Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Aug 26, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #9,542 of 9,690
All right! 
beerchug.gif

It was called "flipside mod" (literally, not translated) in the German community (oh man, those were some good times back then but things have happened in the past so that I won't ever loose any good word about that specific German audio community site), which is also why I only found very few Head-Fi related Google entries when searching for "flipside mod Ultimate Ears".

Nice to know what the inofficial Head-Fi denomination for this easy to do modification is/was. 
smile.gif

Aug 26, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #9,543 of 9,690
So there! I couldn't find anything conclusive.

It's funny reading up on it knowing what to look for - people complaining the mod makes them out of phase. You'd have to put one driver in one direction and another driver in the opposite direction to make this happen; you have the exact same risk without flipping them!

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #9,544 of 9,690

my 1st upgrade cable from Mingo HK

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #9,546 of 9,690
Holy mother moly! I've been gone for so long. Still rocking the same setup I have since I was here all the time a few *years ago now*. (Not sure how that happened other than I became completely happy and forgot to check in - so I'm saying hi!)

Usually running Triple.Fi10 with the FiiO RC-UE2 cable out of an original C&C BK from various sources. Occasionally I run my old Super.Fi5 Pros (for their flatter more in-your-face signature), or my grand-daddy Sony MDR-7506 when I'm either totally relaxing or listening super critically.

Anyhow... what brings me back was last night looking for another C&C and noticing they're pretty much nowhere to be found..
THAT which led me down the rabbit hole of all the *many* portable amps and now DACs that have sprung up while I wasn't looking.
So...... Became interested in the Topping NX2 and newer FiiO Q1 and popped in here wondering if anyone in this thread runs the TF10s with either or both. I'd love a better DAC to replace the crappy/noisy one in my Thinkpad and these seem to fit the bill as well as double as another portable analog amp.

Forgot how much I dug this site. Cheers.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #9,547 of 9,690
Recently I had one of the cable plug ends snap off *in* one of my TF10s... so now in my left monitor it has one hole filled with the former metal plug end.

Any recommendations on how to get it out? I was thinking a strong rare earth magnet or maybe I should just get them custom molded since that's something I've been considering for the longest time, ha! 

I purchased my TF10s in 2009 and have not found a reason to upgrade since... I love these guys.

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #9,550 of 9,690
Recently I had one of the cable plug ends snap off *in* one of my TF10s... so now in my left monitor it has one hole filled with the former metal plug end.

Any recommendations on how to get it out? I was thinking a strong rare earth magnet or maybe I should just get them custom molded since that's something I've been considering for the longest time, ha! 

I purchased my TF10s in 2009 and have not found a reason to upgrade since... I love these guys.

Your best bet is using safety pin or thumb tack's sharp pointer to get rid of......gl!!!

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #9,551 of 9,690

This has happened so many time over the years. One of the best tricks I heard was geting a sharp Stanley blade and dig it into the side of the broken pin (if its above the socket slightly) then once a groove is formed pull upwards with a twisting motion. Magnets not going to be strong enough, a pin will just bend. No promise it will work though.

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #9,553 of 9,690
  Hey all, thanks for the tips!

I hadn't realized how common of an issue this was. I'm surprised it didn't happen to me sooner - nearly 7 years of use though I did have to replace the cable along the way.

I've had mine for about 5 years now and had it reshelled about 3 years ago.  DO THIS ASAP.  Worth every penny.  The pin getting stuck is a sign...

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #9,554 of 9,690
After a few failed attempts with different tools it looks like I'm finally going to pursue a re-shell! I've wanted to pretty much since I've had these guys so it's about time. Found a place nearby that does ear impressions for $75/$55 CAD/USD so I'm going take advantage of that.

I actually have an unopened backup set of UE10s, but I'm hesitating on breaking into them... I don't really need to, but I lack a decent portable sound option now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back