TRN impressions thread
Jan 18, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #1,966 of 3,805
Personally, I’m glad companies are branching out and choosing drivers other than the 30095.

It just seems that for the last 3+ years, 75% of every budget hybrid on the market uses the 30095. It all started with the KZ ZST all those moons ago, and all the sudden everyone copies off one another and uses nothing but 30095.

Sure, one uses a titanium DD + 1x30095. Another uses a graphene DD + 2x30095. Still another uses 4x30095 and 2x some other midrange BA. Yet another uses a beryllium DD + 1x30095 + 1 some other midrange BA. Blah blah blah

But there’s only so many permutations of the 30095 treble before everything starts sounding the same and the hobby starts stagnating with nothing but side grades.

Variety is the spice of life. If I literally ate chicken for breakfast lunch and dinner for 3+ years, I would get sick of it. It doesn’t matter if 1 day I grill it, another I boil it, yet another I breaded and fry it, another I smoked and shredded it, etc. After nothing but chicken chicken chicken I would welcome a thick juicy steak or some lamb curry or anything but chicken.
I actually prefer the 30019 BAs in the V90 to the 30095s in the other multi hybrids like ZS10 Pro and ZSX etc. However, I do like the tuning of the three 30095 BAs in the BA5. Before I heard it I thought "uh-oh! THREE 30095s". But I was pleasantly surprised!

Jan 18, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #1,967 of 3,805
Hard to say, but probably yes, st1 are bright like v80 but more airy with cleaner heights. Mids are not that suppressed like on v80, maybe closer in something to v90, but more simple and thin. In 90% tracks will sounds v90 better, richer and more mature. But for me personally, st1 sometimes is easier to listen to, especially with foam tips and of course it depends a lot on the genre you listen to.
Most trn st1 owner found this iem is more balanced character than the other , you demand comfort listening this is the guy for you work for your sense of safe and comfort . Trn st1 tuning is more like trn V90 in its lighter tuning ( call it trn V90 lite version) , for better experience and high peaks at treble V90 does the job for you , yet some treble hater found it and hate it, trn st1 does a job in this area .i found the trn st1 to be more all rounder and does a lot of good job in any departements . Yet trn BA5 does very excellent in details, vocals, and sound stage

Jan 18, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #1,968 of 3,805
After listening to ST1 I didn't understand why TRN did not use the same 30095 BA for V90 heights. It is sad to find that several times cheaper earphones from the same brand play something often cleaner and better. On slower and quieter tracks, the V90 plays great, the sound is stronger and more voluminous than ST1, but I have a problem with fast songs and ST1 handles them better. If TRN made some improvement on the V90, it's good, but unfortunately late for me, I'll wait for the V100 :)

edit: Let me add one interesting example. In the opening song The Reckoning from Resist by Within Temtation, the V90 sounds fantastic and emotional in the quieter melodic parts, but then the faster rythmic chorus comes in and everything, the instruments and the vocals merge into one thick mash. ST1 seems to have more air, can be listened louder and even in the chorus, the separation of instruments and especially percussion is clearer, not ideal, but certainly better than the V90. Just as I like the V90 and my requirements for good sound will be different from the others, the ST1 is more universal for me.
Well one thing that TRN ST1 is less is shimmery effect at highs and sub bass which kinda thinner than V90 . Second the build quality of V90 obviously better.
TRN ST1 does handle a lot of good jobs here, comfortable sounds which doesn't cause bleed .

Jan 19, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #1,969 of 3,805
Well one thing that TRN ST1 is less is shimmery effect at highs and sub bass which kinda thinner than V90 . Second the build quality of V90 obviously better.
TRN ST1 does handle a lot of good jobs here, comfortable sounds which doesn't cause bleed .
At 100% I agree with everything and I would add that the v90 is a bit different from the others, while to st1 there will probably be more alternatives from KZ and others, anyway thank you TRN for both, I look forward to what will come in 2020!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #1,970 of 3,805
I am looking at getting a Chifi IEM for my listening, mainly EDM and a plethora of other genres every now and then.

I am looking at the TRN V90 & the BQEYZ BQ3. According to thephonograph (I don't know how much folks trust them?), they are super close in performance and bass/ sub bass impact. Anyone care to comment?

I like that the V90s are smaller (I have average-small ears) but that the BQ3 has lower sensitivity (for when I don't have an amp with me, avoiding laptop port hiss).

Jan 19, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #1,971 of 3,805
I am looking at getting a Chifi IEM for my listening, mainly EDM and a plethora of other genres every now and then.

