Triple Fi 10 - Is this a joke?
Dec 2, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #47 of 186

Quote:
 I purchased the Triple. Fi's through last years deal for 99$ or so. 

Since then I had to take three steps of changes to achieve a level where I pretty much can enjoy them when I need to.

1. Removing the stock cable, throwing it as far as away as possible, hoping never to see it again...  Then replacing it with a silver cable that fitwise gives me a more comfortable experience.

2. Using the Meelectronics "balanced double flangers" because they gave me the best fit compared to at least hundreds of different of tips.

3.  Amping it with a relative transparent amp like the Headsix that doesn't boost the the lower frequencies, just my choice.

4. Using the Triple's primarily listening to tracks/albums where I experience they perform at their best.

I can't say which of these single factors was the most responsible to improve my experience, but it did result in a better overall balance, meaning less recessed mids and so much more comfortable to wear.   

Regarding the UE700. I have a pair of these as well, very decent, certainly more V/U shaped in signature with sibilance added if not used with the right tips, and IMO nowhere near the triple's performance.

would you mind linking the double-flange tips you bought from Meelectonics?

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #48 of 186
This might seem like a dig at people on head-fi but this is how I see it:
People love and worship the IE8 for example...
I heard them and just screwed my face over and went WHAT!? Are you SERIOUS?
In other words: How can people be recommending this crap, it disconnects every touch of the jack, the sound is really bad (had burned-in already), the build quality isn't exactly great, and the seal was bad too.
All for a cheap £160+? You are kidding me right???

In short, I bought myself the denon 751's, was very very happy with my purchase. Only thing that was lacking from a £53 set of phones was the clarity and the mid/highs...thus I'm looking at the MTPG

I'm being honest with you:
People on here, or people that own big things for example, always will say it's the best thing, or think it isn't bad, especially after they have bought the item itself. 

I'll tell you this:
tf10 demo = don't get me started...I put them down after 2mins of listening to them, rubbish
ie8 = nice sound stage...but I don't want to be hearing things that are a million miles away to be quite honest, I want some things to be in front. And the ie8's didn't deliver in the bass department even at max level
se530 = not bad, but I found it didn't have that bass punch
w2 = not enough bass at all - BA driver
w3 = nice, however for the £350 odd you have to pay for it, not worth it
ex700 = very "spiky" so to speak highs spike and the treble is very high on them
751 = great, just need to be a little more portable, as they are heavy and bulky, but for the price that I got them at £52 = best IEM's iv'e owned

Now I'm looking at an upgrade....
So yeah mate, at the end of the day, it all depends on what YOU WANT
By that I mean, go try them if you can (demo them) or ask someone who owns your old IEMS and the new ones you are considering for a good honest comparison.

Zee Dub master :p

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #49 of 186

Quote:

So yeah mate, at the end of the day, it all depends on what YOU WANT

Hi, there's a slight contradiction with saying this, and declaring with absolute certainty that other specific earphones are terrible. Not very kind of you, especially since different people can experience the same earphones very differently. 

OP's trying to figure out why he hears his TripleFi the way he does; perhaps he doesn't like the way they sound, but there's hardly a need to belabour the point like that, no?

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #50 of 186
If you are using the comply tips, i agree with your opinions on the treble. I totally hated the comply on my TF10s. Try swapping tips, i find the sony hybrid tips to work pretty well on these.

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #51 of 186
He went on recommendations is what I read.
I did that too, and made a mistake.

What I'm saying in short is, try it out for yourself before you buy, and it looks like the TF10's aren't for him.

Indeed people might be different, but at the end of the day £200 earphones shouldn't be just OK-worse in some departments in comparison to £45 ones put it that way.
No matter anyone's opinion, including mine, earphones at that price should sound better overall in comparison to their cheaper competitors. By that I mean the £50-100 range ones

Quote:

Hi, there's a slight contradiction with saying this, and declaring with absolute certainty that other specific earphones are terrible. Not very kind of you, especially since different people can experience the same earphones very differently. 

OP's trying to figure out why he hears his TripleFi the way he does; perhaps he doesn't like the way they sound, but there's hardly a need to belabour the point like that, no?

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #52 of 186

Quote:

What I'm saying in short is, try it out for yourself before you buy, and it looks like the TF10's aren't for him.

