1MORE H1707 Triple-Driver Over Ear
May 27, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #391 of 1,586
Scan has the grey ones on pre-order, they should be in stock on Tuesday. The possibility of spreading the cost is kind of appealing, too.
I'm holding off on these until I can hear them or Amazon stocks them for easily returns, though.

That Scan price has to be without VAT right? Otherwise it would be too good to be true. Even with 24% VAT in Finland that would be 211 € which is also on the low side of things. Can't beat amazon's hazzle-free returning though for sure but will have to take into consideration the Scan.uk option though.

May 27, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #392 of 1,586
Yeah, if I had my choice between the 2 (and they were the same price), I would go with the silver ones. They both sound good, bit IMO the silver one edges out the gold one. I gave the gold pair to my brother for his birthday, and he absolutely loves them.

But money is money, so if it was a choice between the silver one vs the gold one at $100 cheaper, I would be more than happy with the gold one. Especially when the $100 saved will by you a nice portable headphone amp.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #393 of 1,586
That Scan price has to be without VAT right? Otherwise it would be too good to be true. Even with 24% VAT in Finland that would be 211 € which is also on the low side of things. Can't beat amazon's hazzle-free returning though for sure but will have to take into consideration the Scan.uk option though.

I tried putting it into my trolley and then went to the checkout and it said £149.99 including VAT without shipping.
The golden/brass version went down to about £122-ish earlier this year, I think.

May 27, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #394 of 1,586
This headphone is a real gem, especially considering the price. It just needs a good portable or desk top amp to show its full potential. It’s design and size are for portability but the sound quality is miles ahead of other consumer portable headphones. It kills the Momentum, B&W PX, B&O etc. The only thing I have reservations about it is the fit. It’s not uncomfortable but I prefer true over ear design.

May 27, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #395 of 1,586
I tried putting it into my trolley and then went to the checkout and it said £149.99 including VAT without shipping.
The golden/brass version went down to about £122-ish earlier this year, I think.

They won't ship to Canada, will they?

May 29, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #397 of 1,586
It would be great if you could get your hands on the gold version as well and compare . Excellent review. Interesting to read the comparisons to the NAD and the NEO as I have both.

Ugh I passed by the gold one in a store in Taipei on vacation last weekend, darn it!

May 30, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #398 of 1,586
Over the last few weeks, I've been refining my testing with various pads, and wanted to share the results of the pad I have finally settled on.

After additional testing, I ended not being crazy about just slipping new pads over the stock cups (as seen here):
DSCN0043.JPG

The fit was just too loose to provide a tight enough seal, and bass suffered as a result.

Therefore, I have concentrated my recent testing on pads that reuse the stock plastic mounting ring. This retains the clip mounting system, as well as the stock foam ring, providing a stock-like seal and no loss of bass.

I settled on an oval replacement pad designed for Beats Studio 2.0. I have used these a few other headphone projects, and I like them a lot. They're the most compact oval pad that I've ever found that is truly over ear. While the Beats pad isn't as generously sized as larger pads (like HM5), it has exactly enough room to fit my ear fully inside (YMMV depending on your ear size). It's a bit thicker than stock, which provided me enough room so that my ears didn't rub on the ceramic tweeter (which was worth its weight in gold).

If you want to know how well this pad would fit with your ears, simply go anywhere that sells Beats (Apple store, WalMart, Best Buy, Target, etc) and try on a pair of Beats Studio 2.0 (wired or wireless). You can also have someone measure the H x W of your ears for you.

The Beats pads are available in multiple colors and materials (including protein leather and velour). I got black protein leather, and paid $15.

Here's how the size compares to stock:
  • Stock pad - Round, OD (80mm), ID (45mm), Thickness (15mm)
  • Beats Studio 2.0 pad - Oval, OD (90mm H x 80mm W), ID (55mm H x 40mm W), Thickness (20mm)
Here's the 2 pads side-by-side so you can visualize the difference:
IMG-1793.JPG

The Beats pads do require the removal of the stock pad from its plastic mounting ring. Harvesting the plastic mounting rings require destroying the stock pads, so you should consider the stock pads as 'sacrificial'.

However, if your stock pads are worn out beyond saving (as all of our pads will be at some point down the road), this is no big deal. Also, since my ears rubbed the tweeter due to it's poor depth and small ID, I was perfectly fine sacrificing my stock pads (as the result was a usable and comfortable solution).

Perhaps someone can/will come up with a 3D printed mounting ring at some point (maybe even me) so the stock pad/mounting ring doesn't have to be touched at all.

