Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
May 1, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #9,526 of 9,690
  [...]

SuperFi 5 back in 2009 when it was still branded as a UE product, and got myself the UE600 this year, which was supposed to be identical.

This two has nothing in common at all. Superfi5 is dual driver. UE600 - single.

He's referring to the Super.Fi 5, not the Super.Fi 5 Pro (which was indeed a dual-driver BA in-ear with kind of "Triple.Fi 10-shaped" bodies).

The regular Super.Fi 5 was a top-firing single-BA in-ear with the same body shape as its successor, the UE600. I don't know if there are any tuning changes (dampers, impedance), but the connector has changed (angled vs. the previous straight one) and of course the packaging.

The regular Super.Fi 5 gets overlooked way too often.

beerchug.gif

May 1, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #9,527 of 9,690

He's referring to the Super.Fi 5, not the Super.Fi 5 Pro 

Thanks Chris, that's correct. 
ksc75smile.gif

On the UE600 the jack has been changed to right angle (but still no strain relief), the cable has become much softer/rubbery, and the sound didn't quite seem as refined as with the original SuperFi 5 (especially the treble?). Not facts, just impressions as I happen to own both.

Maybe the TF10 design/sound could have been subtly changed during the UE-Logitech transition, maybe not. I don't know the TripleFi enough to judge.

End of the disgression. 

May 2, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #9,530 of 9,690
That being said, is it still worth it to get the TF10? Also, at what price (USD) should they be selling at? Many thanks :)

Yes, it is worth it - try and avoid possible fakes as discussed earlier on this thread. Originals came with a gunmetal grey box. TF10 is getting harder to come by, but shop around on eBay and you'll get a deal.

May 2, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #9,531 of 9,690
Yes, it is worth it - try and avoid possible fakes as discussed earlier on this thread. Originals came with a gunmetal grey box. TF10 is getting harder to come by, but shop around on eBay and you'll get a deal.

I know of a place which has a couple units still available BNIB, but the price seems a bit high, at around SGD700 (~USD520), which is why I wanna compare and see if it's worth it risking getting a pair online, or just getting it there directly.

May 2, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #9,532 of 9,690
  That being said, is it still worth it to get the TF10?

Imvho yes - but with the Audio Technica ATH-IM03, you get the basically same sound signature, just with better resolution and a deeper soundstage. I have been secretly eyeing for an in-ear that sounds just like the Triple.Fi 10 but is technically superior. And I've found it with the Audio Technica. Fit might be problematic though.

♥♥♥​

May 3, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #9,533 of 9,690
I know of a place which has a couple units still available BNIB, but the price seems a bit high, at around SGD700 (~USD520), which is why I wanna compare and see if it's worth it risking getting a pair online, or just getting it there directly.

At that price I would get an IE800 (can be had just north of $500 if you wait for a deal)... my TF10's only come out on rare occasion for comparision's sake....

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #9,534 of 9,690
Just wanted to post a PSA, because I searched this thread for better fitting tips, and saw a lot of mention of "Monster Gel and Foam SuperTip Sampler Starter Kit" and ordered them for myself. However, they do not fit the Triple.fi well! The holes at the ends are far too small and completely change the sound signature of the phones for the worse!

What did fit better, however, was something called "Inairs Air2", after cutting about 2mm off the rear of those tips. Now, my Triple.fi don't pop out of my ears every 2 minutes or so anymore. A little warning, however: They're a wax magnet and you need water to clean them off properly.

As for the Monster Gel things, I don't see how I could cut anything to enlarge the holes in them without completely ruining the tips.

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #9,535 of 9,690
I've been using JVC Spiral Dots with the TripleFi and they're fantastic. It's important to keep the bore of the IEM open, and this one is rather large.

I recommend Spiral Dots for any "Comply 500" series earphone.

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #9,536 of 9,690
I have been looking at the spiral dots and the spinfits. I've heard they both are good for the TF10's. I also picked up a cheap pair of skullcandy ime's (needed something cheap to use and leave at work) that should use the same size.

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #9,537 of 9,690
I have nothing good to say about Spinfits.

I am a firm believer that you need to get tips that have a bore radius that closely matches the IEM - the TripleFi are Comply 500 sized, where the SpinFits are Comply 200 sized at most. I BELIEVE the number refers to bore radius (i.e. 500 = 5mm), but I could be mistaken.

Spiral Dots perfectly fit large-bore IEMs like the TripleFi and IE80 and they come in very good sizes.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #9,539 of 9,690
I find these to fit way better if I flip the earpieces, so that the earpiece marked L plugs into the cable at the right receptacle marked R and vice versa.

They now point inwards to my ear instead of outwards, and the hook over my ear sits much closer to my head. Has anybody tried this?

Aug 26, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #9,540 of 9,690
I find these to fit way better if I flip the earpieces, so that the earpiece marked L plugs into the cable at the right receptacle marked R and vice versa.

They now point inwards to my ear instead of outwards, and the hook over my ear sits much closer to my head. Has anybody tried this?

Known as the "Ultimate Ears flip-side mod", I think a few people have tried this. 
wink.gif

Not me though as I get a good fit the classical way, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back