Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Apr 9, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #6,346 of 9,690

Quote:
So my FiiO RC-UE1 of two months died recently. It's not uncommon either and FiiO is planning to release an updated version that's more durable. 

The picture shown here is exactly what happened to mine:
http://fiio.com.cn/news/index.aspx?ID=196

Sorry if old news.

The link doesnt work.

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #6,351 of 9,690
I just got a pair, and speaking as both musician and sound engineer, I'm impressed. I'm not really in love with the tips though. I'm an average 5'11"/170 lbs guy, but they just don't seal in my ears. The medium silicone tips are too small, the large ones are alright but don't stay in amazingly since they don't contour to my ear well. The comply ones are -almost- amazing. They seem a bit too small for my ears though. They go in the right depth, but don't expand enough to seal completely and stay sealed. And before anyone asks: yes, they're in the right side and wrapped over my hears like IEM's are supposed to be.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make them fit/stay in properly? I'm thinking about getting some Comply's in large (the T-500's?), or is there something better? I realize there's other people talking about fit, but it seems that everyone is saying they're too big, not mismatched with their ears and probably too small. I was also looking at checking these out, because I saw a Lifehacker article once about using them with earphones: http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs-Red/dp/B002XULPSQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334039627&sr=8-1. Of course, I have no clue how that will go with sound quality...

EDIT: After fiddling around more, I take it back. The I don't think the problem with the Comply's is entirely so much that they're too small, but that they don't have enough foam on them to mold to my ear well. The large black silicone ones seem to work reasonably well. I'm not super happy with the sound isolation with them, and unless I'm going crazy (I did just run sound for 5 hours solid...) I'm definitely not getting anywhere near 26 dB of isolation. Aftermarket tips are definitely sounding like a possibility, because I can't afford to get them custom molded. What I would really love is Comply's except with a thicker foam layer. Is there something like that?

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #6,352 of 9,690

Quote:
I just got a pair, and speaking as both musician and sound engineer, I'm impressed. I'm not really in love with the tips though. I'm an average 5'11"/170 lbs guy, but they just don't seal in my ears. The medium silicone tips are too small, the large ones are alright but don't stay in amazingly since they don't contour to my ear well. The comply ones are -almost- amazing. They seem a bit too small for my ears though. They go in the right depth, but don't expand enough to seal completely and stay sealed. And before anyone asks: yes, they're in the right side and wrapped over my hears like IEM's are supposed to be.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make them fit/stay in properly? I'm thinking about getting some Comply's in large (the T-500's?), or is there something better? I realize there's other people talking about fit, but it seems that everyone is saying they're too big, not mismatched with their ears and probably too small. I was also looking at checking these out, because I saw a Lifehacker article once about using them with earphones: http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs-Red/dp/B002XULPSQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334039627&sr=8-1. Of course, I have no clue how that will go with sound quality...

EDIT: After fiddling around more, I take it back. The I don't think the problem with the Comply's is entirely so much that they're too small, but that they don't have enough foam on them to mold to my ear well. The large black silicone ones seem to work reasonably well. I'm not super happy with the sound isolation with them, and unless I'm going crazy (I did just run sound for 5 hours solid...) I'm definitely not getting anywhere near 26 dB of isolation. Aftermarket tips are definitely sounding like a possibility, because I can't afford to get them custom molded. What I would really love is Comply's except with a thicker foam layer. Is there something like that?

Sounds like you need large tips as myself. 

There's a few options.

1) You can look into the Sony Hybrid tips The large size achieves me an excellent seal with any IEM.

2) Purchase the Monster Supertips which are made for giants (biggest tips I've ever seen and used) They come in gel and foam as one kit with different sizes.

3) Try this easy mod on the tips provided to beef them up a bit.

