Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jun 19, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #3,826 of 9,690
Just ordered my pair off of eBay yesterday, and am eagerly waiting for it to arrive. Man, last time I had a good pair of headphones was in September... Sheesh, finally I got myself to stop spending money on other useless crap. Just wondering, compared to the Westone 3's (favorite universal IEM), what is the main difference between TF10's and the W3's? 

I probably should have read up more on these, but to be honest I just really wanted to try them out. Worst comes to Worst, I'll sell them or trade them then. 

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #3,827 of 9,690

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the custom tips and how much do they cost?

As for the TF10's vs TF10 Pro's, I bought mine back when they were the pros and a few months back the original cable broke just before the connector. After emailing UE since you can't order some stuff to Canada they sent me 2 free cables. One regular and one with the microphone. Anyways, i found the original to be much stiffer and better made than the new ones. The old ones if you had them in the metal case they come with, it would take a while for them to fully unwind, but the new ones are kinda flimsy and I don't know how long it will last.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #3,828 of 9,690
ive recently started liking these very much but i do have a few questions. i have been reading alot of comments on how crappy the fit is. what is just so terrible about them? are they not comfortable? is it the seal? are they not staying in your ears? isolation? i am planning to use the complys that come with them (i prefer foams) so hopefully isolation wont be bad, im coming from a pair of er6i's so i guess isolation wont really be as good unless i get another pair of ety's. can they be worn down instead of over the ear without any issue? (other than maybe some microphonics). whats this so called "flip mod" that i keep reading about? if i do grab these, ill probably want to buy a different cable later down the road. what are some good cables? i imagine each cable adds something different. sorry for the noobie questions, these just really intrigue me. they look so nice too, that blue is an awesome color. how do these compare to the UE700's? and one last thing, how is sleeping in these? do they stick out too far? thanks everyone!

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #3,829 of 9,690
The problem is that the earpieces are big and shaped rather oddly, and the nozzles are fairly wide. If your ear canal geometry isn't right for them, then they can be quite painful to wear. 

I highly recommend that you wear them over the ear. Get used to this type of wear because virtually all high-end IEMs are worn in this manner.

The flip mod is when you swap the cables (left/right) so the earpieces can essentially be worn "backwards". Some people find that this allows for a more comfortable fit, like me. I personally wear my set with the flip mod.

To be quite honest, I do not believe that the TF10s are resolving enough to warrant a replacement cable, but hey. Your money is your money. 

They stick out too far to sleep in them comfortably.

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #3,830 of 9,690
For me, the best fit is the flip flop mod + Sony Hybrid tips. I can wear them for hours without any ear pain. They are really big though so don't try sleeping with them on.

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #3,831 of 9,690
How much is the isolation improved by these over the stock tips?

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the custom tips and how much do they cost?

As for the TF10's vs TF10 Pro's, I bought mine back when they were the pros and a few months back the original cable broke just before the connector. After emailing UE since you can't order some stuff to Canada they sent me 2 free cables. One regular and one with the microphone. Anyways, i found the original to be much stiffer and better made than the new ones. The old ones if you had them in the metal case they come with, it would take a while for them to fully unwind, but the new ones are kinda flimsy and I don't know how long it will last.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #3,832 of 9,690
@matt9292 The tips are from ACS Custom. They tend to stick out more as it the tips fill the concha as well. So I don't wear them over the ears as its more awkward, but I have no problems with wearing them hanging down.

With the customs, you also get a much more comfortable and better seal. I literally do not feel them at all, this is obviously dependent on the impressions and as with any customs, may require a bit of back and forth if you're not entirely happy. Although, what I found with mine was initially, I didn't like the fit, thought one side was better than the other but after time, somehow they both equalised, perhaps with better insertion technique as you learn how it should fee when its "right".

With sound quality, you really cannot get any better, everything sounds so much better for me, as I never could wear the stock tips comfortably. The bore is relatively wide and open (singled bore), and it goes very deep, as you can see, to the 2nd bend in the ear canal.

