TRN impressions thread
Jun 10, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #271 of 3,805
Haha... Why not you perform an autopsy on yours, just like Slater did to his cables.
As long as I get them (sl-o-o-o-w delivery...) and will get totally disappointed with the sound.

Then it would take a lot of skills to prove it right, especially with the crossovers

The very least, I will consider doing it or sending it to Master @Slater, if he agrees :)

Jun 10, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #272 of 3,805
- It’s more common than you think for marketing material to say “High-Res Certified”, when all they did was download the logo and paste it in with Photoshop.

- Some manufacturers will say graphene (sprayed) drivers when they’re nothing of the sort. The spray is clear, so you can’t prove it one way or another. I’ve heard that sometimes the IEM/headphone manufacturers themselves don’t even know, and rely completely on the honesty of the driver manufacturers (who’s job it is to sell drivers and often make up lies).

- Cables that say 6N, 7N, 8N, cryo treated, single crystal, unicorn dust, etc can’t be proven and are often made up

- Electrical components are often fake (like fake Muses op amps or Rubycon caps for example). That’s actually a rampant problem, not just with ChiFi but with electronics in general.

There’s more stuff, but that’s just a few I know of the top of my head.
Wow! Now I dont wanna buy anything anymore. Seems like all companies are taking shortcuts at the expense of the buyers. If it goes on here, I wouldn't doubt it goes on in higher end and more costly stuff. Maybe they are also ripping us off on drivers in iems. Unless we can see it through transparent shells, what would stop a company from deleting drivers or certain BA's from a set of iems? Most people don't take their stuff apart, to see what's inside, or if the claims made are legit. We trust that what we buy is legit, and that what the companies advertise is what the thing is actually made of.

Jun 10, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #273 of 3,805
Wow! Now I dont wanna buy anything anymore. Seems like all companies are taking shortcuts at the expense of the buyers. If it goes on here, I wouldn't doubt it goes on in higher end and more costly stuff. Maybe they are also ripping us off on drivers in iems. Unless we can see it through transparent shells, what would stop a company from deleting drivers or certain BA's from a set of iems? Most people don't take their stuff apart, to see what's inside, or if the claims made are legit. We trust that what we buy is legit, and that what the companies advertise is what the thing is actually made of.

Sure, there’s a few bad apples everywhere. But you can’t let a few bad apples spoil the whole apple cart.

The majority of companies really do want to be honest, do the right thing, and strive to make the best product possible.

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #274 of 3,805
Actually, let's put it this way. From my prospective, TRN is trying hard to make themselves good. You know how much they spend on FedEx 2nd Day International every time just to ship IEMs to me for testing? If folks here insist they cut corners for profit, I have nothing to say. But judging from the amount they spent on overnight courier services, I doubt they will want to save a few cents on cables to bring down their reputation, hard work and money spent on R&D.

Something I have to highlight here is Mainland Chinese are extremely cautious of foreigners, especially Westerners (other than Russians, who are "good friends" of Chinese people according to President Xi). Therefore, when Slater made such a discovery, they are very defensive. I, being a Chinese (but not Mainland Chinese), had to explain to them the consequences of not acknowledging their mistakes. Mainlanders have this mentality that whatever happen outside of China is none of their concern (same as some Americans). So if a problem occurs outside their country, they assume it doesn't affect them. Of course, this type of thinking is absolutely wrong.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #276 of 3,805
Sure, there’s a few bad apples everywhere. But you can’t let a few bad apples spoil the whole apple cart.

The majority of companies really do want to be honest, do the right thing, and strive to make the best product possible.
I'm trying to be positive, but at the same time...if they are screwing customers on $5-10 cables, it makes me wonder how many iems and daps that some of these companies are making shortcuts on. I'm not sure I can trust anything anymore. I was gonna pull the plug on a TFZ No. 3 and a Fiio M11...but now I don't know. Like I said in an earlier post, if they screw people on a cable, I cant imagine what they might do for other gear that costs much more. I'd hate to think that the M11 I have my eye on, is made with sub standard parts, for example. This cable fiasco casts a bad eye on Chifi when they were really starting to look like a great alternative to the higher priced western stuff. If it turns out that this lower priced stuff is just junk, I guess I'm gonna get kicked out of the hobby again. I can't afford Empire Ears, 64 Audio, etc. I know there's alot of Chifi that has so far been really good, but TRN has disgraced their entire country and all the innovative honest companies from there.

