TRN impressions thread
Jan 25, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #1,981 of 3,805
Not necessarily. I feel EQ has its place and purpose.

I occasionally use it to correct flaws in recordings (for example, to reduce sibilance that’s in the recording), or to make some musical genres more enjoyable if I’m away from home and only have 1 headphone with me.

So many people act like even considering using EQ is evil, like I may as well put some kittens in a potato sack and tie a rock to it and toss it in a river. EQ is not the evil sacrilege it’s made out to be. It’s one of many tools available in this hobby, just like tip rolling, upgrade cables, op amp rolling, or one of the many other tools we have at our disposal.

Of course you're right; one thing I like about Poweramp is the ability to bump up the bass knob about 20-30%, depending on the IEM.

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #1,982 of 3,805
"Using EQ is an sign you bought the wrong IEM"

ONE million percent incorrect.
Nobody listen to this bullonni statement. It’s totally wrong.
Even if you purchase the ultimate, perfect IEM that’s perfectly tuned for you, but you happen to be using a cellphone
To power it and / or are listening to music files that are less then perfect, you will still want to EQ your IEMs.
In most cases you will not be able to get a perfect sound from any IEM if they’re being powered by a mobile device.
That’s when you might want to use an EQ. EQs are NOT evil. They are your friend.
Remember kids. EQ good, Fire bad. :)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #1,984 of 3,805
"Using EQ is an sign you bought the wrong IEM"

you would end up spending more money than necessary like that :ksc75smile:

this statement is right if we're talking about using EQ excessively in sake to "safe" a bad earphones or ones that's just too far from our preference.

a good earphones/headphones should be able to be usable/enjoyable with all usage, with or without EQ, of course :ksc75smile:

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #1,985 of 3,805
you would end up spending more money than necessary like that :ksc75smile:

this statement is right if we're talking about using EQ excessively in sake to "safe" a bad earphones or ones that's just too far from our preference.

a good earphones/headphones should be able to be usable/enjoyable with all usage, with or without EQ, of course :ksc75smile:

yes choose quality, always naturalist..preferences always without equalisers :)

Jan 26, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #1,986 of 3,805
It’s hard to know how an IEM will sound because many places do not have IEMs just sitting out to be tried out
like some places have headphone to try. Most of the time I buy IEMs based on reviews. I wish I could try them on
first before buying them. So it’s hard for me to buy something that’s expansive that I can not try first.
Imagine buying a 90,000$ car but no dealers will allow you to test drive it ever. You just have to TRUST them.
Uh, no thank you.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #1,988 of 3,805
Which is the best out of these two, my priority is durability and sound quality.
Sennhieser cx 180(2 years warranty) or
Trn st1

As far as durability, that’s pretty impossible to predict.

I have seen some people trash gear in a few months or even weeks, but I own the exact same gear and years later it still looks almost new.

It depends if you use a storage case vs balling it up and cramming it into your pants pocket, if you drop it on the ground on accident vs never dropping it, if you workout with lots of sweat vs not working out, environmental factors such as high temperatures or humidity, general abuse/wear and tear, how much it gets used every day, and many many other factors.

I would say your previous experience is a good predictor. Are you the type of person who has everything you own (not just audio gear) ‘mysteriously‘ break or die in a fairly short amount of time, or are you the type of person who handles everything you own with kid gloves and it lasts for years?

5D3CA709-2024-4EC8-BBCD-A801D43508A2.gif

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #1,989 of 3,805
Which is the best out of these two, my priority is durability and sound quality.
Sennhieser cx 180(2 years warranty) or
Trn st1
My wife has a CX175 because they are tiny (cx180 will be similar). ST1 have a different formfactor, they are a bit larger and the cable is routed behind the ears. The cable at cx175 is already very thin and I had to repair it several times, even if it is not used very often. So in terms of durability, definitely st1, where everyone can simply replace the cable for a better one. As for the sound, the cx175 is certainly better tuned, but the mids are very subdued, I only feel the bass and trebles. Therefore, I definitely prefer st1, bass are not so highlighted, but the sound is bit richer, more detailed and fun. And if I don't like heights and want more right sound, then $ 5 Sony MH755 from ebay sounds definitely better, than this "cheap" Senn's.
But that's just my opinion :)
st1_vs_cx175.png

P.S. Overall, if you prefer durability, then V90 is the winner without a doubt! :)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #1,990 of 3,805
As far as durability, that’s pretty impossible to predict.