As I used my TF10s on a daily basis, it was very easy to justify the expenditure. I just couldn't stand the stock tips as even the small tips stretched my canal more painfully than I could stand.

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #3,833 of 9,690
I think there should be a new thread being opened specifically for those with TF10 after market cables, and everyone who has aftermarket cables can post their thoughts on their cable, so like an "impressions thread on aftermarket cables for the TF10"

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #3,834 of 9,690
That's a good idea. I recently obtained the TF10 and find the memory wire on the stock cable very annoying. I have been looking for cheap alternatives, but I cannot decide.
frown.gif

Quote:
I think there should be a new thread being opened specifically for those with TF10 after market cables, and everyone who has aftermarket cables can post their thoughts on their cable, so like an "impressions thread on aftermarket cables for the TF10"

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #3,835 of 9,690
I ordered Beat Audio's Sonic cable($140) but unfortunately there was a communication/confusion in my request.  I asked that I wanted the yellow color similar to their Trophy cable on my Sonic one.  The seller thought I ordered the Trophy cable with Triple fi10 connectors.  So after this quick build review, I will be packing the Trophy cable and have it exchange to the Sonic one.  The seller was very helpful and admitted on the mis-communication.

Null audio Lune cable($118 + s/h) vs. Beat Audio Trophy cable($66 + s/h)

Lune cable(left)                                                                  Trophy cable(right)                                                                                                          

no sleeve = will unravel in the future no added protection to the cable

double sleeved = double wire protection and won't unravel = BI-WINNING!!!!!!!

The left and right indicators are no more than just paint smudges.  Is this what $118 cable is like?!?!  My excitement disappeared when I saw this.

Even though the Trophy cable is cheaper than the Lune, you can see how professional looking this "cheaper" cable is compared to its more expensive Lune cable.

Trophy cable connector(left)   Lune cable connector(right)

The two cable's neck choker are just made of cheap plastic tube that in time will expand and won't hold it's 'choking' attribute 

Packaging:
- the Null Audio Lune cable came in a plastic zip loc bag wrapped in bubble wrap then put inside big padded eveloop.
- the Beat Audio Trophy cable came in a plastic zip loc wrapped in bubble wrap inside a very nice, cloth cushioned Beat audio box. The box is wrapped in bubble wrap then put inside a big padded envelop.
It seems like the cheaper Trophy cable(Beat Audio) is better made than the Lune cable(Null Audio). 
So guys/gals you decide if the more expensive Lune cable is better or more deserving of it's price tag than the cheaper Trophy.
BTW, both of these cables are silver plated OFC.

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #3,837 of 9,690
I've owned a couple Lune and Enyo cables from Null before I started building my own, the build quality was more or less not satisfactory, but it was mostly about the sound for me and they definitely delivered. They do look a little horrendous for the money spent though. I no longer own any and I hear their customer service is slipping, but thats expected when a small company gets busier. I'm happy that people are beginning to hear the difference with headphone recables and a new business is coming out of this when before, there were either deaf or very narrowminded people who insisted that everybody else was wrong.

Since were showing our Viablue terminated cables, this is a 6N UPOCC 28AWG solid core silver (really baller stuff) cable that I made for Nucgaek. One thing about Beat Audio cables is that they sure are pretty, they're even more attractive to me than the ALO and Whiplash cables. But Beat Audio uses really thin and tightly wound wire which is a big nono for me. I traded iLiquid for one of my cables for his Athena and I'll report back impressions. I'm looking forward to it since it's so darn attractive. Gotta put on a new connector since he kinda tore his off just to look at it haha.

