1MORE H1707 Triple-Driver Over Ear
Apr 22, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #212 of 1,586
I received the H1707 on Friday. Well built.

Apr 22, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #213 of 1,586
Hi guys, between these and the momentum over ear wireless (€ 280) what will you take? (Android phone, I could use the mometums with aptx)

Well, let me put it this way. I traded in my Momentum Over-Ears for the 1Mores. They weren't the wireless ones, but if they had been I would have still done the same thing.

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #214 of 1,586
I'm on the fence, but I'm interested in new travel headphones. The silver 1More headphones look like they might be what I've been looking for.

I've been using the NAD HP50 and am ready to try something new (plus, who likes the way that the HP50s look on your head? LOL). The 1More seems easy to drive based upon Innerfidelity's specs, fold up nice with a case, and based on the graphs, appear to have a v-shaped sound I would like. And I love the design aesthetic, which is close to a retro Grado like look; much better than yet another headphone building upon the style created by Beats.

Anyone with the 1More know how these sound compared to the HP50 or the Sony MDR1A? Or perhaps the 1More triple driver IEMs?

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #216 of 1,586
The 1More has much tighter bass than the Sony which is a bit flabby

Thanks!

How about overall frequency response? No more v-shaped than the MDR1A? I like the MDR1A overall for a <$200 headphone but more bass and treble emphasis than that would be too much for me. A little less would be fine :)

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #217 of 1,586
Well, let me put it this way. I traded in my Momentum Over-Ears for the 1Mores. They weren't the wireless ones, but if they had been I would have still done the same thing.
Reading a bit 'I saw that they have different sound signature, the 1More are V the mometum less. However, I took the mometums that will arrive Tuesday. If I am not satisfied I send back and take 1More.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #218 of 1,586
I am just more and more impressed with these headphones as time goes on. I’m blown away by the sound quality and the build. Headphones are just like music in that people like wildly different things, different music and different sound signatures will please some people and not others. So of course these won’t work for everyone. However, for me these are exactly how I would want a headphone tuned. They just sound perfect to me. They are a “fun” headphone which is to my liking. I love the bass, love the mids, and love the treble. They are so incredibly clear and punchy, and the bass, I believe because of the passive radiator, is so visceral and physical. I feel like 1more has totally nailed it. I have other more expensive headphones and they all do certain things well. The triple drivers just do everything right for me across the board and I look forward to coming home and listening to them. I just don’t think you can go wrong with these, especially for the price. And just to add, I feel the same way about my 1more quad drivers. I hate to sound like or be a fanboy... but my goodness these headphones are so good and so amazingly fun. I put a different headphone on now and they sound dull to me. Can’t recommend these enough and if ever anyone asked me what to buy to start their journey into headfi-dom these and the quads would be at the top of the list because they’re affordable to boot. Love them.

Apr 22, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #219 of 1,586
I am just more and more impressed with these headphones as time goes on. I’m blown away by the sound quality and the build. Headphones are just like music in that people like wildly different things, different music and different sound signatures will please some people and not others. So of course these won’t work for everyone. However, for me these are exactly how I would want a headphone tuned. They just sound perfect to me. They are a “fun” headphone which is to my liking. I love the bass, love the mids, and love the treble. They are so incredibly clear and punchy, and the bass, I believe because of the passive radiator, is so visceral and physical. I feel like 1more has totally nailed it. I have other more expensive headphones and they all do certain things well. The triple drivers just do everything right for me across the board and I look forward to coming home and listening to them. I just don’t think you can go wrong with these, especially for the price. And just to add, I feel the same way about my 1more quad drivers. I hate to sound like or be a fanboy... but my goodness these headphones are so good and so amazingly fun. I put a different headphone on now and they sound dull to me. Can’t recommend these enough and if ever anyone asked me what to buy to start their journey into headfi-dom these and the quads would be at the top of the list because they’re affordable to boot. Love them.

Well said.

