Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Apr 15, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #2,026 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The closest thing to TF10P sound is CK100. The mid is more forward (a bit too much actually) and the bass is tighter compared to TF10P (CK100 almost no midbass). The mid is very transparent, just like with other spectrum on CK100. TF10P mid is blurry in comparison, one of my main niggle with TF10P SQ.

Soundstage is smaller but positioning way more accurate than TF10P, almost pinpoint accuracy on CK100. CK100 soundstage more like circular, with equal depth in term of height and width. TF10P soundstage is like oval shape, more to left and right.

Details, layering and separation a lot better compared to TF10P. Speed and timbre quite similar iirc. CK100 also easier to drive. Finally my IEM search is over
biggrin.gif

But CK100 is double the price of TF10Pro. I'd probably go custom if I decided to spend that much.

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #2,027 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But CK100 is double the price of TF10Pro. I'd probably go custom if I decided to spend that much.

Actually i paid almost similar price for both. Maybe USD30 more for CK100. CK100 cost around USD400 shipped from Japan. Try bluetin.com Japan store
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #2,028 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long shot...when you mentioned about using the cleaning tool, how? I use mine to just go round the inside top of the bore, never going down to the green (driver filters?). While the mids may be a bit veiled sometimes, the treble shouldn't be (& not out of a D2, which I remember as being pretty forward at the highs) - although I am coming to think that TF10 is not the treble-clarity monster I once thought it was (hush my mouth!). Still v nice top end tho...

I never go past the nozzle, i am very careful and make sure that I am not going too far. no i have never gone that far.. Yeah i guess it is more the mids, but for some reason the high's seem a bit recessed also. hm. yeah the D2 is a fiarly bright player.

Quote:

Burn in will do nothing. That's the sound sig. I had them twice before but I appreciate them more this time. Listen very closely....it is only the midrange that is slightly blurried/veiled and as Steviebee said it is only with about 1/2 of recordings. Kind of odd. But I got use to it.

TFPro's are a very unique animal. It sounds so professional. So balanced and linear moreso than any other IEM I have owned. Yes, there's the midrange veil but it is the most non-fatiguiing IEM I have ever heard. UE may have intended for this? It's the single only flaw with the IEM. I find it perfect in every other criteria. But I can see how some may not like it and prefer something sharper sounding. But most all sharper sounding IEM's introduce a whole different set of "flaws" IMHO.

Yeah you are right spyro, burn in probably wont help. Maybe i just have to do more sitting down and listening to them to appreciate their sound more. i think it has to grow on me, they didn't 100% impress me the first time i listened to them. Yeah i would agree that they are pretty non-fatiguiing because of the laid back mids, which is kind of nice..

I was thinking of amping, but i doubt that i would be able to notice a difference unless if i used an expensive portable amp, probably not worth it though....

-Elluzion

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #2,029 of 9,690
I'm not much of an amp guy but I have heard several say that an amp DOES sharpen up the detail of TFPro's. That an amp helps TFPros more than a lot of other IEM's. Could be worth a shot. Someone else may confirm this?

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #2,030 of 9,690
When I had triple fi 10s w/ null-audio cable, I thought the mini^3 high performance version through w/ line out was better than straight from my iriver e10. It added more details and the mid was much better to listen to.

But the different wasn't like day & night - and I also felt that the mini^3 was slightly more fatiguing.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #2,032 of 9,690
Quote:

I'm not much of an amp guy but I have heard several say that an amp DOES sharpen up the detail of TFPro's. That an amp helps TFPros more than a lot of other IEM's. Could be worth a shot. Someone else may confirm this?

Well, IME, an amp does tidy everything up, gives an increased sense of solidity and shape to each instrument, increases SS & depth, and just seems to make music that bit more effortless in its presentation. I do find an amp works very well with ER-4S & P, for example.

But I admit to having a portable amp, um, fetish (in the process of adding a Mustang to my stable
biggrin.gif
). I seem to love collecting the little guys so I tend to use one automatically. My very first amp, an Airhead, impressed me so much with E2c and X3 that I never really compared amp v ampless after that. It's my impression when I have gone ampless that I'm always missing something, but some would argue that may just be placebo. I wouldn't agree, but I'm not much use at describing why in technical, audiophile terms...

Edit\ I use L/O on my iRiver H's and Nano. The X20 is H/O only so only use an amp occasionally (read: only use the player occasionally)

Edit\ Nice comparison, toughnut! Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #2,034 of 9,690
Yeah well if I wouldn't have lost my iBasso D2 Viper in the mail shipping it to Italy (i reimbursed the buyer, i'm not really sure why, im just a good guy idk) but yeah its been almost 8 months and still no amp at the persons door or sent back to me.. I'm not really sure what happened to it??? Lesson: always use insurance and tracking.. I can't believe I didn't....

anyways, i would love an iQube, but they are so expensive! and i am not sure if the difference would be worth it...

anyone wanna let me borrow and try their iQube and interconnect? XD lol

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #2,035 of 9,690
Could send you an amp in May to try if you like...?

Of my amps, which tho? Small would be good (cheaper to send)...I guess I could live w/out the SuperMicro for a month...I don't think it's worth sending a FiiO E3, lol. BUT I may have to ransom your house cos to get another SM anytime soon isn't likely
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #2,037 of 9,690
Don't know FNM's music, but I hafta admit I regularly boost treble by a couple dB in Rockbox...gettin' old, see?
biggrin.gif

I do think my 'new' TF10 is warmer sounding than my old TF10. TBH, I preferred the first pair I owned, before that damned Shure E2c foam took the nozzle with it.

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #2,038 of 9,690
Quote:

I do think my 'new' TF10 is warmer sounding than my old TF10. TBH, I preferred the first pair I owned, before that damned Shure E2c foam took the nozzle with it.

Due to different cable? Newer straight jack cable VS old angled jack cable?

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #2,039 of 9,690
Quote:

Could send you an amp in May to try if you like...?

Of my amps, which tho? Small would be good (cheaper to send)...I guess I could live w/out the SuperMicro for a month...I don't think it's worth sending a FiiO E3, lol. BUT I may have to ransom your house cos to get another SM anytime soon isn't likely
biggrin.gif

I would love to try that amp! The only problem is that you are located in England and I'm in the U.S. Yeah it is probably not worth sending a FiiO amp. Haha yeah SuperMicro's are hard to come by... I am trustworthy though, i wouldn't run off with your amp haha
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #2,040 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Due to different cable? Newer straight jack cable VS old angled jack cable?

It's odd, but I reinserted the cables a few times last night (UE stock, angled jack, clear) and they sound a whole lot better...either my ears are playing up or it's the longest case of burn-in ever!
Ah, but I did also change the tips to some old Shure silicon (had been persevering with UE silicon). I wonder....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to try that amp! The only problem is that you are located in England and I'm in the U.S. Yeah it is probably not worth sending a FiiO amp. Haha yeah SuperMicro's are hard to come by... I am trustworthy though, i wouldn't run off with your amp haha
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll check with you once I'm back (taking the Trips to Barcelona for a few days) - shouldn't be too hard parting with the SM for awhile (sniff)....lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back