Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Dec 6, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #9,421 of 9,690
Loved my TF10 for quite a while. Upgraded to the Westone W4 and funny thing, they mostly sat in the drawer while ai listened to the TF10. Then I tried full size cans including the T90 and HE-560. It wasn't until I bought the 1964 Ears (now 64 Audio) V6-Stage did I find something that took the magic of the TF10 and ran with it. Since then I've bought their TOTL A12 and am regularly floored by what they can do. While their U3 is at the top of your budget I think it's a purchase you will appreciate for years to come.

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #9,422 of 9,690
  @HiFiChris thanks for the detailed reply

My source is my cellphone and occasionally my computer. That's not the issue with my TF10s I think. 

The problem with my TF10s is really weird. When I first put them on they work OK, but the left earphone gradually loses volume as I keep them on, or if I keep taking them off and back on. I think the issue is related to the pressure in the earphone or something if that makes any sense. When I put them on they completely seal my ear canal which changes the pressure in the IEM. 

It's not the cable, I tried changing that. 

Anyways, I googled the models you suggested and there seems to be little info about them. I also can't find any canada or US based shop that sells them online

What cellphone and computer (MacBook?) are you using?
The "problem" is that the Triple.Fi 10 are multi-BA in-ears with crossovers that have a varying impedance response over the tonal spectrum (i.e. the treble has got a lower impedance than the bass). If you connect the earphones to a source that has a high output impedance (e.g. many cellphones), the Triple.Fi 10 won't sound as intended (they will lose treble; the amount depends on the exact output impedance).

The point is, the Triple.Fi 10 will sound much more v-shaped from a close to 0 Ohms source, but will sound different (and deviate from their "intended" signature) from a higher impedance source.
I'm just trying to figure out what you are looking for, because it could be that you are hearing your Triple.Fi 10 differently (because you have probably a higher-impedance source) than others.

By the way, there is a dedicated Fischer Amps thread here on Head-Fi where you should get more information. :wink:

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #9,423 of 9,690
  hey guys,

My TF10's died like 2 years ago after using them for a few years. Those were my first 'high-end' IEM (and favourite IEM I ever tried) and when they died I replaced them with some eh 100$ sony headphones. I'm tired of those so I'm looking to buy a new high-end IEM. So far I'm planning on buying westone W40, anyone has recommandations other than the W40s?

Try the W30, much closer to the TF10 and IMHO better than the W40.  I found the W40 the most disappointing IEM I have tried to date.

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #9,424 of 9,690
Try the W30, much closer to the TF10 and IMHO better than the W40.  I found the W40 the most disappointing IEM I have tried to date.
[/quote]

What about choosing between W30 and FA-4E XB?
Can someone make a direct comparison?

I was just about to buy W30 but I quitted after listening to UM Pro 30 - very disappointing, the music was completely lifeless.

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #9,425 of 9,690

What about choosing between W30 and FA-4E XB?
Can someone make a direct comparison?

I was just about to buy W30 but I quitted after listening to UM Pro 30 - very disappointing, the music was completely lifeless.[/quote]

UM Pro 30 and the W30 will be voiced quite differently as their intended use is very different.  I would take a listen to at least one of the W series before scratching them off your list.  I haven't personally compared the two models but this was the advice I received when looking at the UM vs W line.  Reviews and impressions seem to back this up.

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #9,426 of 9,690
Reviews and impressions seem to back this up.

Thanks, from reviews W30 seems overpriced compared with FA-4E XB that's why I'm looking for a direct comparison. Besides that, W30 is practically UM Pro 30 tuned for a fun sound, thus not being a night and day difference I'm thinking.

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #9,428 of 9,690
I woke up a few days ago, switched on my laptop and proceeded to comb the fresh eBay listing's over coffee. Then I saw it, right there in front of me, the glistening metallic blue shells, the black cable, that shinning aluminium tin next to a black box...

I said "you can't", "you've done this 5 times already", "come on H20 pull yourself together". At first I closed the tab and walked away but no matter what I did I was drawn to them looking up at me!

I then proceeded to msg the seller and offer a fair price for "the blue bolts" almost like unconscious action. Before long I had the price I wanted, they were mine, all u had to do was pay..

What happened next...? :wink:

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #9,429 of 9,690
I woke up a few days ago, switched on my laptop and proceeded to comb the fresh eBay listing's over coffee. Then I saw it, right there in front of me, the glistening metallic blue shells, the black cable, that shinning aluminium tin next to a black box...

I said "you can't", "you've done this 5 times already", "come on H20 pull yourself together". At first I closed the tab and walked away but no matter what I did I was drawn to them looking up at me!

I then proceeded to msg the seller and offer a fair price for "the blue bolts" almost like unconscious action. Before long I had the price I wanted, they were mine, all u had to do was pay..

What happened next...?
wink.gif

There is when you will find out how far the IEM world have moved along...

Actually for some odd reasons, Logitech relaunched TF10 as TF15 in China about 3 years ago. Though it seems to have discontinued by now, you can still find brand new TF15 on Taobao (probably among lots of fake).

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #9,430 of 9,690
There is when you will find out how far the IEM world have moved along...

Actually for some odd reasons, Logitech relaunched TF10 as TF15 in China about 3 years ago. Though it seems to have discontinued by now, you can still find brand new TF15 on Taobao (probably among lots of fake).

You're always one step ahead ClieOS, as I've said you're like that wise audio guru on top of a snowy mountain one treks 10,000 steps to visit.

That's pretty much what happened in the end, I came to my senses and let them go. I don't know why, but the TF10 haunt me each time I see them, I'm drawn to them like a magnetic force, but after 4 times previous ownership enough was a enough. :wink:

Had you seen this btw?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/791727/jh-audio-triplefi-10-reboot-japan-only-limited-to-1000-pairs

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #9,432 of 9,690

What happened next...? :wink:

Thanks for passing this story. Exactly the situation that I/others don't want to end up in.

Almost sold mine recently. Gave it a last minute listen. 6 years and still beautiful.

Muuust not give into selling temptation. Will just re-buy.

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #9,433 of 9,690
Had you seen this btw?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/791727/jh-audio-triplefi-10-reboot-japan-only-limited-to-1000-pairs

Yes I did, though I do believe the crossover circuit will be changed from two ways to three ways (or so I have read), which means it probably won't be identical sounding to the old TF10 anyway. Not that it really matters, as Japaneses just love their limited edition in whichever way.

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #9,434 of 9,690
  So you sold the pairs again? I sold 3 pairs and still have one somewhere, I never got a good fit with those. But now the prices here in Germany are 180-200 Euros & I will never dare to pick them up again.

No, I didn't end up buying the most recent pair mentioned. 
smile.gif

I have owned TF10 five times in total since joining Head-fi. Four functional units and 1 which arrived faulty with the socket pulled out. 
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #9,435 of 9,690
Quote: The only problem for TF 10 is...too big to fit the ear...

That's why I had mine reshelled by inearz.  TF-10 is a really good, fun, efficient headphone.  Paired with a blue ant ribbon and a short cable from Ted, it is a pretty good wireless rig with the phone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back