Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Feb 28, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #8,836 of 9,690
I was in Singapore and wanted to drop by Null Audio's showroom. Called their number for like 3 times during their working hours but nobody picked up. Searched local Singapore forums & people commented about fishy business going on with Null Audio. Sent them an email and no reply. No way I'm going to put my credit card to place an order with a company like that.

Next best option and cheaper as well, was the FiiO RC-UE2. 

Packaging is simple, tear to open the pack. Good, I like it, the money should be spent on the product, not the packaging.

Build quality & appearance:
Tight braid of silver plated copper. Appears silvery/white, and appears to be solid core wire as per their description on their website. Connectors are well machined and no rough edges in grey. Also, the connector to the left & right ear piece sits flush, no gap, so that's good. 

Microphonics: 
Its slightly worst than the stock cable but no where as bad as some reviews say. If you have music playing it won't be an issue. I use this commuting on the train and have no issues walking. For running I wouldn't know since i rather drive than run.

Sound quality:
Better than stock, significantly improves the TF10 in terms of better clarity, opens up the vocals. bass wise I don't notice a change, it was pretty good to begin with. FWIW my original cable is the one with a mic+button. 

Ergonomics:
The loop on the ear is sorta "fixed". Its soft, but won't curve any more or any less, its just that shape. No memory wire in it. The wires don't easily tangle like the stock one. 

Dislikes:
Should come with a nylon sleeve at the very least, would help with the microphonics, I don't like the feel of the braid but that's personal. And the color is very boring, I guess with a nylon sleeve you can have it in any color you want. White/Silvery is so iApple. 

All in all, for the $34 I paid, its great. Don't mind paying a couple of bucks more for it to have a nylon sleeve.

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #8,837 of 9,690
I was in Singapore and wanted to drop by Null Audio's showroom. Called their number for like 3 times during their working hours but nobody picked up. Searched local Singapore forums & people commented about fishy business going on with Null Audio. Sent them an email and no reply. No way I'm going to put my credit card to place an order with a company like that.

Maybe things have changed for them recently but they replaced a faulty cable of mine in January. No questions asked. Although it took a couple of emails.

Sound quality is excellent, so in that respect I would recommend them.

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #8,838 of 9,690
Just chiming in here to show some love for the Triple Fi 10s.

I've had mine for 4-5 years now and they haven't failed me once.  I use them to run with (sometimes in the rain), I have traveled all over with them.  Sometimes they go to school/work with me.  My only hang up was that I had to purchase a new cable because the aftermarket cable that came with them stopped working.

Also, I purchased them used, so there is no telling how long the first owner had them.

Long story short, they are built to last, don't hesitate to buy a pair of these!

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #8,840 of 9,690
I've read a bunch of posts here and elsewhere regarding the TF10's (and the cable) fragility and tendencies to break. I think people have a tendency to treat them like the buds that come with an Ipod. One thing you CAN say about Ibuds (besides that they sound like ca-ca!) is that they're tough. You can yank them out of your ears by the cable, you can wrap them around the pod and stuff them into your bag or pocket. I don't have much experience with other high-end IEM's, perhaps they can be treated roughly, but these are things that you should absolutely NOT do with TF10's! I'm not saying they need to be treated like fine porcelain china BUT, don't yank 'em or wrap 'em or stuff 'em and they'll last for a good long time!

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #8,841 of 9,690
....another TF10 killer just occurred to me!:wink:. This actually happened to me with their little brothers; the SF5's. Wearing them the standard way and going to bed. After owning the 5's for a few years, I did this one night and woke up to one of them in pieces! Was a blessing in disguise as this led me to purchasing the 10's as replacements AND learning about the flip mod which is an improvement in every way AND allow me to wear 'em in bed which I do practically every night!

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #8,842 of 9,690
Ok, so I just got them today and have been listening to them all day with a range of music. First off, I love them. My IEM's before this were the MEElec A151p, and TF10s (obviously) are a huge step up.

