offer the best confort ?

thanks

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #1,867 of 2,431
I have the J$ pads on mine... they are cheaper than the stock pads and in my opinion way better (MUCH better comfort and I can't really hear a difference... although I haven't experimented heavily back and forth with them. 

I recently upgraded from an Aune X1 as DAC/amp to using a Little Dot MK IV SE as the amp - while it didn't do that much for my Denon D7000, it really gave the Sig Pros a much needed (in my opinion) lift in the warmer/stronger bass direction. Now they sound absolutely gorgeous! I can't stop listening to Daft Punks Random Access Memories album now :wink:

But I still can't bring myself to hear metal with them... the guitars sound way too sibillant for me :frowning2: 

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #1,868 of 2,431
  have you finally been able to compare them ?  Which one isolate the best ? which one offer the best confort ?

thanks

ADs arrived, I'm away from home and have been listen to the ADs for a couple of days now and finding them very comfortable and the sound is excellent from my laptop via HiFi M8 amp.

The ADs need a lot more power than the sig pros to sound good, but apart from that I still can't really compare because I don't have the sig pros on me. My guess is that they are going to sound better than the sig pros but only if you can throw some power at them, they should be great out of the Bifrost Uber and Lyr combo, but I'm guessing/hoping at the moment...

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #1,869 of 2,431
Just quick update. So it's been about eight days since I got these in. My conclusion now is that they're well worth the money. After some burn-in, none of the flaws I mentioned intially are a problem anymore.

They are definitely worthy to take on other flagships that are in the $1000 tier. The comfort/portability is a big plus too. They are wonderfully balanced and very transparent.

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #1,870 of 2,431
Pink Floyd/ Dark Side of the Moon @ Ipod Classic AAC VBR 320 kb  >LOD> Fiio E12 Limited Edition> Ultrsone Signature PRO

L3000.gif

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #1,871 of 2,431
I'm honestly kind of shocked at the overall resolution and refinement coming from this small closed can. I have no idea how Ultrasone engineered these drivers, but I've never heard anything like it to be honest. This is the kind of quality normally reserved for open-backed planars powered by super powerful amps. I'm wondering what kind of tech is inside, because surely these aren't normal drivers. I think Ultrasone should think about up-selling their drivers a bit more, like other companies.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #1,872 of 2,431
  I'm honestly kind of shocked at the overall resolution and refinement coming from this small closed can. I have no idea how Ultrasone engineered these drivers, but I've never heard anything like it to be honest. This is the kind of quality normally reserved for open-backed planars powered by super powerful amps. I'm wondering what kind of tech is inside, because surely these aren't normal drivers. I think Ultrasone should think about up-selling their drivers a bit more, like other companies.

Good to see your enjoying them M-13.

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #1,873 of 2,431
  ADs arrived, I'm away from home and have been listen to the ADs for a couple of days now and finding them very comfortable and the sound is excellent from my laptop via HiFi M8 amp.

The ADs need a lot more power than the sig pros to sound good, but apart from that I still can't really compare because I don't have the sig pros on me. My guess is that they are going to sound better than the sig pros but only if you can throw some power at them, they should be great out of the Bifrost Uber and Lyr combo, but I'm guessing/hoping at the moment...

Thanks a lot for the quick answer.  I am looking forward hearing your comparative review when you will have booth headphone with you.

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #1,875 of 2,431

I'm Happy you enjoy the Sig pro as much as we do all here :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back