The problem with comply is it wears out so quickly and is very expensive, I think T500 is the largest size? I've tried them and they muffle the highs and still I couldn't get as tight a fit as hybrids give me. Imo I'd look at the hybrids, If it's large you want and large size only you can buy clones on ebay that supply x3 sets of large tips.

Edit: this also helps me to get a correct seal, without doing this my seal is almost non existent. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRs9_RuBuNE

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #6,353 of 9,690
Quote:

There's a few options.

1) You can look into the Sony Hybrid tips The large size achieves me an excellent seal with any IEM.

2) Purchase the Monster Supertips which are made for giants (biggest tips I've ever seen and used) They come in gel and foam as one kit with different sizes.

The problem with comply is it wears out so quickly and is very expensive, I think T500 is the largest size? I've tried them and they muffle the highs and still I couldn't get as tight a fit as hybrids give me. Imo I'd look at the hybrids, If it's large you want and large size only you can buy clones on ebay that supply x3 sets of large tips.

Edit: this also helps me to get a correct seal, without doing this my seal is almost non existent. 

Wow, thanks for the awesome reply. That's a great YouTube video. I knew all of what she was saying, but I'm saving that to show to people* who can't seem to ever get theirs on right and then complain to me about their mix at the end of set. That mod is brilliant, I can't believe I never thought of it. Definitely going to try it. I've got a bunch of nice earplugs (http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Ultimate-Softness-20-Pair-Foam/dp/B001EPQ3H4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334042117&sr=8-1, for anyone interested, can't recommend enough) that I use occasionally at work and when my roommate is working 24's, but I don't think they're wide enough.

*By people, I mean vocalists and drummers. What is it with them?

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #6,354 of 9,690
No worries friend, happy to help, there's other options people have tried with TF10's such as wearing them over the ear and doing a flip flop method where you switch the earpieces around or something...I can't explain it properly unfortunately, I have tried the mod and it works really well, but my path has lead me down stream of Sony hybrids, they just "fit" how they're supposed too. The mod is exactly what you want to use those ear plugs you have. (they're perfect) A hole punch also helps alot to get a hole dead centre.

My TF10's are coming very soon, so I keep a close eye on this thread. :)

Goodluck! May the force me with you! 

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #6,355 of 9,690

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the awesome reply. That's a great YouTube video. I knew all of what she was saying, but I'm saving that to show to people* who can't seem to ever get theirs on right and then complain to me about their mix at the end of set. That mod is brilliant, I can't believe I never thought of it. Definitely going to try it. I've got a bunch of nice earplugs (http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Ultimate-Softness-20-Pair-Foam/dp/B001EPQ3H4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334042117&sr=8-1, for anyone interested, can't recommend enough) that I use occasionally at work and when my roommate is working 24's, but I don't think they're wide enough.

*By people, I mean vocalists and drummers. What is it with them?

DIY foam tips using earplugs.

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #6,356 of 9,690
I've just taken the plunge and bought a pair of TF10's off of the Logitech UK website for £95 (blemished box).

I currently use a pair of PFE122's and just wondered if anyone can comment on what the major difference might be sound wise that I'll experience?

I use an iPhone 4 with a JDS Labs cMoy.

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #6,357 of 9,690
I was wondering about this too. My PFE 112s are almost dead and I use them without a filter (for a more treble heavy sound). I also have the RE-0 as I enjoy the analytical nature of both phones.

Now, the TF10s are priced competitively on Amazon and the Hifiman RE262s and 272s are available roughly the same price from a UK based Hifiman importer.

Which of the two would be more suitable given my preference for analytical IEMs with plenty of treble ?

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #6,358 of 9,690

There's a few options.

ir

Or just decore a comply foam tip and shove it into the medium silicone tip. It works well enough for me to stand behind a band a few people I knew formed as their monitoring guy. Isolates and seals well. I'm still trying to convince them to use at least Westone UM1's or something of the like though. Not for the better quality, but for the sake of their hearing.

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #6,359 of 9,690
How do you decore complies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back