As far as comfort goes, I did what I would assume is the flip mod (I switched the cable so the angle is better and the cable actually goes around my ear) and the comfort, for me, is fantastic, I am using the comply tips (was never a fan of foam tips until now).

I do have one question though for you guys: I have been listening to them amped (e11) and unamped through an iPod 5G, and honestly I dont see how the amp helps at all. I have heard that they sound better amped, but I guess I dont see it. Any tips on how I can maximize their potential while amped, or is my amp not good enough to really hear a difference?

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #8,843 of 9,690
  Ok, so I just got them today and have been listening to them all day with a range of music. First off, I love them. My IEM's before this were the MEElec A151p, and TF10s (obviously) are a huge step up.

As far as comfort goes, I did what I would assume is the flip mod (I switched the cable so the angle is better and the cable actually goes around my ear) and the comfort, for me, is fantastic, I am using the comply tips (was never a fan of foam tips until now).

I do have one question though for you guys: I have been listening to them amped (e11) and unamped through an iPod 5G, and honestly I dont see how the amp helps at all. I have heard that they sound better amped, but I guess I dont see it. Any tips on how I can maximize their potential while amped, or is my amp not good enough to really hear a difference?

I cant say I have ever tried an amp, but these are so easy to drive, I don't see the point.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #8,844 of 9,690
bro everything sounds better amped!
its nothing to do with power just amps tend to have better sound quality.
use a better quality amp is a given as no cheap crappy amps need apply

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #8,845 of 9,690

Personally I think E11 isn't a very good amp period, and secondly not a good match for TF10. The C&C BH2 is a better match for Triple-Fi, the pairing made the 'crazy synergy' list in our BH thread. Honestly though unless you just want to test it TF10 are pretty good without an amp. With the C&C BH2 you can tighten up the bass, extract more clarity, widen the soundstage further, though it's more a tweak than a requirement, there are improvements though.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #8,846 of 9,690
  bro everything sounds better amped!
its nothing to do with power just amps tend to have better sound quality.
use a better quality amp is a given as no cheap crappy amps need apply

Now if only cables made a difference, hey Ted.
beerchug.gif

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #8,847 of 9,690
Ok thanks guys,

Yea I only have the e11 and have not really been a huge fan of it, I think it distorts way too easily.

As far as the BH2 goes, what are the three switches on the bottom for? (pardon my ignorance)

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #8,848 of 9,690
Alright after hours of reading and following the Famous "chinese / Asian Brand " thread an lots of other I finally pulled the plug and bought my self UE TF10 in used condition BUT only one earpiece typ was used for about three band session in a small studio
and then left and forgotten in the supply rack.
I bought them for EUR 135,- inkl. shipping that 187 USD I hope they arrive soon... I have to try them out and MAYBE let them remold into CIEM :)

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #8,849 of 9,690
Ok thanks guys,

Yea I only have the e11 and have not really been a huge fan of it, I think it distorts way too easily.

As far as the BH2 goes, what are the three switches on the bottom for? (pardon my ignorance)

The switches on the back are.

Low/high gain

LF: (bass boost and slight treble boost) basically makes the entire presentation sound really clear and boosts clarity.

SF: enhances the soundstage and adds a bit of crossfeed.

All you need switched on for TF10 though is the LF switch on low gain using output 1. The amps soundstage is already wide and airy. It's a little legend amp, made me and many others very happy. I've left it behind now, but they still talk about it daily.

There a ton of members impressions logged below my review if you scroll down.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #8,850 of 9,690
I had the BH and used it flat (all switches off) and I liked it that way- I'm not a basehead.  Then I moved up to a JDS Labs C5 amp and that was even better.  Oh, and yeah, I have Ted's cable and that made a big difference as well.  But even with my iPhone4 (have a 5S now but don't listen to music with it) and the stock cable the TF10s sounded just fine.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back