Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jan 7, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #3,467 of 9,690

Quote:
hey guys, i just got my TF 10.... 
not that impressed really.. sound is very closed, very forward.. it doesn't sound as crisp as I expect it to be

I felt the same way, I sold one pair outright after I got them. Def not crisp or clear, and the Bass is muffled to me. I really don't see what the big deal is, maybe people are impressed with the "3 separate armatures with crossover" sales pitch, but the actual execution is far less convincing.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #3,468 of 9,690
I would suggest the possibility that either your pair was defective or you did not achieve proper fit. The soundstage is fairly wide. High are simply excellent. Bass is well extended with punch but I would like bit more body. Mids are good and only barely recessed with the right tips. I got the best sound with Shure soft flex sleeves for the E2c's. Isolation and comfort are really good with these.

One thing for sure is that these are not closed or muffled. However everyone's ear canals are different and can be affected in very differed ways. It may be simply that this design doesnt work with your ear. They are ridiculous looking and the cable is annoyingly stiff. I'm surprised more thought for aesthetic ergonomics was not considered in the design.

Hopefully you bought from Amazon. Their return policy is the best!

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #3,470 of 9,690

Quote:
I would suggest the possibility that either your pair was defective or you did not achieve proper fit. The soundstage is fairly wide. High are simply excellent. Bass is well extended with punch but I would like bit more body. Mids are good and only barely recessed with the right tips. I got the best sound with Shure soft flex sleeves for the E2c's. Isolation and comfort are really good with these.

One thing for sure is that these are not closed or muffled. However everyone's ear canals are different and can be affected in very differed ways. It may be simply that this design doesnt work with your ear. They are ridiculous looking and the cable is annoyingly stiff. I'm surprised more thought for aesthetic ergonomics was not considered in the design.

Hopefully you bought from Amazon. Their return policy is the best!

+1

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #3,471 of 9,690
Got mine today, so far impressed, but the tips I find best for them which are the large foamies from sennheiser, I've lost so now i've been trying to find them for the last hour and given up, but yeah I need to get these foamies from sennheiser!

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #3,472 of 9,690
In case anyone is interested, i ordered these bi-flange tips on eBay for a few bucks since they were cheap. They only come in one size but in diff colors.

They arrived today and they look quite good and they also fit the TF10 stem perfectly. Unfortunately the fitment to my ear isnt as good because they are equal to large tips while i am a firm medium. They are very soft silicone, much softer than Sony hybrids.

Heres a pic for reference to other large tips i have

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #3,473 of 9,690
FYI - I have had these for some time now, and the longer I have them the more I like them.  They have now become my main headphones for my PC, displacing my FX500s to my Sansa Clip+.  Source is very important for these guys.  Hooking them into the MP3 player also caused me to conclude that they weren't that impressive (regardless of EQ).  Connecting them to my Asus Xonar U1 and EQing caused me to immediately change my mind.  Bass extension and impact is now fantastic, and clarity is the best among any set I own.

Worth noting - they are a very revealing set.  This set makes lossless worthwhile.

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #3,475 of 9,690
Weird but the TF's sound better out of my iphone 4 than the Sony X1051

Quick question when I put them in there's a slight crackle noise as if the driver is flexing ? I thought this only happens to dynamics? can someone explain what this is? :S I'm worried that I'm damaging the drivers

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #3,476 of 9,690
Mine just arrived today, got them for $147, They are the black box ones with right angle plug.

I just popped them in my ears with the tips that were on them and found them very comfortable and it seems the tips are perfect for me though I will try out the supplied comply's.

I have them burning in as it seems that is a good thing for these but right out of the box I know I am going to very much enjoy the sound!

I wanted something portable that sounds similar to my D5000's and I think these might do the trick, lovely detail and bass and a lovely crisp treble.

Can't think why I did not get a pair of these at the start!

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #3,478 of 9,690

Quote:
how durable are these? im considering getting them for a friend....

Can't say long term but my initial impressions are they seem well made, the cable reminds me of the thick cable that is on my Etymotic ER4S's

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #3,479 of 9,690
So I have just six hours on these now and notice differences. I am listening to the wonderful Lyle Lovett Album, I love everybody,of which I am well acquainted!

I think I have found my ideal in ear monitor (until I hear something better that is
wink_face.gif
)

The percussion on This album is wonderful and my Denon's really show it off well, now I have in ear monitors that come oh so close to the full size cans!

I just tried the supplied comply's but found they took away the crispness a little, now I have the medium sized silicone in my right ear and small in my left and am just reveling in the sound. I know these have been superseded by others but they sound great to my ears.

Very very impressed with them so far. I will plug them  in all night to my DVD player on low and see what a few more hours do to them!

No microphonics on the cable. The build on mine is good, I do not think I would have been upset if I had shelled out the full price.

I have read so much of how difficult it is to fit these and find comfort. I must be really lucky as these have been the easiest to fit and find the right seal and comfort of all my other IEM's

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #3,480 of 9,690

Quote:
Weird but the TF's sound better out of my iphone 4 than the Sony X1051

Funny you should say this, because I found the same with the Sony S639F, i.e., didn't sound special at all, while they sounded wonderful out of a Sansa Fuze.  Yet the Sony usually sounds better than my other players when I use cheap earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back