TRN impressions thread
Aug 27, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #887 of 3,805
Am I the only one to see a Space Heater everytime a TRN V20 photo appears?
68648124_10217215860643322_5160147908992958464_o.jpg

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #888 of 3,805
Bought mine on day #1 from NiceHCK and they haven’t shipped yet. Guess we have to pay for the lowest price somehow. My KZ ZSX which I bought on the same day from the same store shipped yesterday. I’m betting these sellers never touch the product are simply collect the orders use a drop ship system.

Yup! Same here for the v90. I ordered mine from nicehck too. Still sitting pretty waiting to ship. Maybe no stocks on hand or waiting for the aliexpress sale to start. Gonna be a long wait. Sigh....

Got tired of the indefinite wait, just cancelled my order with Nice...

Found (arguably) a better deal on SA Audio Store:
for $48 USD they're including the silver coated, upgrade cable. I confirmed with Sharon, before ordering
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33039332179.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d0EaYel

also, the cable that @Otto Motor used in his photos is $8.16 USD
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000110478221.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d0EaYel

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #889 of 3,805
I have been on the dark-side of the moon after my first listen of the TRN V90 -- and am writing up my review soon from my notes. Out of the box, it is ok as the cable is meh (it works but does not live up to the metal earpieces that feel as smooth as soapstone...great haptic)...and the eartips are too small for my ears. JVC Spiral Dots do wonders in this case: compared to similarly shaped wide-bore tips, they add a good breeze of air.

My verdict is that these TRN V90 are stellar -- they are capable earphones independent of price. Anybody who has them on order can look forward to a treat. The sound can be characterized as tepid...not quite neutral, maybe Harman Target, but certainly not sterile or dark. The upper midrange, although there is a prominent peak, does not come across as uberenergetic or even screamy.

Their bass builds on the V80...nicely textured, silky, with a decent, very pleasant kick, but never overbearing...no mid-bass hump. Vocals are very well sculptured, something the V80 and most if not all KZs lack. Truly fun listening to vocals as they don't get sharpened by overdone upper harmonics. Treble is smooth...I find the cymbals unusually crisp and clear...while nothing it strident or grainy. Technicalities are also good: stage is wide with a healthy depth...in fact, it goes somewhat towards "cavernous"...very good spatial cues. Good attack on the low and and transients don't smudge on the high end. Tonal accuracy is also nothing to complain about: works well with classical music (although the Blon BL-03 are a bit more authentic...but those don't have the V90's kick).

In summary, the company threw a bunch of cheap drivers in a pot, stirred well, and out came a very tasty soup that makes one ask for a second serving. The tuning work is excellent.

People are running my blog in waiting for the review...coming soon...but you essentially have the conclusions here already.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #890 of 3,805
Showing some love with the BT20 and Toneking NineTail today:

71F89EA8-D764-4CEE-A5F3-3B1A05F411E8.jpeg

A perfect match-up, and the fit is excellent!

I’m currently using the silver front filter and silver rear filter in case anyone cares :)

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #891 of 3,805
I have been on the dark-side of the moon after my first listen of the TRN V90 -- and am writing up my review soon from my notes. Out of the box, it is ok as the cable is meh (it works but does not live up to the metal earpieces that feel as smooth as soapstone...great haptic)...and the eartips are too small for my ears. JVC Spiral Dots do wonders in this case: compared to similarly shaped wide-bore tips, they add a good breeze of air.

My verdict is that these TRN V90 are stellar -- they are capable earphones independent of price. Anybody who has them on order can look forward to a treat. The sound can be characterized as tepid...not quite neutral, maybe Harman Target, but certainly not sterile or dark. The tuner dialed down the upper midrange (no "chifi" peak) and avoided a screamy, overenergetic to harsh midrange (as in the V80), which brings the bass out a bit stronger than neutral...but in a good way.