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #277 of 3,805
I was gonna pull the plug on a TFZ No. 3 and a Fiio M11...but now I don't know.

I have had very bad experience with FiiO products in the past but I still give them a second chance. Both my X7 and X5II had premature death simply because I left them switched on! And the local FiiO agent in Singapore refused to repair them under warranty, insisted I damaged them by misuse.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #278 of 3,805
Actually, let's put it this way. From my prospective, TRN is trying hard to make themselves good. You know how much they spend on FedEx 2nd Day International every time just to ship IEMs to me for testing? If folks here insist they cut corners for profit, I have nothing to say. But judging from the amount they spent on overnight courier services, I doubt they will want to save a few cents on cables to bring down their reputation, hard work and money spent on R&D.

Something I have to highlight here is Mainland Chinese are extremely cautious of foreigners, especially Westerners (other than Russians, who are "good friends" of Chinese people according to President Xi). Therefore, when Slater made such a discovery, they are very defensive. I, being a Chinese (but not Mainland Chinese), had to explain to them the consequences of not acknowledging their mistakes. Mainlanders have this mentality that whatever happen outside of China is none of their concern (same as some Americans). So if a problem occurs outside their country, they assume it doesn't affect them. Of course, this type of thinking is absolutely wrong.
Yeah, don't even get me started on FedEx. See my user name and you will know who I spent 22 years working for. THAT is a prime example of a Western company that works it's employees to the point of a heart attack (which is why I'm now on a government disability pension... no thanks to their crappy group benefits provider, who I paid into for the past 22 years). No surprise that they would cut a deal on shipping costs to another unscrupulous company like TRN. I gave my life to FedEx and bled their "purple blood" waiting for promises made when I was hired to be fulfilled. But that's another story. The fact that they entered into an agreement with a worldwide shipping company, doesn't change the fact that TRN has been shipping sub par products to their customers, who have relied on their honest representation of those products. The bottom line is, they LIED. Selling cables claimed to be 6 core or 8 core (with wire strands that aren't even in use) is flat out falsification. If they think that they can rip off Western customers, then maybe these customers disappear. The Western market is huge, and if they lose that, then they might as well close up shop. They need to remember something. The views and opinions made on sites like headfi; or on YouTube (like BGGAR, Zpolt, Currawong, etc.) have a widespread appeal, even to many from Asia. If TRN lost not only the Western market, but also their major Asian market from Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, and India or Pakistan; they would be up "crap's creek". That would result in HUGE sales losses from a market that the Chinese already dominate. Mainland China needs to get their heads out of their asses. If they ignore this problem, no one will trust them, and their sales will plummet. Who will fill the gap? Russians, or other eastern bloc countries? I highly doubt it. Their people have enough problems just putting food on their tables. TRN and China need to do right by their current customers, or their products/companies won't survive in the market.

Jun 11, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #279 of 3,805
You left out the "Knowles" BA part. There are something known as "Grade B" stock. Meaning stocks that are rejected by the manufacturer that didn't meet their specifications. A lot of Chi-Fi "Knowles" BAs are from that stockpile. Worse, some just advertise Knowles BAs but use fakes instead.

And this is not even an industry secret... I have heard manufacturers brag about it openly.
Like the Tinaudio T3's Knowles driver?As far I know ,There is a higher tier of Bellsing which is Estron and Estron is a near perfect clone of Knowles if Im right?

