Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Oct 1, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #1,637 of 9,690
I just received my TF10s and have had them in for a few minutes. Obviously, this is just a first impression. I'm coming from a pair of ER-4S. Source is an iPod classic running through a silver Qables LOD and an RSA Tomahawk.

The first thing you notice is the extra bass. The second thing you notice is that the treble doesn't sparkle as with the Etys.

Currently, I'm using the small silicon tips which I know from previous ownership of SF5s are the right size. I will play with the other sizes when I get home tonight. I have a few pairs of T400s at home, too and I will give those a shot.

Oct 1, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #1,638 of 9,690
Third thing I notice is the soundstage. With the Etys, the stage felt like it extended from the tip of one IEM to the other: totally inside the head. With these, the soundstage is extended a few inches outside the head.

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #1,640 of 9,690
With more use, now with Comply T400 sleeves (what exactly is the difference between the T400 and T500?), the TF10 add a layer to the music. It sounds much bigger, with better instrument separation.

You really get a feel for that third driver.

While not as precise or clean as the Etys, the TF10s are keepers.

Oct 2, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #1,641 of 9,690
So I just ordered the Westone cable for its improved ergonomics. I know I have to trim the pins before installing it but which way to I install the cable. The stock cable is marked so that it is inserted the right way. How do I know which way to install the Westone cable. I seem to recall a thread on this some time ago but now I can't find it.

Oct 2, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #1,642 of 9,690
The Westone cable is marked with a red and blue dot. Just make sure they're facing opposite, like this:

The cable worked well with Super.fi 5 Pro, but it didn't improve sound at all on the Triple.fi. The microphonics is close to zero though.

Oct 2, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #1,644 of 9,690
Question, what is the use of the airplane attenuator? When can I use it besides on an airplane?

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #1,645 of 9,690
airplane attenuator is a type of impedance adapter. if its a 3.5mm single jack, u can use it on your player to remove hiss, change freq response, etc. might have positive or negative outcome.

but one thing for sure, u need to increase normal listening volume and battery drains faster

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #1,646 of 9,690
I find myself using the attenuator with my PC and Ipod (if I use headphone output). Makes things sound better, ampless, the triple-fis sound as if the different noises are washing each other out.

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #1,647 of 9,690
finally jumping into multi driver phone bandwagon after long wait in the sidelines
icon10.gif

i should be getting triplefi 10vi tomorrow, but i just cant wait to experience the new toy.
im coming from shure e4c, is there anyone else who had one of those? if so, how does triple fi differ from e4c? i know e4c has very good clear mid, but little of bass. does triple fi have better mid / detail than e4c? im pretty sure triple fi has better bass all range(?)

damn wish i have it now, so i can take it to work tomorrow!!

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #1,648 of 9,690
Well, I finally found something at which the TF don't excel: piano. Keith Jarrett came on shuffle last night as I was falling asleep.

The speed of these is a little off for piano. It sounds a little confused. The sound is still great but the feeling is off. Oh well, I still have my Etys for when I am in the mood for piano.

Oct 4, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #1,649 of 9,690
Thanks to new triple fi I just realized that my onboard sound card in PC was so bad until now...
music from my iphone 3g is much much clearer than my crappy integrated sound board.

about triple fi, I can't compare its SQ with e4c... it's just totally different and hard to compare especially since I'm a newb to this field.
Good or bad? I donno I am overwhelmed by whole new sounds.
but for now, it seems most songs sound much better with bass boost wider sound stage more detail compare to e4c,
but few some songs don't feel good anymore because triple fi separates too much and presents too much detail, so it makes some songs not fun to my ears anymore. (maybe I need to get higher quality format, or my ears are just overwhelmed now)

Maybe I am weird but to me, upgrade from e4c to triple fi is much overwhelming than from stock bud to Sony ex51 or from sony ex51 to e4c.
And I wonder if there is this kind of leap when you upgrade from triple fi to ue11

Thats my first impression
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #1,650 of 9,690
Hi guys! I'm very new to the whole audiophile world and am quite interested in getting my very first pair of IEMs. However, I can't decide whether I should splurge on the TF10's or something less costly like the SA6. I might also consider a pair of headphones within my budget of $350 but my only worry is I won't have an amp.

I listen to a lot of Bloc Party, rock, alternative, acoustic and the sort and from what I've read the TF10's are pretty safe a bet. I plan to run this unamped through my iPhone 2G or my Macbook for the time being. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back