Their bass builds on the V80...nicely textured, silky, with a decent, very pleasant kick, but never overbearing...no mid-bass hump. Vocals are very well sculptured, something the V80 and most if not all KZs lack. Truly fun listening to vocals as they don't get sharpened by overdone upper harmonics. Treble is smooth...I find the cymbals unusually crisp and clear...while nothing it strident or grainy. Technicalities are also good: stage is wide with a healthy depth...in fact, it goes somewhat towards "cavernous"...very good spatial cues. Good attack on the low and and transients don't smudge on the high end. Tonal accuracy is also nothing to complain about: works well with classical music (although the Blon BL-03 are a bit more authentic...but those don't have the V90's kick).

In summary, the company threw a bunch of cheap drivers in a pot, stirred well, and out came a very tasty soup that makes one ask for a second serving. The tuning work is excellent.

People are running my blog in waiting for the review...coming soon...but you essentially have the conclusions here already.
Mine were ordered, from your first pic

Might want to change one of your adjectives though, for your blog. I'm sure that you meant the 1st definition and not the 2nd. But on my 1st read, I thought uh-oh, this review is going downhill.

tep·id
/ˈtepəd/
adjective
  1. 1.
    (especially of a liquid) only slightly warm; lukewarm.
    "she soaked a flannel in the tepid water"
    synonyms: lukewarm, warmish, slightly warm; More

2. 2.
    showing little enthusiasm.

Aug 27, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #892 of 3,805
Showing some love with the BT20 and Toneking NineTail today:

A perfect match-up, and the fit is excellent!

I’m currently using the silver front filter and silver rear filter in case anyone cares :)

Wow using a normal wired connection, I have to fit the Ninetails 10 degrees forward for my ears. I never ever thought the BT20 can provide a good fit with the NT.
Will try it out later.

Aug 27, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #893 of 3,805
Wow using a normal wired connection, I have to fit the Ninetails 10 degrees forward for my ears. I never ever thought the BT20 can provide a good fit with the NT.
Will try it out later.

It’s actually one of the very few mmcx IEMs (that I own) that fits perfectly without modifying the ear guides with heat (which I have not done and don’t plan to).

The other mmcx IEM that fits perfectly (for my ears anyways) is the ibasso IT01.

Of course, everyone’s ear anatomy is different, so YMMV.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #894 of 3,805
Mine were ordered, from your first pic

Might want to change one of your adjectives though, for your blog. I'm sure that you meant the 1st definition and not the 2nd. But on my 1st read, I thought uh-oh, this review is going downhill.

tep·id
/ˈtepəd/
adjective
  1. 1.
    (especially of a liquid) only slightly warm; lukewarm.
    "she soaked a flannel in the tepid water"
    synonyms: lukewarm, warmish, slightly warm; More

2. 2.
    showing little enthusiasm.
Yes, slightly warm/warmish...I stole the phrasing from a cunning linguist and earphone aficionado out of NZ...I am not a native speaker...but tepid should be ok.

UPDATE: My kiwi friend said it was joke and should not be used in a serious review. I changed it in my forthcoming blog post...which is not a serious review.

TRN V90 -- Losing Its Virginity To The Tiger? • Audio Reviews-1.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #896 of 3,805

That is what I settled on.

Am I the only one to see a Space Heater everytime a TRN V20 photo appears?

Yes you are. I have the grey TRN V20 and it looks very nice.... in my hand and in my ear. Sounds beautiful. I did not care for the later V models.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #897 of 3,805
Yes, slightly warm/warmish...I stole the phrasing from a cunning linguist and earphone aficionado out of NZ...I am not a native speaker...but tepid should be ok.

UPDATE: My kiwi friend said it was joke and should not be used in a serious review. I changed it in my forthcoming blog post...which is not a serious review.

Otto any measurements of the V90?

Aug 28, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #898 of 3,805
Otto any measurements of the V90?
Not yet. I felt it was not necessary so far as there is probably no spike to bicker about...will do soon...don't know why it is so hot, but my blog views have doubled.

These V90s will be super popular, probably for these reasons:

1. They look good
2. They feel good between one's fingers...smooth like soapstone
3. They are super built
4. Their sound is smoother and more refined than the comparable Chifi products I know
5. They are well priced

I prefer them over the much more expensive Ikko OH1 and Simgot EM2...which have that brightening to piercing upper midrange peak. The V90s do not...or to a much lesser extent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back