Jun 11, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #280 of 3,805
Yeah, don't even get me started on FedEx. See my user name and you will know who I spent 22 years working for. THAT is a prime example of a Western company that works it's employees to the point of a heart attack (which is why I'm now on a government disability pension... no thanks to their ****ty group benefits provider, who I paid into for the past 22 years). No surprise that they would cut a deal on shipping costs to another unscrupulous company like TRN. I gave my life to FedEx and bled their "purple blood" waiting for promises made when I was hired to be fulfilled. But that's another story. The fact that they entered into an agreement with a worldwide shipping company, doesn't change the fact that TRN has been shipping sub par products to their customers, who have relied on their honest representation of those products. The bottom line is, they LIED. Selling cables claimed to be 6 core or 8 core (with wire strands that aren't even in use) is flat out falsification. If they think that they can rip off Western customers, then maybe these customers disappear. The Western market is huge, and if they lose that, then they might as well close up shop. They need to remember something. The views and opinions made on sites like headfi; or on YouTube (like BGGAR, Zpolt, Currawong, etc.) have a widespread appeal, even to many from Asia. If TRN lost not only the Western market, but also their major Asian market from Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, and India or Pakistan; they would be up "****'s creek". That would result in HUGE sales losses from a market that the Chinese already dominate. Mainland China needs to get their heads out of their asses. If they ignore this problem, no one will trust them, and their sales will plummet. Who will fill the gap? Russians, or other eastern bloc countries? I highly doubt it. Their people have enough problems just putting food on their tables. TRN and China need to do right by their current customers, or their products/companies won't survive in the market.

Wow... You really are pissed... And I can't blame you. Working for a company like that sure have lots of anger and frustration bottled-up all these years. To tell you the truth, UPS and DHL are no better than FedEx (in your case, FedUp Xpress or FedUpX).

Anyway, judging from your "biography", we should be around the same age. Come on, relax! Life is more than just FedUpX, audio and Chinese conmen... I am taking life easy these days due to my diabetes and hypertension. How many more decades can we live on this Earth to smell the roses?

At our age, the biggest conmen of all are hospitals, pharmaceutical and insurance companies. Keep yourself healthy and free from worries so they won't come knocking at your door.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #281 of 3,805
So despite all of the "Cablegate" nonsense of the last few days, I wanted to post something positive about a TRN product.

It all started when (on the 1More H1707 triple driver headphone thread), a fellow member shared a cool 2.5mm-to-MMCX adapter he made. The adapter allows mmcx cables to be used on the 1More H1707 triple driver headphone, instead of the mediocre stock cable:

10296912.jpg

Anyways, using his instructions, I made my own 2.5mm-to-MMCX adapter:

Except that I took mine one step further, and attached the mmcx version of the awesome TRN BT20:

Surprisingly, the TRN BT20 drives the H1707 really well! It's a headphone intended for portable devices, so it's easy to drive from low power devices (although to get the most out of the ceramic piezo tweeter, it does definitely benefit from amping).

I LOVE the total wireless freedom :)

Despite being an awesome headphone, it's not a very popular headphone for modding. Honestly, I'm probably the only person in the world that has modded them LOL. Anyways, if you're interested in the other mods I've done to my H1707:

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #283 of 3,805
Anyone know if the new BT20s is available for the international market yet ?

Wasn't aware they were even out in China yet??

Jun 11, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #284 of 3,805
I’m in the same boat as a bunch of you folks. Retired early on Disability and having a fixed income keeps me constantly looking for bargains and this market segment offers a clear cut bang for your buck most of the time. If I buy anything pricey its a one off and rare case, the mislabeling, wrong description type stuff ticks me off. I’m loving the T3’s I bought through the trades here thinking I’m finally gonna hear a Knowles BA but now I’m not sure whats in my ears.

Bottom line for me is the sound and Chi Fi as we call it offers some excellent sounding products if you do your research. By the way has anybody here heard anything from TRN?

Has anybody heard IM2?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #285 of 3,805
Anyone know if the new BT20s is available for the international market yet ?

Wasn't aware they were even out in China yet??

I just received the marketing material from TRN yesterday. It will be launched in Mainland China and HK SAR on the 15th, and international launch approximately a week later.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back