Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Dec 23, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #2,491 of 9,690
So the fit is just terrible. The small tips fit best but sound darker/duller slightly, the medium tips sound best but getting a good seal that stays put is impossible for my ears. Shame too because I think these things have great potential.

Overall impressions:
Soundstage: excellent for an iem

Bass is nice, though I dont think it extends too low (it is very taught/tight)

Mids are nice too, pleasant, maybe lacking just a touch of body/umph but good enough

Highs, here is the kicker, very detailed, almost too much, making it sound analytical and preventing me from enjoying the music. Now this signature changes DRASTICALLY with the tips/fit. But in general I'd say the highs are almost too tinny and lack weight. Especially symbols, they just sound too "s"
or for more proper term, sibilant.

Anyone feel the same?

Dec 23, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #2,493 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacon_N_Cheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the socket that the nozzle goes into supposed to be able to fall off so easily?

The nozzle that holds the tips and the part of the body of the IEM that has the green and red dot on it disconnects from each other VERY easily on my left IEM....ummmm...What?

Dec 23, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #2,494 of 9,690
My first impressions of UE Triple Fi 10 were jaw dropping. I was at working listening to Young MC and it sounded l like the sound was surrounding my whole head, Is that sound stage? The bass was kicking and the highs were bright and clear. I could hear highs before but I never paid much attention to them, I was mostly about bass. Now I like highs. This is one fan-fing-tastic iem. I could not be happier with these. I had to show them off to a friend.

Dec 23, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #2,495 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by francisdemarte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't feel the TF10's are $300 good, but definitely well worth the $99 I paid.

Which other $300. earphones are you comparing to?

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #2,496 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacon_N_Cheese /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The nozzle that holds the tips and the part of the body of the IEM that has the green and red dot on it disconnects from each other VERY easily on my left IEM....ummmm...What?

Wow. I'm convinced now that the nozzle is broken. It literally just fell off as I was taking off the tip for the first time ever, never having even listened to it yet....

My right IEM's nozzle is fine, but the left one is definitely loose. I can't find much info about this problem.

Crap, I guess I need to file for a replacement? Unless someone tells me something I'm doing wrong? What a POS...

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #2,498 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which other $300. earphones are you comparing to?

Fine, let me clarify.

I've been listening to them for about 3-4 hours, and I'm comparing the MSRP $399 TF10's to MSRP $69 NE-8's which I own.

In my opinion, the TF10's are not worth a $330 premium over NE-8's.

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #2,500 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saitek666 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they really need 'burn in', if they indeed need, how many hours?

From all I've read balanced armature drivers don't change with burn in like dynamics can.

And I'm also of the opinion that $300 is too pricey for these. I really like the performance of my TF10's and am delighted with them. But had I paid full retail I wouldn't be nearly as happy, and would likely have tried to get out from under them and gone with a RE0 for $79. My only point of reference in in-ears are my dirt-cheap Koss sparkplugs. They have comply-type foam tips, nice bass but the mids and highs are lacking clarity and detail, but for $13 or so they are fine. Are the TF10's worth a couple thousand percent more in price? Not to me.

Had the $99 sale never happened I probably never would have owned a pair of these and likely would have continued to listen to my Koss plugs for a long time. I'm not knocking the UE's. I think they're great, but to me these are another example of diminishing returns really showing.

Now, with the option of getting custom shells for only another $100 or so, I'm really excited about these. Triple driver customs for around $200 is pretty much unheard of as far as I know.

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #2,501 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, with the option of getting custom shells for only another $100 or so, I'm really excited about these. Triple driver customs for around $200 is pretty much unheard of as far as I know.

Agreed. That's what makes this so exciting, triple driver customs for $200. It's as if everything aligned at once to present this special deal to us!

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #2,502 of 9,690
I feel the difference between my Super Fi 5 Pros now.

I did a 4 way test today.

I took my 3GS earbuds that I gave away to my parents and I tested them. What? Then I put on my Sony Fontopias which I used my 1st and 2nd years in college. I laughed OUT LOUD. I said "THIS IS MUSIC?"

Then I put my 5 Pros on. Great, but I felt like something was missing. 10 Pros on they went and wow... This IS music.

Well I said this 5 years ago with my Fontopias. Stock iPod earbuds? those were crap. i thought I got quality music with isolation. Then I jumped to my 5Pros and I was mesmerized. I was drooling. Now I'm drooling again. Even my 5 Pros don't impress me. My girlfriend did a test with me too. She said "What, you're giving me these 5 Pros as hand medowns???" Like she was unimpressed after hearing the 10 pros.... sigh.

I do like how the bass is stronger and yet more clear (not boomy) than my 5 Pros. The highs are way better and I feel definitely improved instrument separation. I felt like with my 5Pros, I was ABLE to pick up frequencies better on the extreme ends. The bass wasnt boomy compared to the dirt cheap earbuds... I felt like I heard things I never heard before... but now that I look at it, while I hear a lot, it's not very well defined. Still a little blurry. The TF10s really clear it all up. Each instrument becomes VERY distinct. I've never paid such close attention to cymbals or the bass drum in the background in ANY piece till now... these are just AMAZING.....

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #2,503 of 9,690
I was never able to get a good fit on mine, so they're off to Florida for a custom fit. Probably doesn't help that I typically like using the small tips that came with my S4s.

I like a deeper insertion, typically, and the S4s are just so darn comfortable.

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #2,504 of 9,690
Don't tell my IE8s, but I think I might like the TF10 better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #2,505 of 9,690
Finally got the balls to try my pair. The size isn't really an issue, other than the seal on my left ear isn't as deep as the right. (Slightly less bass and clarity) My hair actually covers the ear pieces, so can't really even notice them. I put on the complies, and I could definitely wear these for at least an hour, their just a bit itchy. Sound quality is very nice (for $100 at least), though their so revealing that whenever I switch tracks with my iaudio, there's an annoying "whoop whoop".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back