1. Anyways, you start by removing the stock pads from the headphones (by prying w/a credit card, dull non-serrated butter knife, spudger tool, etc).
IMG-1791.JPG

2. Once you have the stock pads removed, you separate the stock pad from the plastic mounting ring by simply peeling it off:
IMG-1797.JPG
IMG-1794.JPG

3. With the stock pad separated from the plastic mounting ring, remove any adhesive residue by rubbing the residue with your thumb in a continuous rolling motion. Here's what you're left with.
IMG-1799.JPG

4. Before you mount your Beats pad, remove the thin layer of foam from the back of the pad (if you don't, the sound will be veiled). Just tear/peel off the foam layer off and discard. The Beats pad will still have the layer of fabric in the center (like the stock pad where the L and R is written). You can see the foam layer here (the color of the foam can vary):
foam.jpg

5. The Studio 2.0 pads come with 3M adhesive pre-attached (the good quality pads at least; the cheap ones have generic adhesive that adheres poorly). You simply peel the backing paper off, center the pad using the 4 clips as a guide (ie like 'cross hairs'), and stick the Beats pad to the face of the plastic trim ring (pressing firmly/evenly to ensure complete adhesion):
IMG-1792.JPG
IMG-1808.JPG

6. Now snap the pad back onto the headphone and you're done. Make sure you line up the 2 alignment pins on the plastic trim ring (shown in the top photo) with the 2 alignment holes in the face of the earcup (shown in the bottom photo):
Untitled drawing (2).jpg
Untitled drawing (1).jpg

Here's the finished product:
IMG-1807.JPG
IMG-1806.JPG

Because the internal volume of the Beats pads is very close to the stock pad, there is virtually no change in sound (other than a slightly wider soundstage). They are now truly over-ears (at least my ears), with no rubbing on the tweeter - success!

I feel this solution supersedes my previous pad replacements I posted a number of pages back. However, if your ears are just too large for the Beats pads, the method I laid out to use the HM5 pads (and example) is still a valid option.

Finally, replacing the Beats pads (when they eventually wear out) couldn't be easier. Just pull them off, pitch them, and peel and stick on a new set.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #400 of 1,586
That looks perfect! Shame they didn't opt for similar pads for starters

I agree, it is a shame. I guess it was a “you can’t please everybody” decision. If they had used larger on ear pads, some people would have complained that they weren’t portable enough because they weren’t on ear lol.

What would have been great is if 1More set it up like the Xiaomi Mi v1 headphone (the beryllium one). The pads mounted via a twist-lock method, and they included 2 different sized pads - a smaller round on-ear pad, and a larger oval over-ear pad. The customer was free to install whichever ones worked best for them.

Philips did this with the A5 Pro as well, except they had 3 different pads.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #401 of 1,586
What would have been great is if 1More set it up like the Xiaomi Mi v1 headphone (the beryllium one). The pads mounted via a twist-lock method, and they included 2 different sized pads - a smaller round on-ear pad, and a larger oval over-ear pad. The customer was free to install whichever ones worked best for them.

The video I saw showed 3 sets of pads for the Xiaomi Mi v1 headphone (the beryllium one). I think the third one was Grado-like. I really did think I was getting the version one when I ordered. I think that seller still uses the version 1 description. Anyway, my husband now has my version 2 MI. I hope he likes it. It does have a graphene driver and the Hi Res certification.

May 30, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #402 of 1,586
The video I saw showed 3 sets of pads for the Xiaomi Mi v1 headphone (the beryllium one). I think the third one was Grado-like. I really did think I was getting the version one when I ordered. I think that seller still uses the version 1 description. Anyway, my husband now has my version 2 MI. I hope he likes it. It does have a graphene driver and the Hi Res certification.

Could be 3, I'm not 100% sure.

The marketing literature only shows and references 2 (an on-ear and an over-ear).

81oEWwUA06L._SL1500_.jpg
71rLaggKsEL._SL1500_.jpg

May 30, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #403 of 1,586
Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #405 of 1,586
To anyone wondering I just received the "euro" pair shipped to Canada from China. It was through ebay @ $139 us. with free shipping. Legit and they sound great. Ordered May 18 arrived today, May 30.
Link: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1MORE-H1707-Triple-Driver-Over-Ear-Headphones-with-Microphone-Mp3/163039545701?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I was worried about the microphone but there is none. Exactly like the vids.

Thanks. I guess those are "grey market and therefore considered evil". Having said that, if I wasn't wanting the silver (graphene driver) model, I might jump all over that deal because the alternative is to pay more than $350CAD total for what's offered on amazon.ca. Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back