TRN impressions thread
Jan 17, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #1,951 of 3,805
After listening to ST1 I didn't understand why TRN did not use the same 30095 BA for V90 heights. It is sad to find that several times cheaper earphones from the same brand play something often cleaner and better. On slower and quieter tracks, the V90 plays great, the sound is stronger and more voluminous than ST1, but I have a problem with fast songs and ST1 handles them better. If TRN made some improvement on the V90, it's good, but unfortunately late for me, I'll wait for the V100 :)

edit: Let me add one interesting example. In the opening song The Reckoning from Resist by Within Temtation, the V90 sounds fantastic and emotional in the quieter melodic parts, but then the faster rythmic chorus comes in and everything, the instruments and the vocals merge into one thick mash. ST1 seems to have more air, can be listened louder and even in the chorus, the separation of instruments and especially percussion is clearer, not ideal, but certainly better than the V90. Just as I like the V90 and my requirements for good sound will be different from the others, the ST1 is more universal for me.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #1,952 of 3,805
After listening to ST1 I didn't understand why TRN did not use the same 30095 BA for V90 heights. It is sad to find that several times cheaper earphones from the same brand play something often cleaner and better. On slower and quieter tracks, the V90 plays great, the sound is stronger and more voluminous than ST1, but I have a problem with fast songs and ST1 handles them better. If TRN made some improvement on the V90, it's good, but unfortunately late for me, I'll wait for the V100 :)

edit: Let me add one interesting example. In the opening song The Reckoning from Resist by Within Temtation, the V90 sounds fantastic and emotional in the quieter melodic parts, but then the faster rythmic chorus comes in and everything, the instruments and the vocals merge into one thick mash. ST1 seems to have more air, can be listened louder and even in the chorus, the separation of instruments and especially percussion is clearer, not ideal, but certainly better than the V90. Just as I like the V90 and my requirements for good sound will be different from the others, the ST1 is more universal for me.
So, The V90 sucks? lol

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #1,954 of 3,805
Jan 17, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #1,956 of 3,805

Personally, I’m glad companies are branching out and choosing drivers other than the 30095.

It just seems that for the last 3+ years, 75% of every budget hybrid on the market uses the 30095. It all started with the KZ ZST all those moons ago, and all the sudden everyone copies off one another and uses nothing but 30095.

Sure, one uses a titanium DD + 1x30095. Another uses a graphene DD + 2x30095. Still another uses 4x30095 and 2x some other midrange BA. Yet another uses a beryllium DD + 1x30095 + 1 some other midrange BA. Blah blah blah

But there’s only so many permutations of the 30095 treble before everything starts sounding the same and the hobby starts stagnating with nothing but side grades.

Variety is the spice of life. If I literally ate chicken for breakfast lunch and dinner for 3+ years, I would get sick of it. It doesn’t matter if 1 day I grill it, another I boil it, yet another I breaded and fry it, another I smoked and shredded it, etc. After nothing but chicken chicken chicken I would welcome a thick juicy steak or some lamb curry or anything but chicken.

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #1,957 of 3,805
So, The V90 sucks? lol
I haven't written anything like that and a lot of people will not like the sound of st1 :)
I wonder what someone else will hear on the V90 in that song (The Reckoning), or how he likes Collins' vocal in Genesis's Invisible Touch.

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #1,958 of 3,805
I haven't written anything like that and a lot of people will not like the sound of st1 :)
I wonder what someone else will hear on the V90 in that song (The Reckoning), or how he likes Collins' vocal in Genesis's Invisible Touch.
I just listened to both, but I don't have any other earphones with me to compare. I think the V90 has kind of a fuller, thicker sound so The Reckoning kind of reflects that when the faster part starts. Not sure what I'm listening for with Phil Collins' vocals. Sound fine to me.

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #1,959 of 3,805
Hey you guys.

If i have and like the sound of the V90's, are the V80's worth getting?
Or, are they simply a less refined V90?
Also, what other TRN's are good for U or V shaped Signature?

PS : whats the different between a U and V shaped signature?

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,960 of 3,805
I thing no one recomed you V80 today. I liked them recently, but compared to the V90, BA5 or ST1 it would be a step back. They are not simply, but yes much less rafined to me.

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #1,961 of 3,805
I thing no one recomed you V80 today. I liked them recently, but compared to the V90, BA5 or ST1 it would be a step back. They are not simply, but yes much less rafined to me.

ah ok. Thats what i was thinking.
Thank you :)

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #1,962 of 3,805
Hey you guys.

If i have and like the sound of the V90's, are the V80's worth getting?
Or, are they simply a less refined V90?
Also, what other TRN's are good for U or V shaped Signature?

PS : whats the different between a U and V shaped signature?

As your instinct say, V80 just a step down from great V90 now, no point getting more v shaped and more mid bass bleed V80 over V90. V90 sounded more refine, more mature with better technicalities.

V = deeply boosted low end and high end extension, with linearity to mids, so mids will be recessed or laid back, not star of the show.
U = just boosted sub bass and high trebles, so keep the upper bass, lower mids, mids, high mids, lower treble a bit balanced. mids will be heard more balanced than V shape

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #1,963 of 3,805
As your instinct say, V80 just a step down from great V90 now, no point getting more v shaped and more mid bass bleed V80 over V90. V90 sounded more refine, more mature with better technicalities.

V = deeply boosted low end and high end extension, with linearity to mids, so mids will be recessed or laid back, not star of the show.
U = just boosted sub bass and high trebles, so keep the upper bass, lower mids, mids, high mids, lower treble a bit balanced. mids will be heard more balanced than V shape

Wow thanks for the nice description. Ok so U and V are not the same thing at all.
I was starting to think that U and V were just 2 different names for the same thing.
So yeah, i guess ill just pass on the V80. No need, Thanks again :)

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #1,965 of 3,805
Hard to say, but probably yes, st1 are bright like v80 but more airy with cleaner heights. Mids are not that suppressed like on v80, maybe closer in something to v90, but more simple and thin. In 90% tracks will sounds v90 better, richer and more mature. But for me personally, st1 sometimes is easier to listen to, especially with foam tips and of course it depends a lot on the genre you listen to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back