I am looking at the TRN V90 & the BQEYZ BQ3. According to thephonograph (I don't know how much folks trust them?), they are super close in performance and bass/ sub bass impact. Anyone care to comment?

I like that the V90s are smaller (I have average-small ears) but that the BQ3 has lower sensitivity (for when I don't have an amp with me, avoiding laptop port hiss).

I have both of those.
You can’t go wrong with either one. They’re both great.
But, also I EQ my IEMs so. . . .
If I had to choose just one, it would be very difficult.
I would probably give the edge to the BQEYZ BQ3. But just barely.
If you do NOT EQ music, then I would say get the V90s.
But like I said before, they’re both great.
PS: I also listen to a lot of EDM.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #1,972 of 3,805
I have both of those.
You can’t go wrong with either one. They’re both great.
But, also I EQ my IEMs so. . . .
If I had to choose just one, it would be very difficult.
I would probably give the edge to the BQEYZ BQ3. But just barely.
If you do NOT EQ music, then I would say get the V90s.
But like I said before, they’re both great.
PS: I also listen to a lot of EDM.

Sweet, good to know. I do not EQ my music ever, trying to keep everything as simple as possible. Then I will go for the V90.
I saw other BQEYZ's were also reviewed more positively only after EQ.
I got this little USB DAC which is apparently almost as good as the Sonata DAC (it uses the same Realtek ALC4042 chip). Hope they play along nicely. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...7.0&pvid=2e0c71ea-0965-4954-a454-c55ad59b7ecc

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #1,974 of 3,805
Of course you can, the 0.03 mm difference in pin thickness does not matter at all. I also use 0.78 with st1 and v90.

Jan 23, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #1,975 of 3,805
Personally, I’m glad companies are branching out and choosing drivers other than the 30095.

It just seems that for the last 3+ years, 75% of every budget hybrid on the market uses the 30095. It all started with the KZ ZST all those moons ago, and all the sudden everyone copies off one another and uses nothing but 30095.

Sure, one uses a titanium DD + 1x30095. Another uses a graphene DD + 2x30095. Still another uses 4x30095 and 2x some other midrange BA. Yet another uses a beryllium DD + 1x30095 + 1 some other midrange BA. Blah blah blah

But there’s only so many permutations of the 30095 treble before everything starts sounding the same and the hobby starts stagnating with nothing but side grades.

Variety is the spice of life. If I literally ate chicken for breakfast lunch and dinner for 3+ years, I would get sick of it. It doesn’t matter if 1 day I grill it, another I boil it, yet another I breaded and fry it, another I smoked and shredded it, etc. After nothing but chicken chicken chicken I would welcome a thick juicy steak or some lamb curry or anything but chicken.
Most probably its because all low-end products need to keep their production cost as low as possible. 30095 being a cheapest Bellsing hi-freq BA is a answer to that. If you check current Bellsing product line of BAs dedicated for iem building there are no traces of all those classic low-end BAs used in TRN, KZ. As far as i know i don't see anyone using those 9XXXX serie in their products?
http://www.bellsing.com/en/list-325-1.html

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #1,978 of 3,805
anyone tried the X6( 6 balanced amarture)? how does to compare to the v90? i am more inclined to the v90 due to the dynamic driver for bass. prefer dynamic cos they sound more organic(to me)

I have the X6 and the tuning is very mid forward which is not for everyone but the V90 is more of the opposite as it is V shaped.

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #1,979 of 3,805
Sweet, good to know. I do not EQ my music ever, trying to keep everything as simple as possible. Then I will go for the V90.
I saw other BQEYZ's were also reviewed more positively only after EQ.
I got this little USB DAC which is apparently almost as good as the Sonata DAC (it uses the same Realtek ALC4042 chip). Hope they play along nicely. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...7.0&pvid=2e0c71ea-0965-4954-a454-c55ad59b7ecc

"Using EQ is an sign you bought the wrong IEM"

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #1,980 of 3,805
"Using EQ is an sign you bought the wrong IEM"

Not necessarily. I feel EQ has its place and purpose.

I occasionally use it to correct flaws in recordings (for example, to reduce sibilance that’s in the recording), or to make some musical genres more enjoyable if I’m away from home and only have 1 headphone with me.

So many people act like even considering the use EQ is evil, like I may as well put some kittens in a potato sack and tie a rock to it and drown them in a river. EQ is not the evil sacrilege it’s made out to be. It’s one of many tools available in this hobby, just like tip rolling, upgrade cables, op amp rolling, or one of the many other tools we have at our disposal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back