I bought my extra pair with the intent of giving it to my brother for his birthday next month. I know he'll like them much more than the Beats he uses now, from the build quality to the superior sound.

Apr 23, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #220 of 1,586
Well said.

I bought my extra pair with the intent of giving it to my brother for his birthday next month. I know he'll like them much more than the Beats he uses now, from the build quality to the superior sound.

Why did you let him listen to Beats for so long? I was surprised that you were able to get the gold version in the States. I hate calling them gold. It is definitely not what I would call gold. As you said, it is not yellowish at all. I love the color that they used on these.

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #221 of 1,586
Why did you let him listen to Beats for so long? I was surprised that you were able to get the gold version in the States. I hate calling them gold. It is definitely not what I would call gold. As you said, it is not yellowish at all. I love the color that they used on these.

He’s stubborn and just didn’t know better, plus he’s not as into audio as I am. And I think he figured since the Beats were expensive (overpriced) they must be ‘really good’. I’m willing to bet it’s all too common a story with your average non-HeadFier. Unfortunately the mindset that ‘Beats are good’ has been engrained into society, even more so now that Apple owns them. A real shame.

Anyways, he’s listened to all of my headphones before, and I’ve offered to give him any of them he liked. Up until now, he’s always refused saying he likes his wireless Beats better (I think the Studio 2 or Executive or one of those models - it’s the larger over-ear one, that admittedly sounds better and more balanced than most Beats ie Solo).

He can’t do open, so something closed was his only real option. My silver 1More triples were the 1st ones he finally said he liked better than his Beats (maybe he just liked how they looked or the build quality; who knows), He said he really needed the wireless functionality though. It wasn’t until I showed him the Xiaomi adapter that he finally came around.

As far as getting the gold (copper) version in the US, anyone who is interested can send me a PM me, and I will assist with the appropriate official channels :)

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #222 of 1,586
So I added the gold H1707 to the stable, so I now have both gold and silver versions.

I will be doing official reviews of both, but for now I wanted to post some quick and dirty impressions, since I know many of you have questions about gold vs silver.

Cosmetic differences:

"Gold" ie EU/Asian version:
  • The gold color isn't gold (ie yellow) at all, but rather a beautiful gold/copper-ish color
  • The disc/cover in the center of the passive bass radiator is the same anodized gold/copper-ish color as the cups
  • The headband has very small gold/copper piping accents running the length of either side
  • The fabric covering the cable (below the Y connector) is black w/red speckled throughout
  • The metal bodies of the Y split, 2.5mm, & 3.5mm are the same anodized gold/copper-ish color as the cups

"Silver" ie US version:
  • The silver color isn't silver, but rather a titanium color
  • The disc/cover in the center of the passive bass radiator is the same anodized titanium color as the cups
  • The headband has very small silver piping accents running the length of either side
  • The fabric covering the cable (below the Y connector) is all black
  • The metal bodies of the Y split, 2.5mm, & 3.5mm are the anodized black

Packaging:
  • The packaging is identical between the 2 versions (we know at some point 1More will change the text on the silver version's box to reflect the graphene driver)

Sound Difference:
As you all know, the drivers are different between the 2 versions (Gold=titanium, Silver-graphene). In all honesty though, the difference in sound between the 2 are pretty minor. They both sound excellent. IMO, the Silver version has more sub-bass punch, is a bit warmer sounding, and has a bit cleaner bass presentation (that I have found is somewhat characteristic of graphene drivers). The Gold version has a few dBs less sub-bass (but it still has sub-bass, and deep hitting at that). As far as treble, remember the ceramic-piezo driver fills in a lot of the treble. Therefore, it's logical that the treble is quite similar between the 2 versions. Both have bright and sparkly treble, with plenty of lively energy. The treble on the Gold version is slightly more thin and dry, and the treble on the Silver version is a little smoother. I would be interested in seeing a FR graph of each, as to my ears the differences boils down to merely a few dBs here and there.

Removing the grille for the passive radiator, the bass vents are identical in size. Externally, the cup construction, vents, etc appear 100% identical between the 2 colors.

