Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
May 31, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #8,971 of 9,690
As an experiment Phil at Cosmic agreed to add a dynamic driver to the mix too!
I was the second customer to request this and the first customer reported that his came out too bassy, so Phil choose a more restrained dynamic for mine.
I'd describe myself as a borderline basshead and am supremely satisfied with the changes to the fit, and the sound.

That's so awesome man. I wasn't sure if it was possible to add a dynamic driver to a custom if they couldn't make the internal volume EXACTLY the same on both sides. If they were different, the drivers would react differently to different frequencies. I'm glad you came out satisfied in the end of the experiment.

May 31, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #8,973 of 9,690
I'm undecided about the soundstage.
If it's changed at all the effect is minimal.
Sadly I don't have access to an unaltered TF10 to do a direct comparison, and Phil had mine for some time while he hunted for the right driver, so I can't reliably go by memory.

Before they were reshelled I found that to get satisfactory mids I was pushing the volume up to the point where the highs were somewhat uncomfortable, and with some music there was a slight 'honking' effect with some high pitched vocals and the like.

Since the reshell I don't feel the need to raise the volume so much to get the mids and bass that I used to miss pre reshell.

Because I was a Guinea pig I got a reduced price for the whole shebang which wasn't much more than a straight reshell, so you'd have to contact Cosmic to see if they'll consider adding a dynamic for you, and what it'd cost.

Have a look at the latest posts on Project 86's Cosmic Ears thread if you'd like to see some recent leaf skeletons in a more reserved green colour which 'daftpolecat' got recently, they're very cool (although I have to declare a bias here as the skeletons were my idea)

Sorry I can't post links, I'm on my mobile :)

May 31, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #8,974 of 9,690
  Anyone looking for a replacement cable for the TF10, Ive had this one for a year now, and it still looks brand new. The nylon sleeve is of the highest quality, no fraying at all. Good luck!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadence-Series-Upgrade-Cable-for-Ultimate-Ears-UE-Triple-Fi-10-SuperFi-5-pro-EB-/181166871642?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2a2e63145a

Is that silver plated copper? I'm reading the auction and it looks like the description is for an all-silver cable - but that price is a bit too low for all silver.

May 31, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #8,975 of 9,690
  Is that silver plated copper? I'm reading the auction and it looks like the description is for an all-silver cable - but that price is a bit too low for all silver.

I got a response from Sean at Affinity Cables...

Hi!

This is made from full silver wire.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Sean

$112 for an all-silver cable is pretty damned good - am I missing something? There is one he sells for JH/Westone as well. I was thinking of getting one to use on some of my customs - but I thought all-silver was going to be around $200++

May 31, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #8,976 of 9,690
Wonder what kind of silver, and stranded or solid core?

May 31, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #8,977 of 9,690
Jun 5, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #8,978 of 9,690
Morning you all!

After 6 years of use my triple fi 10 cracked where the cable connects to the earplug. Is there anything I could do about it to savage them? I was thinking on perhaps getting them custom molded. I think the hot weather in florida has something to do with it and the couple of times that I left it in my car. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #8,980 of 9,690
Thank you! I just talked to them and they are 10 minutes from where I live. Next week I get the impressions and for free, hopefully they will have them ready before I leave to Russia for the summer. Any thoughts on what should I expect? Both good and bad.

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #8,981 of 9,690
  Thank you! I just talked to them and they are 10 minutes from where I live. Next week I get the impressions and for free, hopefully they will have them ready before I leave to Russia for the summer. Any thoughts on what should I expect? Both good and bad.

Good :-

Decent fit,

no wait time (lucky you, ten minutes away!)

the same sound as before.

Customized to look how you want them (within reason of course!)

Bad

Requires refit (but as you are ten minutes away (did I say lucky you?) that shouldn't be too much of an issue).

Not able to have them done on time.  You might want to consider paying extra for rush if you really want them before a certain deadline.

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #8,983 of 9,690
Inearz turnaround time is criminal
biggrin.gif
 - that is compared to all the other shops that take 4-6 weeks. When I re-shelled my TF10's, I bought a new cable and got recessed sockets - something to consider.... Are you using the same 6 year old original cable? Man, that would be a record.

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #8,984 of 9,690
  Inearz turnaround time is criminal
biggrin.gif
 - that is compared to all the other shops that take 4-6 weeks. When I re-shelled my TF10's, I bought a new cable and got recessed sockets - something to consider.... Are you using the same 6 year old original cable? Man, that would be a record.

Where did you get yours done? I'm considering either reshelling my triple-fi or just giving in and buying some higher end ones.

I purchased my triple fi in 2008 I think, which is a good run. Realized despite all the headphones and amps I've bought and sold in that time, I've only had one pair of earphones and was really happy with them. 

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #8,985 of 9,690

Where did you get yours done? I'm considering either reshelling my triple-fi or just giving in and buying some higher end ones.

I purchased my triple fi in 2008 I think, which is a good run. Realized despite all the headphones and amps I've bought and sold in that time, I've only had one pair of earphones and was really happy with them. 

I got three re-shells done there (TF10, W4R & JH16FP) - they do great work. For $95, you can't get a better headphone than a re-shelled TF10 - and they are pretty bulletproof

Users who are viewing this thread

Back