Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Sep 13, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #4,081 of 9,690
I've just got a box full of tips from previous IEMs I've had. Don't have the official UE tips. Tried all kinds of tips ranging from ones from MEE, Sony, JVC, and styles from single, bi-flange, tri-flange, and foam; and still cannot find one that fits good. I think the cords half the problem though.

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #4,082 of 9,690
Hi, i am new to the world of entry to mid level IEM. I decided to take the plunge from my Sunrise Xcape and just bought a pair of TF10. So far i am very pleased with the sound from the TF10 ( loved the wide soundstage and clarity :) but i wonder if not using an amp is a problem?
i heard from another forum that the soundchip from my 160gb ipod is not very good and many ppl prefer using an amp to bypass it directly. Moreover if i am planning to reshell and add another driver at UM.
I'm sorry if this questions is asked before as i'm only till page 31 of this thread. Had just finished reading all 190 pages of the UM remould appreciation thread and got my mind poisoned :p Will finish the rest of the threads soon :)
So can anyone give any suggestion? Appreciate it thx.

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #4,083 of 9,690
Loved? so it isn't with you now? Amp's not really necessary, it just drives them better and makes it sound better too. It's not like you don't plug an amp and it wont play music. In the end the preference is yours. Nobody said you cant like the I-pod sound just cause others say it doesn't sound good without an amp. And i was wondering, why so quickly reshell? Fit problems, or you bought it specifically for reshell purpose

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #4,084 of 9,690
Love them with my Lune V2 Cables :D. Thinking of reshelling it though but the fit is better after changing the stock cables for some reason :p. Works nice with my .22 Ordnance Amp too. It increases the sound stage and gives it a nice treble. But works well with my iPod Touch unamped ^^. [Preferred it over my Westone 3s]

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #4,085 of 9,690
I'm thinking of going the custom route with my TF10's because I'm finding that while they are very very comfortable, it's a real pain in the ass getting a good seal. I've stopped using them completely because at work I have to keep pulling the earpieces out every few minutes and then have to hunt for a good seal afterwards.

Thinking about going with Kozee.

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #4,087 of 9,690

Quote:
too bad kozee raised his reshelling prices or else i would have let them reshell my TF10

Yeah that sucks... thinking twice about it now especially because I don't trust myself/my friends about doing the impressions so that extra money.

EDIT: Found an audiologist that will do it for $20 for both ears. I think I'll get those done on Thursday and then save a bit more money and get them reshelled.

Sep 13, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #4,088 of 9,690

Quote:
I've just got a box full of tips from previous IEMs I've had. Don't have the official UE tips. Tried all kinds of tips ranging from ones from MEE, Sony, JVC, and styles from single, bi-flange, tri-flange, and foam; and still cannot find one that fits good. I think the cords half the problem though.

Don't sweat missing the UE tips, they don't just look like dingleberries.  Try Monster (stock or Supertips).

Sep 13, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #4,089 of 9,690

Quote:
Hi, i am new to the world of entry to mid level IEM. I decided to take the plunge from my Sunrise Xcape and just bought a pair of TF10. So far i am very pleased with the sound from the TF10 ( loved the wide soundstage and clarity :) but i wonder if not using an amp is a problem?
i heard from another forum that the soundchip from my 160gb ipod is not very good and many ppl prefer using an amp to bypass it directly. Moreover if i am planning to reshell and add another driver at UM.
I'm sorry if this questions is asked before as i'm only till page 31 of this thread. Had just finished reading all 190 pages of the UM remould appreciation thread and got my mind poisoned :p Will finish the rest of the threads soon :)
So can anyone give any suggestion? Appreciate it thx.

People complain about the iPod Classic DAC chip (usually when compared to the 5G and 5.5G).  I have both the 120GB Classic and the 5.5G; the 5.5G sounds much different, and slightly better, but also think my iPhone 3GS sounds better than both.  All three sound significantly better with the TF10 when you take the signal out via LOD and run it through a better amp.