Final Verdict:
I was surprised at how minimal the tuning differences were. Both are essentially v-shaped headphones, the silver version is just a little north of v-shaped (towards the neutral side), and the gold version is a little south of v-shaped (more v-shaped with a bit more sub-bass). Don't stress out too much about the "right" one to pick. Just get whatever is easiest to get in your country, or get whichever color you like better. They both sound great, and you literally can't go wrong with either. That's why there are numerous comments from owners saying the Gold version "sounds just fine to me". Neither are bad. Yes, technically there are (minor) tuning differences, but it's really splitting hairs.

If I was forced to pick 1, it would be the silver version. I listen to EDM, and like the little bit of extra sub-bass oomph. If I had never heard the silver version though, I would be just as happy with the gold version, and would never even have known there was a difference.

Let me know if that's helpful or not, and let me know if anyone has any specific questions. I'll bring them both with me to the next Ohio CanJam for anyone that wants to listen to them both back-to-back for themselves.

Thanks! (and thanks to @mbwilson111 for finding yet more ways to tempt me!).

May 3, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #223 of 1,586
FYI if anyone is wondering, the pads DO come off the H1707.

They are glued with a sticky-type adhesive. You can gently pry the pads up (working around the circumference) with a metal spudger tool or non-serrated butter knife. There are (4) clips and (2) alignment pins.

In theory, the pads are replaceable with universals if need be (although you would have to replicate the (10) holes punched into the inner edge of the pad). I may upgrade mine with sheepskin pads, experiment with deeper pads, oval pads, etc.

I also fully took apart the cups to understand how everything works, and to examine for mod opportunities (I'm already working on a few). Regardless, it's a pretty neat design, and very serviceable. Kudos to 1More.

Everything goes back together just fine, including the pads. When you completely disassemble the cups, you have to watch the alignment of the dynamic driver section, as the ceramic driver is offset and must be put back the same way. If you only remove the pads, this is not a concern as the pads are self-aligning via the pins.

Sorry, no pics (I'll snap some next time). And yes, I know about warranty void blah blah blah, so insert standard disclaimer here.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #224 of 1,586
Here are some pics (and the 1st mod) - click photos for a larger view.

The 80mm ear pad (notice the sticky adhesive around the circumference, the 2 alignment pins, and the foam sleeve for sealing purposes):
IMG-1645.JPG
IMG-1646.JPG

The business end:
IMG-1649.JPG
IMG-1651.JPG

Wow, that's a thick piece of foam! Wait a minute...it's not just 1 piece - it's 2, no 3, no FOUR layers of foam:
IMG-1648.JPG
IMG-1647.JPG

Let's see what's hiding under the foam (hint -> graphene goodness):
IMG-1652.JPG

Notice how the ceramic driver is angled - nice touch:
IMG-1653.JPG

So what is the foam disc's impact on sound?
  • Switching between the foam and no foam, you can instantly tell that the foam acts to smooth out the overall sound. However, it does this at the expense of adding a noticeable veil. And this makes sense, as there are FOUR layers of foam between your ears and the driver stack.
  • A HUGE boost in clarity without the foam. Everything becomes crystal clear. This can be good and bad. If you have a cell phone and 128k MP3 recordings, it will not sound good. If you have a good source and good recordings, you will love the difference.
  • Midrange has more presence. The foam is obviously filtering midrange. Vocals and instruments have more authority, and sound clearer/more natural.
  • A hint of sibilance*** shows on sibilant recordings (only). This can't be helped, as it's in the source. You probably already know which recordings you have that are "hot", so it will be no surprise. It's just not being smoothed out by all of the foam. That's the tradeoff for the increased clarity.
  • Brighter treble. If you are extremely treble sensitive, you probably won't like it (although your brain does adjust). If you like bright and sparkly treble, you will definitely prefer it with no foam. Do you like Grados or bright IEMs (VSonic GR07, Swing IE800, KZ ZS5, etc)? Then you will love it with no foam. Again, if you don't like it, you can easily put the foam back.
  • The extra treble can get fatiguing*** after a few hours (3 seems to be when I really notice it). Obviously, that varies by person, and it will depend on the music you're listening to.
If you do this, it's totally reversible. The disc just peels off, and can be stored on a small piece of wax paper. At any point, you can simply re-adhere the foam. I went back and forth (removing and reinstalling the foam) at least 5 times to fully understand the sound differences. Each time, the foam stuck back in it's original position perfectly.

