TRN impressions thread
Aug 19, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #2,296 of 3,805
TRN STM budget hybrid just showed up today, and I am impressed. I forsee this will be a budget favorite IEM. Not a fan of faceplate but they did good on the tuning and driver quality. The bass is nimble, treble is exciting but not sibilant, vocals not too recessed, clarity, and staging is good too. I don't typically put first impressions out without letting the honeymoon wear off, but I think this will stick around. My last favorite model from TRN was the V90 which is also still an excellent model in the budget realm.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #2,297 of 3,805
Screenshot_20200821_184206.jpg

Looks like 'amazing' quality for the price 😃🙈

Aug 21, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #2,298 of 3,805
Does TRN churn out more models than Loomis' wife traffic tickets? Are tuning filters the aficionado's crystal meth? Does anybody need 18 drivers in a shell?

Loomis has his own ideas about these things wich you can read here...oh, you will find it...TRN-STM...

safe_image.php.jpeg

ZYLeEkA.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #2,301 of 3,805
I posted this in another thread since there were some talk about the Vx there but since it's actually more relevant here I drop it here as well.

After having the TRN Vx for a couple of days I honestly feel that it's getting bashed a bit unfairly. Sure the upper frequencies are on the splashy and sibilant side but the bass is fantastic on them imo. Right from the first listening session they got me thinking about the NX7 and today I spent some time comparing the two (and the NX7 Pro as well).

The sort impressions from the comparisons with the original NX7 is that overall tonality is indeed very similar. For me the Vx does actually has a touch less tiresome higher frequencies, midrange quality is very similar but more forward on the Vx. When it comes to bass the quality is great on both imo but it hits harder on the Vx. Personally (and so far, I still have only got a few days with the Vx) I'd take the Vx over the NX7. Although none of these two will ever become my favorite IEM's the NX7 was hyped pretty hard when it was first released while the Vx has received the opposite treatment. That's the reason I'd like to share my thoughts, I think often the first impressions of an new item will set preference for many later impressions.

When it comes to the NX7 Pro I think I'd take it over the Vx because of a bit welcome added warmth in the upper frequencies. Everything else is at least as good on the Vx imo.

Now I'm looking forward to the NX7 mk III release :wink:

For the record I purchased the Vx myself and it took exactly three months for it to arrive :frowning2: Enough time for a product that's not top notch in enough aspects to become obsolete these days, that says quite a bit about the speed of progress today.

Aug 23, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #2,302 of 3,805
I posted this in another thread since there were some talk about the Vx there but since it's actually more relevant here I drop it here as well.

After having the TRN Vx for a couple of days I honestly feel that it's getting bashed a bit unfairly. Sure the upper frequencies are on the splashy and sibilant side but the bass is fantastic on them imo. Right from the first listening session they got me thinking about the NX7 and today I spent some time comparing the two (and the NX7 Pro as well).

The sort impressions from the comparisons with the original NX7 is that overall tonality is indeed very similar. For me the Vx does actually has a touch less tiresome higher frequencies, midrange quality is very similar but more forward on the Vx. When it comes to bass the quality is great on both imo but it hits harder on the Vx. Personally (and so far, I still have only got a few days with the Vx) I'd take the Vx over the NX7. Although none of these two will ever become my favorite IEM's the NX7 was hyped pretty hard when it was first released while the Vx has received the opposite treatment. That's the reason I'd like to share my thoughts, I think often the first impressions of an new item will set preference for many later impressions.

When it comes to the NX7 Pro I think I'd take it over the Vx because of a bit welcome added warmth in the upper frequencies. Everything else is at least as good on the Vx imo.

Now I'm looking forward to the NX7 mk III release :wink:

For the record I purchased the Vx myself and it took exactly three months for it to arrive :frowning2: Enough time for a product that's not top notch in enough aspects to become obsolete these days, that says quite a bit about the speed of progress today.
I agree with you about the negative comments on the VX. I have fitted Starline tips and am using a TRN 16 core SPC cable and they sound very good, the detail retrieval being the star of the show and bass is fast, almost BA-like. I'm giving them another extended listen now.

Aug 26, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #2,303 of 3,805
More on the VX, it just gets better! This sounds amazing:

Aug 27, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #2,304 of 3,805
TRN STM budget hybrid just showed up today, and I am impressed. I forsee this will be a budget favorite IEM. Not a fan of faceplate but they did good on the tuning and driver quality. The bass is nimble, treble is exciting but not sibilant, vocals not too recessed, clarity, and staging is good too. I don't typically put first impressions out without letting the honeymoon wear off, but I think this will stick around. My last favorite model from TRN was the V90 which is also still an excellent model in the budget realm.
My STM also showed up today and I totally agree with you. I am pleasantly surprised after my experience with Vx (I am treble sensitive) I was so worried it will be the same but I thought this is so much cheaper I'll give it a go. And it's very well executed without sibilent. I'm currently running them in and I hope they won't change much cos I like them now OFTB.

Aug 28, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #2,305 of 3,805
I ordered the BA8. They should arrive in early October. I'll let you guys know how they are.

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #2,307 of 3,805
Has anyone gotten or heard the BA8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back