Nucgaek:

iLiquid's cable:

TheAwesomeSauceShow, what do you have to report on sonic quality between the two, or are they about the same? I'm under the impression everybody gets their materials from the same place these days (from a Hong Kong distributor) so I'd imagine if they're both in the OFC silver plated flavor, they'll be similar +/- any minute differences in braiding and sheathing.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #3,838 of 9,690

Quote:
I've owned a couple Lune and Enyo cables from Null before I started building my own, the build quality was more or less not satisfactory, but it was mostly about the sound for me and they definitely delivered. They do look a little horrendous for the money spent though. I no longer own any and I hear their customer service is slipping, but thats expected when a small company gets busier. I'm happy that people are beginning to hear the difference with headphone recables and a new business is coming out of this when before, there were either deaf or very narrowminded people who insisted that everybody else was wrong.

Since were showing our Viablue terminated cables, this is a 6N UPOCC 28AWG solid core silver (really baller stuff) cable that I made for Nucgaek. One thing about Beat Audio cables is that they sure are pretty, they're even more attractive to me than the ALO and Whiplash cables. But Beat Audio uses really thin and tightly wound wire which is a big nono for me. I traded iLiquid for one of my cables for his Athena and I'll report back impressions. I'm looking forward to it since it's so darn attractive. Gotta put on a new connector since he kinda tore his off just to look at it haha.

TheAwesomeSauceShow, what do you have to report on sonic quality between the two, or are they about the same? I'm under the impression everybody gets their materials from the same place these days (from a Hong Kong distributor) so I'd imagine if they're both in the OFC silver plated flavor, they'll be similar +/- any minute differences in braiding and sheathing.

I honestly don't know how to describe sound but IMO the Lune brings out brighter/more lively sound with a tight bass where as the Trophy has darker/bass-ier sound.
I actually prefer the sound coming from the Lune cable, but just can't get over the bad build quality compared to the cheaper Trophy.  

P.S. - please take my sound analysis with a grain of salt(yes I read the thread about describing sound and I'm still lost
confused.gif
)  I will also going to take pictures of the more expensive Beat Audio Sonic cable($140) and do an A/B against the Lune's.  I'm expecting good things about the Sonic since its cheaper brother(Trophy) really impressed me build-wise.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #3,840 of 9,690
The darker sound you're describing is pre burn-in I'm assuming. Thats a discussion for another forum, but yes it exists as ridiculous as the concept is. Thats two myths I solidly believe in I guess haha. Yes I straight up tell people to expect a muddy sound with recessed treble but some people actually like the stuff out of the box. I project that both cables might sound the same. About the describing audio thing, I'll trust a noobs impression 80 percent of the time compared to an overblown romanticized description any day of the week. You hit the nail on the head buddy.

James, they're handrolled out of epoxy in my situation. They ain't pretty but I'll go toe to toe with the best of 'em haha. At least my Sennheiser/Grado cables we're somewhat presentable if you remember those -___-

Honestly the TF.10's are the most fun IEM I ever heard, when I bought the UM2's for MORE money thinking quality > quantity of armatures, I got a more neutral IEM with more bass but I missed the bright treble (being a Grado affcionado), didn't like them. I think in terms of IEM, I really don't like buying subtle differences in sound signature. Quality is definitely all there with most IEMs around the 200 dollar mark these days, I just kind of look at it with that all-or-nothing approach. Either bright with impactful bass, or neutral, analytical, organic. Then theres warm, veiled, and natural like Sennies but I'm referring to their cans. I'd strongly advice anybody to stop purchasing UE though, their new IEMs are terrible compared to the TF.10s. I ordered a pair of 600's which weren't that good to me and would not seal because they wouldn't go deep enough, it was a shallow shell, the 700's are ok at best but theres better out there now.

Westones are probably going to be the alternative for me from now on, shame their cables aren't replaceable. Would love to work my magic on them.

That being said I'm on a HUGE Etymotic kick right now. They might sound boring but they're the most comfortable and easy to seal IEM's I have ever used (been using many IEMs over the last 6 years), even though I only use foamies. Their customer service is better than the people at Whole Foods to me also haha (best place on earth for beer).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back