Also, if you try this, you will need to be very careful with the ceramic driver (and it's wiring). All of that foam does provide an additional layer of protection for the ceramic driver. So when you take the headphones on and off, you just have to be aware of where your big sausage fingers are grabbing. If you were to smash down your thumb in the center of the ear pad with force (for example), you will likely damage the ceramic driver. Although if you're that careless, I doubt 1/4" of foam is going to be enough protection.

Finally, it is common sense that (as an adult) anything you do to your gear is at your own risk (including any impact on warranty).

Attachments

• IMG-1658.JPG
    IMG-1658.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-1659.JPG
    IMG-1659.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #225 of 1,586
OK, I am back with a mod update.

1More definitely had the right idea by dampening the ceramic driver with the thicker 4-layer foam. However, by covering everything with the foam disc, they also dampened the full details from the wonderful dynamic driver. I combined the 2 tuning methods for the best of both worlds!

The result is a big improvement over stock, and I am 100% pleased with the results. It takes everything good about the stock sound, and fixes the deficiencies. The results is like the stock tuning, except ripped on steroids (w/no fatigue or sibilance).

So basically here's what you do:

1. Remove the ear pads and set them aside. They are glued with a sticky, reusable adhesive. Gently pry the pads up (slowly working your way around the circumference) by applying leverage with a metal spudger tool or non-serrated butter knife.

2. Remove the round foam disc as explained above (peeling up from the edges, and temporarily sticking it to a scrap of wax paper).

3. Using scissors, cut ONE of the foam pads in half:
Foam Cut 1.JPG

4. Now cut each half info half again:
Foam Cut 2.JPG

5. Now set aside the outer (smallest) pieces, as they will not be used for this mod. You will be using the (2) larger pieces (indicated by arrows):
Foam Pieces.jpg

6. On the face of the "grille", you will notice a section of "solid" plastic on either side of the ceramic driver (where there are no holes).

Untitled drawing (2).jpg

Now imagine making a straight line that goes through that solid section of plastic, intersecting the ceramic driver (as indicated by the yellow line below). This imaginary line is where you'll be putting the foam strip in step 8.

Foam Goes Here.jpg

7. Take 1 of the long pieces of foam from step 5 above, and remove it from the wax paper, exposing the adhesive:
Foam Back.JPG

8. Now stick the foam over the area that was indicated by the yellow line in step 6. The strip of foam adheres to the outer edges of the driver grille (just like the round foam disc did):
Foam Final Mod.JPG

9. Reinstall the ear pad.

10. On the other side, remove the round foam disc from step 2. However, do not cut that foam pad. Since you created (2) long pieces of foam in step 5, simply use the other foam piece to complete the mod (by following steps 6-9).

11. Save the unused foam disc on a scrap of wax paper (as well as the smaller unused pieces of foam from step 5) in a plastic bag for safe keeping. You'll be able to revert back to the "stock" configuration at any point in time, by simply peeling the pieces from the wax paper and putting everything back where it was originally.

I will keep evaluating other improvements to this headphone, but for such a simple 10 minute mod, I am very pleased with the results; a 100% improvement.

Obviously I know warranty void blah blah blah, so standard 'do mod at your own risk' disclaimer here.

I am going to repeat the mod on the gold version as well (since I know most people own that version). Since it uses the same large round foam disc, I expect the improvements to be positive as well. I will report the results.

@AudiophileAri, please consider passing this along to the engineering department for evaluation and consideration. This simple modification to the manufacturing process could be easily implemented.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back