I have seen some people trash gear in a few months or even weeks, but I own the exact same gear and years later it still looks almost new.

It depends if you use a storage case vs balling it up and cramming it into your pants pocket, if you drop it on the ground on accident vs never dropping it, if you workout with lots of sweat vs not working out, environmental factors such as high temperatures or humidity, general abuse/wear and tear, how much it gets used every day, and many many other factors.

I would say your previous experience is a good predictor. Are you the type of person who has everything you own (not just audio gear) ‘mysteriously‘ break or die in a fairly short amount of time, or are you the type of person who handles everything you own with kid gloves and it lasts for years?

I dont take my earphones outdoor, I just use it in my house 12 hours a day, I sometimes crammup the earphones and throw it at its place. I remove the earphones with pressure after using it. My last pair of soundmagic e10c lasted me a year(no rough use, one side stopped working on its own), I had other cheap earphones which tore off wire from the pin side.

Jan 27, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #1,991 of 3,805
My wife has a CX175 because they are tiny (cx180 will be similar). ST1 have a different formfactor, they are a bit larger and the cable is routed behind the ears. The cable at cx175 is already very thin and I had to repair it several times, even if it is not used very often. So in terms of durability, definitely st1, where everyone can simply replace the cable for a better one. As for the sound, the cx175 is certainly better tuned, but the mids are very subdued, I only feel the bass and trebles. Therefore, I definitely prefer st1, bass are not so highlighted, but the sound is bit richer, more detailed and fun. And if I don't like heights and want more right sound, then $ 5 Sony MH755 from ebay sounds definitely better, than this "cheap" Senn's.
But that's just my opinion :)

P.S. Overall, if you prefer durability, then V90 is the winner without a doubt! :)

Hey, thanks for the reply, I dont want basshead earphones, I just wanna hear premium sound, must feel like I am sitting in a movie theater after I put them on. If I buy st1 with extra cable will it last me atleast a couple of years? Or just buy three pairs of sony mh755

Jan 27, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #1,992 of 3,805
Hey, thanks for the reply, I dont want basshead earphones, I just wanna hear premium sound, must feel like I am sitting in a movie theater after I put them on. If I buy st1 with extra cable will it last me atleast a couple of years? Or just buy three pairs of sony mh755

Be aware that the MH755 cable is very short. Are you going to solder a new cable on (called recabling), or even concert they to mmcx?

Personally, my advice would be to:

1. get a dynamic driver earphone, not an all-BA or a hybrid. Because they are very robust and you can easily kill a BA driver by dropping it or even knocking it hard against something like a table. BA drivers also are very sensitive sweat and moisture. Even if you don’t to exercise with the earphones, your ear canal can build up sweat just sitting watching TV on your living room couch.

2. get something with a removable cable, not a fixed cable. Because 95 out of 100 times, the cable is usually what goes bad.

3. get something with a 2-pin removable cable, not mmcx. 2-pin is much more robust vs mmcx.

There’s lots of choices that meet all 3 criteria. It doesn’t have to be s a hype-of-the-month model either. Even earphone a year or 2 old would still fit the bill perfectly.

Depending on your budget and what sound profile you are after, just a few choices right off the top of my head (in no particular order) include:

QKZ VK4
QKZ VK1
Magaosi BK50
KZ ZS3E
KZ ZS3
Blon BL-03
TFZ Series 2
Simgot EN700 Pro
Aluglamor (a few different models)

There are others too, but the above list is just a few.

Jan 27, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #1,993 of 3,805
To be honest, st1 may be too bright for movies. There's probably nothing to deal with, take the TRN V90 and you'll have your premium sound at a reasonable price + extra metal shell durability :)
V90 sounds much more mature than st1, for some genres I personally prefer st1, but if I ever have time for a movie, I certainly wouldn't want to listen to st1 :)

Jan 27, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #1,994 of 3,805
The V90 is my best-fitting IEM. Very nice for listening to modern Metal and anything electronic too, with the sub-bass stealing the show. Tiny, light, loud. Very nice for the price.

Jan 27, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #1,995 of 3,805
Of course you're right; one thing I like about Poweramp is the ability to bump up the bass knob about 20-30%, depending on the IEM.

EQ are for audiophile mania who likes it for fun . And if you don't bother use it i suggest by the iem character that fit you the most from warm , super bass, neutral , bright , extended , or balanced . It really depends on your sense of hearing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back