Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Dec 1, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #4,771 of 9,690

Quote:
Looks like the Lune cable is sold out.

I've never replaced the cables on a IEM or headphone before. Educate me if you will.

What kind of improvements can I expect? I gather that different materials will create difference sound signatures.

If I want an upgrade in the mids, I'm assuming the Lune is the way to go right (based on your post)?

Check out the thread : http://www.head-fi.org/t/564978/12-custom-iem-tf10-cables-reviewed-double-helix-symbiote-crystal-piccolino-added-11-16-2011.  I stumbled across it last night and there were several cables reviewed using Tf10's plus a few other Iem's

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #4,772 of 9,690
I picked these up on Black Friday.  I was taking a break from the in laws and searching Amazon and saw these.  A quick Google search and I decided to buy them.  I got them Monday and have been playing them ever since.

I was worried about the thinness of the cables and was surprised that they didn't look too thin.  They are thinner than my Shure SE420s but better than I thought.  I don't really mind the memory wire, on my Shures I had the problem of the wire coming out from over my ear and annoying me.  I don't have that problem with these.  I did feel that the ear pieces were uncomfortable at first but after taking off the ones that came on it and trying on others, I put the originals back on they seem to fit better.  I listened for a few hours last night with no complaints.

I listen to a variety of music on my 5.5G 60's rock, jazz, punk, 80's rock, acoustic folk all in ALAC.  So far I haven't had many complaints about the sound.  Of course coming from my two armature Shures to three armatures might have something to do with that.

For the price I'm more than happy and probably should have bought another pair.

Chad

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #4,773 of 9,690

Quote:
Is it just me, or is "Alice In Chains" "Unplugged" awesome on these things? 
biggrin.gif

most live recordings do, must the the deep soundstage

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #4,774 of 9,690
I just got a pair of TripleFi 10s from Amazon. I do enjoy the sound, but as expected, the fit isn't the greatest. They fall out relatively easily. The tips that seem to work best are the largest non-foam ones. However, when walking, they still come out, and I suspect this is because the cable is so stiff and heavy. Therefore, any slight perturbations of the cable (during the walking) will cause the position of the tips in my ear to shift and sometimes fall out. 

Am I correct in assuming that a lighter, more threadlike cable that flows/falls freely will prevent the TF10s from falling out? If so, what kind of cable do you guys recommend getting?

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #4,777 of 9,690
Quote:
Well I have soreness in my left ear today after listening to the TF10s. Love the sound, but don't know if that slight discomfort is worth it.

That's a shame. It's never worth compromising comfort for SQ IMO, they should go hand in hand.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #4,780 of 9,690

Quote:
Think I'll try that "flip mod" and see if that makes a difference...a lot of people seem to prefer wearing them like that.

I was going to but when I tried to pull the cables out they just wouldn't loosen at all so I didn't want to mess with them.  I really have no problems with the fit or sound so I'll just keep them the same.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #4,781 of 9,690
Its really weird with U.E after I take them off I get a little sorness from in both of my ears even with different tips, when I have them i don't feel any discomfort... I am not going use UE tomorrow and on Saturday i am going use X10 all day and see how they feel and on Monday going U.E with my new monster tips and see how i feel comfortable. I think I might keep the X10 i am finding the UE10 a little to detailed..I was so looking forward to these, but I might end up keeping X10...

EDIT:

Whats flip flop?

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #4,782 of 9,690

Quote:
Well I have soreness in my left ear today after listening to the TF10s. Love the sound, but don't know if that slight discomfort is worth it.

Same here. I'm waiting on some Sony hybrid tips and monster super tips - hopefully they fair better than the tips that came with the TF10.

UPDATE: Got my Tips in. So far so good, the medium Sony Tips are very comfy. I only feel a bit of pressure. Will continue updating later.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #4,783 of 9,690

Quote:
Am I correct in assuming that a lighter, more threadlike cable that flows/falls freely will prevent the TF10s from falling out?

No, it will actually be worse and fall out more unless it also has memory wire around the ears.

I must be the only one on the board that loves the cable.  No microphonics, tangle proof and perfect length

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #4,784 of 9,690
FWIW, I like the stock cables....I just got the TF10 about a month ago (couldn't wait for the Amazon sale....).  Although, I also got the mic cable version for the TF10i version from the Logitech website.  Really like it in use with the iPhone.  Did the flip mod when I got the new cable (used to use my other UE set with the flip mod also....works really well for me).  My only drawback is almost every IEM I try (pretty much since finding Head-Fi), is that the only tip option that a) stays comfortable for hours at a time, and b) doesn't fall out....is the Comply.  So I used their coupon last week to stock up.....

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #4,785 of 9,690
I wish it had cables like the A151s. Those are perfect IMO. Also my supertips came in today, and i have to say, that they make these ALOT more comfortable compared to the stock tips. I'm currently using the XS gel tips, the foams are great too and make it feel as if nothing is in your ear~!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back