Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Feb 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #5,836 of 9,690

Quote:
There was a time when I couldn't barely stand the TF10 sound. Well, since getting the Fiio cable the TF10 has quickly become one of my favorite IEMs. The fiio makes the TF10 sound how I always envisioned it might sound (deep bass, nice forward mids and sparkly but not harsh treble). Also nice details and instrument separation. Not as good as the W4, but it's in that tier for sure.

I just got mine yesterday after they inexplicably sent me someone else's order. No real issues, just strange haha. I like it so far, certainly a bit warmer, but more than the sound the cable is just far less annoying than stock. I really couldn't stand that thing. All the reviews I've seen said similar things, but I still underestimated how bad it is. I figured I'd deal with it for a bit and upgrade the cable down the line. Well, here I am in under a month replacing it 
wink.gif
. Quite pleased so far though.

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #5,837 of 9,690
The Fiio cable has debunked (in my mind) all claims that a cables don't affect the sound of the music. Also, this cable has taken me from liking the TF10 to loving it!! The music sounds incredible through this cable in my opinion.. It raises it to a $300 level (or better) IEM. I wasn't hearing that level before. Not a bad investment for a total of $125 ($95 for the IEM and $30 for the cable)...

And playing it through my Fiio E10 makes it that much sweeter!!

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #5,838 of 9,690
It does add the impedance as ClieOS showed so it will change the response due to the TF10's hectic impedance phase. It lowers the treble and a tiny bit of subbass. The lowering of the treble may help those so called recessed high mids on the TF10.

Thing is, cables don't change the sound all the time. Lots of dynamics won't change because of their linear impedance phase.

ClieOS did say he preferred stock over the fiio cable.

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #5,839 of 9,690

Quote:
The Fiio cable has debunked (in my mind) all claims that a cables don't affect the sound of the music. Also, this cable has taken me from liking the TF10 to loving it!! The music sounds incredible through this cable in my opinion.. It raises it to a $300 level (or better) IEM. I wasn't hearing that level before. Not a bad investment for a total of $125 ($95 for the IEM and $30 for the cable)...

And playing it through my Fiio E10 makes it that much sweeter!!

I told ya so :wink:. I didn't believe in the cable bit either until I got a silver cable for my IE8. That made a night and day difference. It makes them clearer, more upfront with more treble extension and tighter bass. The mid range also comes more forward. Still the IE80 is much better IMO. I hate to use EQ and the IE80 fixes that while still being more upfront and aggressive than the IE8.

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #5,840 of 9,690

Quote:
I told ya so :wink:. I didn't believe in the cable bit either until I got a silver cable for my IE8. That made a night and day difference. It makes them clearer, more upfront with more treble extension and tighter bass. The mid range also comes more forward. Still the IE80 is much better IMO. I hate to use EQ and the IE80 fixes that while still being more upfront and aggressive than the IE8.

X2

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #5,841 of 9,690
I just tried the FiiO cable, and it sounded slightly warmer than the 10vi cable.  The fit was much worse, however, because of the lack of memory cable.  The weight of the cable really pulls the earpiece more anterior, and it makes them uncomfortable to me.  Pulling the chin slider alleviates it somewhat, but for me, it's just nowhere near as comfortable as the 10vi.

I liked the fact that they were so overbuilt, and it has a really nice miniplug, but the lack of memory wire makes it a no-go for me.  

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #5,842 of 9,690

Quote:
I just tried the FiiO cable, and it sounded slightly warmer than the 10vi cable.  The fit was much worse, however, because of the lack of memory cable.  The weight of the cable really pulls the earpiece more anterior, and it makes them uncomfortable to me.  Pulling the chin slider alleviates it somewhat, but for me, it's just nowhere near as comfortable as the 10vi.

I liked the fact that they were so overbuilt, and it has a really nice miniplug, but the lack of memory wire makes it a no-go for me.  

My one complaint about the FiiO was no memory wire. I have gotten use to them by also using the chin slider. Of course now I will kinda be starting over when my customs are done. Using the Comply 500 tips and chin slider I have had zero issues with them staying in. The medium silicone, didnt do as well.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #5,843 of 9,690
I have no problems with the cable staying in place, personally. Pelotonjon, are you wearing them so that the Fiio cable is angling forward(where it connects to the TF10) as you're wearing them?

The other way around, like when I was using the flip-flop mod made the fit much less secure.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #5,845 of 9,690
Well Inks to my ears it's more than the things you listed. It's better instrument separation in the TF10 too with this cable. I don't find the treble greatly recessed with this cable, but I find the mids brought forward by quite a bit. Whatever it is, it's really making me dig the TF10..

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #5,846 of 9,690

Quote:
Well Inks to my ears it's more than the things you listed. It's better instrument separation in the TF10 too with this cable. I don't find the treble greatly recessed with this cable, but I find the mids brought forward by quite a bit. Whatever it is, it's really making me dig the TF10..

The "haters" will call it placebo...

I'm glad I found my own truth though and not simple minded thinking...

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #5,847 of 9,690

Quote:
The "haters" will call it placebo...

I'm glad I found my own truth though and not simple minded thinking...

X2

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #5,848 of 9,690
I agree with you 100% I've also noticed the better separation, thought it was probably just me(like with the metallic timbre being gone as well).

Quote:

Wearing it the same way here. Using the flip-flop mod, that angle went the opposite direction, making them tougher to wear.

Quote:
Mine are this way.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #5,849 of 9,690

I agree with you about the disappearance of the "metallic timbre," Selenium... I never try to convince people of what they hear or don't hear, but those same people like to constantly tell me what I'm hearing (or not hearing)...lol. Oh well..
Quote:
I agree with you 100% I've also noticed the better separation, thought it was probably just me(like with the metallic timbre being gone as well).

Wearing it the same way here. Using the flip-flop mod, that angle went the opposite direction, making them tougher to wear.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #5,850 of 9,690

Quote:
I agree with you about the disappearance of the "metallic timbre," Selenium... I never try to convince people of what they hear or don't hear, but those same people like to constantly tell me what I'm hearing (or not hearing)...lol. Oh well..

I know what you mean by the metallic sound. The artificial sound the TF10s have. It can be irritating but also quite interesting depending on what you are listening to or what mood you're in. If I was to compare the TF10 to a DAP it would be the Sflo2 of DAPs for its great sounding but very artificial and unconvincing sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back