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #4,090 of 9,690
Go find kiteki? The estimate price he gave me seems like the best I can get in Singapore(Sgd400 flat or less) with shipping, additional mid driver, cables and stuff. i think he's doing it at Guilin

Sep 14, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #4,092 of 9,690
Cables should be those normal braided in-house kinda cables. Stuff is just the misc charges like shipping and stuff, though im not sure if he included impressions, which we have to do ourselves, when he quoted the price. Would have replied you earlier, but my iphone was making posting impossible

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #4,093 of 9,690

Quote:
Loved? so it isn't with you now? Amp's not really necessary, it just drives them better and makes it sound better too. It's not like you don't plug an amp and it wont play music. In the end the preference is yours. Nobody said you cant like the I-pod sound just cause others say it doesn't sound good without an amp. And i was wondering, why so quickly reshell? Fit problems, or you bought it specifically for reshell purpose

Had some fit problem(improved when i used the foams) but wanted more comfort and better seal by reshelling. Since most of the time i listen to them while on the go, it doesn't make sense to me to carry an amp around all the time (doesn't look convenient to me). Wanted to add an additional driver too as sometimes i find the mids too 'recessed' for my liking.

Quote:
People complain about the iPod Classic DAC chip (usually when compared to the 5G and 5.5G).  I have both the 120GB Classic and the 5.5G; the 5.5G sounds much different, and slightly better, but also think my iPhone 3GS sounds better than both.  All three sound significantly better with the TF10 when you take the signal out via LOD and run it through a better amp.

Maybe will really consider getting an amp for use at home. Since i'm gonna add a driver to my TF10s anyway, might as well get the most out of them. I'm from singapore too and am planning to go to Stereo to do the reshell.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Maybe i will take the jump and add more drivers. Looks like i'm getting addicted thanks to this forum!!

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #4,094 of 9,690
Recently my Triple fi 10s managed to stop working somewhere between the hour or so I had to twirl them back in my UE case and when I took them out again. I assumed it was a cable failure and was set to purchase a new cable, but then I realized that I'm not sure if it's the fault of the cables or the unit itself. It's just totally unresponsive when I plug them in, as if the the IEMs were getting no input from my DAP through the cable. Cable failures are nothing new to me, but cables don't usually totally fail like this in my experience, often they lose a channel or something from a broken wire. To that end, I'm wondering if I'm looking at the wrong culprit here and if I should be looking at a whole new pair of IEMs altogether. I know there's no real way to find out which is the problem part without actually getting the new cable, which I probably will end up doing, but I was just wondering if anyone of you guys have experienced this in the past with your triple fis.

Edit: I should also note that as these IEMs are over a year old, that I am past the warranty period and thus cannot RMA these things.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #4,095 of 9,690

Quote:
Recently my Triple fi 10s managed to stop working somewhere between the hour or so I had to twirl them back in my UE case and when I took them out again. I assumed it was a cable failure and was set to purchase a new cable, but then I realized that I'm not sure if it's the fault of the cables or the unit itself. It's just totally unresponsive when I plug them in, as if the the IEMs were getting no input from my DAP through the cable. Cable failures are nothing new to me, but cables don't usually totally fail like this in my experience, often they lose a channel or something from a broken wire. To that end, I'm wondering if I'm looking at the wrong culprit here and if I should be looking at a whole new pair of IEMs altogether. I know there's no real way to find out which is the problem part without actually getting the new cable, which I probably will end up doing, but I was just wondering if anyone of you guys have experienced this in the past with your triple fis.

Edit: I should also note that as these IEMs are over a year old, that I am past the warranty period and thus cannot RMA these things.

yea, that sounds normal with complaints i have heard about the triple fi's, but you really can't know until you get new cables, which if it wasn't the case, you could always return those cables back to wherever you might buy them from. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back