Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jun 5, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #8,986 of 9,690

Where did you get yours done? I'm considering either reshelling my triple-fi or just giving in and buying some higher end ones.

I purchased my triple fi in 2008 I think, which is a good run. Realized despite all the headphones and amps I've bought and sold in that time, I've only had one pair of earphones and was really happy with them. 

I got three re-shells done there (TF10, W4R & JH16FP) - they do great work. For $95, you can't get a better headphone than a re-shelled TF10 - and they are pretty bulletproof

Yea I'm pretty tempted to go with them. Also have looked at "inearcustom" but they have some iffy feedback. They do provide a kit to make impressions which is kind of nice. How much did your impressions cost? Did you reuse for the other two molds?

thanks! 

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #8,987 of 9,690
I don't know about inearcustom - they have had some iffy feedback - I had all three done at the same time. I am wary of doing the impressions myself - the difference with a good fit and a bad fit is usually the quality of impressions. I paid $70 - so you do have to take that cost into account.

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #8,988 of 9,690
Can anyone recommend what Silicon tips I should buy? I usually use my Comply foam tips but I've started using triple fi 10 for my workout as well and the comply just gets ruined by the sweat. Though I'm not sure how good it is to use triple fi for working out either, could the IEMs break easily from it? The cord doesn't matter as it's replacable.

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #8,993 of 9,690
I love the TF10s for the thumping but tight bass that is so hard to get on an IEM. The fit was terrible for me though, so I got them reshelled with UM. The resulting fit was perfect, though the sound became slightly sibilant.

Has anyone found definitive replacements for these recently? I decided to go to UM Miracle after the TF10, but did not like the much flatter and wider signature.

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #8,994 of 9,690
I love the TF10s for the thumping but tight bass that is so hard to get on an IEM. The fit was terrible for me though, so I got them reshelled with UM. The resulting fit was perfect, though the sound became slightly sibilant.

Has anyone found definitive replacements for these recently? I decided to go to UM Miracle after the TF10, but did not like the much flatter and wider signature.

did you try UM mentor? i am a ex- TF10 user..which i still keep the TF10 for future reshell purpose :p and i own um3x-rc....w4r...and my current new ciem is UM mentor..i found that mentor is able to out perform TF10 in many ways :)

it has better instrument separation...clarity...and not to forget the impactful low ...

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #8,995 of 9,690
did you try UM mentor? i am a ex- TF10 user..which i still keep the TF10 for future reshell purpose :p and i own um3x-rc....w4r...and my current new ciem is UM mentor..i found that mentor is able to out perform TF10 in many ways :)

it has better instrument separation...clarity...and not to forget the impactful low ...

I have the Miracles and don't quite like the signature. I find the soundstage a little too wide (weird thing to be complaining about I know) as though the vocals are a little disembodied as oppose to being centered in your head. In fact, I plan to sell my Miracles soon. So i'm a little wary about going to the Mentors.

I did try out the Mentor universals at a shop in Singapore. It does improve upon the Miracles especially on the extended low end. But I still didn't feel that thump. I guess it's almost like comparing reference headphones with Beats Studio headphones. I know the Mentors are much clearer and tighter, but I just enjoy my music more with the TF10s.

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #8,996 of 9,690

Dunu DN-1000 for $200 would be considered a direct upgrade.

There's a member called olddude who owned TF10 for many years. After asking advise I recommended him Dunu DN-1000.

Maybe you can contact him and ask his opinion: http://www.head-fi.org/u/357486/olddude

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #8,997 of 9,690

did you try UM mentor? i am a ex- TF10 user..which i still keep the TF10 for future reshell purpose :p and i own um3x-rc....w4r...and my current new ciem is UM mentor..i found that mentor is able to out perform TF10 in many ways
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the Miracles and don't quite like the signature. I find the soundstage a little too wide (weird thing to be complaining about I know) as though the vocals are a little disembodied as oppose to being centered in your head. In fact, I plan to sell my Miracles soon. So i'm a little wary about going to the Mentors.

I did try out the Mentor universals at a shop in Singapore. It does improve upon the Miracles especially on the extended low end. But I still didn't feel that thump. I guess it's almost like comparing reference headphones with Beats Studio headphones. I know the Mentors are much clearer and tighter, but I just enjoy my music more with the TF10s.

do you have a good seal with the universal mentor? you know the seal can affect the low a lot right? also make sure the pin of the demo unit is complete push in ..as i experience once the pin on the demo is not properly push in and it did affect the sq...

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #8,998 of 9,690
do you have a good seal with the universal mentor? you know the seal can affect the low a lot right? also make sure the pin of the demo unit is complete push in ..as i experience once the pin on the demo is not properly push in and it did affect the sq...

I did have a good seal. And don't get me wrong, they were very good. Just not the same kind of sound as the TF10s.

I'm also just a little wary of the UM customs after spending full-price on the Miracles and not liking them. The Mentors are very expensive!

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #8,999 of 9,690

There's a member called olddude who owned TF10 for many years. After asking advise I recommended him Dunu DN-1000.

Maybe you can contact him and ask his opinion: http://www.head-fi.org/u/357486/olddude

Interesting, thanks for that. Have never heard of this brand.

I am a little concerned about the ergonomics though. I much prefer the behind the ear types. I think this can be wont behind the ear as well, but it isn't built with that in mind i think.

Seems like hybrids are the craze recently. Anyone tried the Sony XBA-H3? Seems like the H1 is crap.

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #9,000 of 9,690

Interesting, thanks for that. Have never heard of this brand.

I am a little concerned about the ergonomics though. I much prefer the behind the ear types. I think this can be wont behind the ear as well, but it isn't built with that in mind i think.

Seems like hybrids are the craze recently. Anyone tried the Sony XBA-H3? Seems like the H1 is crap.

I've auditioned H3 for a week, found it around the same levels as Dunu DN-1000. DN-1000 can be worn over the ear, though Its not really in the design.

I half gazed over your first  post up there earlier. If you're willing to spend amounts of money that equal UM Mentor then maybe Tralucent 1plus2 is for you.

The best hybrid I've ever heard to date. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back