Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jun 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #6,646 of 9,690
Quote:
IIRC, the pins on the custom cables are bigger than the TF10 cable. They will work, but stretch the female ends at the IEMs, so you can't go back to the stock cable. If buying, be sure you buy the ones on the bottom of the page with pins exposed, not the recessed pins.

Thanks for the information.  I wasn't sure which ones to buy but now I know to buy the exposed ones.

If anyone has any feedback on the quality of these cables or the durability I'd appreciate any opinions.  I'm really considering these but the fact that I won't be able to go back to stock makes me a little hesitant.  

Quote:
If you take some pliers and flatten the pins on the stock cable again, they'll fit. I had to do that with my stock cable because one side had pins that kept falling out. Quality control issue.

That's good to know.

I want some solid, less static cables.  Anyone think these are worth the jump?

(here's the link again to the custom cables if anyone if wondering what I'm referring to): http://www.logitech.com/en-us/ue/custom-in-ear-monitors/accessories

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #6,647 of 9,690
Just got mine...I love them.

But right now it is a love-hate relationship.   They seem to be comfortable enough, and I do get a good seal.  It is the cable that I hate. 

I want to replace the cable...NOW!!!

I don't care about sound improvements.  All I want is a light and flexible cable for around $30.  This puts the Fiio out of the equation since I have read that it is very heavy. 

How about this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Version-Furutech-Ultimate-Ears-upgrade-cable-UE-tf10-5EB-SF-3-SF5-in-Black-/261027957398?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item3cc67a8a96

The Furutech does not look heavy.  How flexible is the cable?

Any other suggestions?

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #6,648 of 9,690
Quote:
Just got mine...I love them.

But right now it is a love-hate relationship.   They seem to be comfortable enough, and I do get a good seal.  It is the cable that I hate. 

I want to replace the cable...NOW!!!

I don't care about sound improvements.  All I want is a light and flexible cable for around $30.  This puts the Fiio out of the equation since I have read that it is very heavy. 

How about this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Version-Furutech-Ultimate-Ears-upgrade-cable-UE-tf10-5EB-SF-3-SF5-in-Black-/261027957398?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item3cc67a8a96

The Furutech does not look heavy.  How flexible is the cable?

Any other suggestions?

IMO the Furutech is junk. The UE VI cable (iphone controls) is far less plasticky than the standard cable. 

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #6,649 of 9,690
Quote:
IMO the Furutech is junk. The UE VI cable (iphone controls) is far less plasticky than the standard cable. 

I see they also make a version without the controls.   How more flexible is it compared to the one that comes with the headphones?  Does it have the memory wire thing at the end?

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #6,651 of 9,690
Quote:

Why would it be junk? Its wire going through sheathing, not exactly rocket science.

...and it still coils like crazy and is stiff.  I don't like it either.  I actually put it up for sale a few times... not even 1 bite, dropped it to $20 shipped even... still nothing... Now, I don't know where it is in my Audio stash of stuff.

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #6,653 of 9,690
Can anyone else recommend a flexible cable that does not weight too much?  
confused_face%281%29.gif

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #6,654 of 9,690
I just got a new set of these, completely ignoring all of the MANY cable comments I've seen over the years. I feel so stupid! The cable is awful and I don't trust myself to be able to properly change it. What a waste of money.
Anyone want to buy mine? I prefer my x10

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #6,656 of 9,690
Quote:

You could always try a Chris Himself cable, they are silver and run $75 and up. I would say check out the FiiO cable also, I have zero issues with its weight, YMMV of course.

Well, if the cable is worn over and behind my ears I can't get a comfortable fit and a good seal.  I think I might need to use the TF10s with the cable just hanging down, so the lighter the cable, the better.  If I'm already looking for a light cable, I might as well try to find one that is also flexible.  

The Fiio looks heavy and its weight might compromise the seal.  The Chris cable seems to be something for those seeking sound quality improvement. 

I've seen some pictures of cables that look light on Ebay.  I might try one of those, but before I buy one I wanted to see if anyone here knows of a cable that fits my needs.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #6,657 of 9,690
Quote:
I might try one of those, but before I buy one I wanted to see if anyone here knows of a cable that fits my needs.

DIY is probably the way to go!  I'd suggest a decent cable at 30AWG or smaller (so it stays light).  Unfortunately I can't recommend and actual cable, as everything I know is 24-26AWG in the types of cables that I like (UP-OCC or SPC).

I'd be tempted to tear open the Furutech cable and see what inside it, as it's light (just coils... probably a lot to do with the shrink tube on the entire cable).

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #6,658 of 9,690
Quote:
DIY is probably the way to go!  I'd suggest a decent cable at 30AWG or smaller (so it stays light).  Unfortunately I can't recommend and actual cable, as everything I know is 24-26AWG in the types of cables that I like (UP-OCC or SPC).

I'd be tempted to tear open the Furutech cable and see what inside it, as it's light (just coils... probably a lot to do with the shrink tube on the entire cable).

LOL, I used 24AWG wires to re-cable mine and I have no problem with them.
I wouldn't bother with getting better core material than 4N OFC because it really doesn't make a difference and pro audio cables use 4N OFC so I may as well follow the chain.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #6,659 of 9,690
Quote:
LOL, I used 24AWG wires to re-cable mine and I have no problem with them.

I used 24AWG on mine too... but if he's not going to go over ear... he may have a problem with them.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #6,660 of 9,690
Quote:
I used 24AWG on mine too... but if he's not going to go over ear... he may have a problem with them.

wait.. you can wear the TF10's without going over-ear?
won't they just fall out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back