Indeed people might be different, but at the end of the day £200 earphones shouldn't be just OK-worse in some departments in comparison to £45 ones put it that way.
No matter anyone's opinion, including mine, earphones at that price should sound better overall in comparison to their cheaper competitors. By that I mean the £50-100 range ones

Quote:

Audio is, at the end of the day, subjective. However, you are making it sound like if some of the earphones you heard are extremely terrible due to their sound signature weaknesses. Maybe you just aren't wearing them properly. Or it just simply doesn't suit you... but that doesn't mean they are terrible. Many have come to love the phones you are currently criticizing.

Or maybe your ears do prefer cheap phones. In that case, good for you, you get to save money. Try not to rain on everyone else's parade though. :)

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #53 of 186
X2. Two minutes trying a phone, and rubbish? Not saying the TF10s are world beaters, but choosing the 751s over some of those other phones certainly is personal preference, but doubtful a majority view. If you want to move up into the next price range, just get customs, like the JH5s. It's what I did, and not a twinge of regret. But no reason to trash stuff other people like.

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #54 of 186
I think we're very much in agreement. It's fair to expect top-tier earphones to leave one floored (assuming one likes the purported sound signature of the 'phone), and the only acceptable trade-off is in price. Still, I know first-hand that listening tastes can change: I was a UM1 user, adored the Westone 3, eventually upgraded to an IE8, and now find the W3 unsatisfactory to demo. Therefore I very much support your stance of try before you buy.

On the bright side, OP got his TripleFi from the Amazon deal, which was hard to pass up with or without recommendations...

Quote:

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #55 of 186
I'm no expert, but to be truthful, I wouldn't hate something just because they don't have the sound signature you like. Being that the TF10s were my First headphones, I innately could never look down upon them. I personally like my TF10s for classic hard rock (like Rush) but it does sound horrible to me at all. True the mids are recessed, and the highs aren't "phenomenal" but to me the mids sort of sound natural (in a concert). Than again it depends on your music preference. Sound stage is pretty good (reference YYZ - Rush - Apple Lossless or Beethoven - Cavatina String Quartet - Apple Lossless). With the lack of a mid BA what more would you expect? To me the 535 has better versatility especially with the beautiful mids and decent highs. But you are comparing a pair of $400 headphones on its best day with a pair of $100 headphones on its best day. True they are in the same class of headphones, but the fit on the 535s are so much better and has a different BA setup. The TF10s are the ones I tend to use most as they do what I like, and that's express the lows evenly with a decent sound stage. Not sure what you mean by clarity, but I believe the clarity is decent. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it is garbage or compare them to vibes, but it is pretty decent. Of course the bass is not going to be as exaggerated as the MT lineup and neither is the mids or clarity going to be as nice as the SE53Xs. However, with metal the TF10s work like a charm. It's all of a matter of personal preference. To answer your title question. Yeah it may be a joke, to you. But not to me and many others on this forum. Just the way I see it

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #58 of 186
One of my friends has this and it sounds great when I heard them.. maybe its defective or would it not fitting correctly make that much of a difference?

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #59 of 186

Quote:
Quote:
sorry, but I have a hard time taking much stock in who says the "shure se230's" are better. What exactly are the SE230's? You mean SE210?

The model lineup has been revamped.

I'm fully aware of the stock being re-vamped. Still, I ask, what the hell is a Shure SE230? Shure is discontinuing the SE210 all together, not renaming it to a SE230. 

And to the OP who humorously called me a prick, I'm not trying to offend you, I'm only pointing out that you were incorrect on the product names of 2 of the products you mentioned in your post, which causes me to question the knowledge you have of those products (especially when claiming the se210s have superior sq to the triple.fi's)... and yes, I enjoy starting sentences out w/ lower-case letters. At least I know how to spell; or at the very lease use spell-check...

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #60 of 186
I got mine two days ago and I really love the way they sound.  The stock tips that they came with were okay but didn't give me the best seal.  I am using some tips from the DBA-02 and they are more comfortable and sound awesome.  TripleFi's respond well to EQ so I suggest that, like many others have.  I have heard many different kinds of IEMs and these are definitely my favorite, by far. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back