Triple Fi 10 - Is this a joke?
Dec 1, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #31 of 186

Exactly whats said here.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Either poor fit or defective. Calling them veiled in the upper end is something I won't ever associate with the TripleFis. They have a clear V-shaped sound signature that won't appeal to all.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #32 of 186

Not at all.  Fletcher Munson strikes again.  People discount synergy w/ impressions as well.  There are a few respected Headfiers I appreciate that I know hear nothing like me.  It happens.

Quote:
I am actually assuming that the soundwave produced from the Triple.Fi just simply don't work well for his ear canal instead of preferences.

Maybe I just made a fool out of myself.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #34 of 186
I find I have to EQ these to make them sound a little more open. Right now, I have the EQ set to soft rock, which seems to equalize the 500-2khz, with the 4k-6khz, and picks up the low and high end quite a bit.
Perhaps the MTPC's have ruined my perception of music, because they hit the notes I want to hear. However, going from memory, I always remembered the TF10's to be a great IEM without EQ. Maybe there's a slew of bad batches going around? Screwy crossover's? Or maybe I just moved on to a different signature prefrence..

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #35 of 186
I have been a head-fier for years now, and the one thing I learned is that everybody hears differently.

One thing I pride myself on is achieving flat response. My own speaker system is within 2dB across the entre spectrum measured in my own room, and I compare what I hear on my speaker system to my headphones to determine if they are truly flat. The TF10 comes very close to what I hear on my speakers. They are a bit recessing in the lower treble range but on a whole, there are no droops in the sound. As a comparison, listening to a Grado is like turning the upper knob of my PEQ slider almost all the way up.

Also I think people that think mids are scooped out are just used to listening to headphones Shures where the mids are the dominant spectral component. I have owned a couple of single armature Shures (e3 and e4) and they were all about the mids. Treble, and bass, not so much.

Lastly, with IEMs, every different earshape will cause widely different HTRF. So even a generally warm sounding Shure can sound bright to some.

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #37 of 186
To the OP: I will gladly buy them from you for $95 + shipping 
wink_face.gif

When I had them last year I didn't care for them and thought they didn't compare well with other IEMs with a similar MSRP.  The mids were very sucked out, but the treble was borderline sibilant with good detail.  

If I had them again I would get them reshelled into a custom, as that supposedly helps them quite a bit in the areas I found them lacking..i.e. deep bass and recessed mids.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #38 of 186
I just received my pair from the sale a couple days ago also. I don't agree with the V-shape analysis at all. My impressions are similar to the OP. The majority opinion that these are great on the low-end, smooth highs, and slightly recessed midrange describe my Denon D2000 which gives me an eargasm everytime I listen to them. It's more like a    \____ than a V curve IMO. I know I am comparing apples and oranges, but I would think the retail price on these would make them give my D2000 a run for their money, but it's not even close.

My Ultimate Ears 700 which I just shipped off has more clarity than these 10's, but I also know they are indeed on the brighter side of the UE line. I know the difference between having clarity and being bright though. IDK, maybe someone with a tried pair of Triple.fi 10's that's local to me ( 92346 ) want to compare.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #39 of 186
I'm not a fan of the fit on these either. I can get them to stay in using the medium size tips, but they still don't feel as comfortable and "right" as my old CX-300's. However, the sound on these is much better, although I can't really tell the difference between these and my SuperFi 5vis quite yet. I also go tthem from Amazon during the sale and can definitely live with the price from that day. With that said, I'd still rather use my SR80s when I'm at home.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #41 of 186
People say BAs don't burn in, but I have experienced changes in BA.  I experienced the most noticable BA changes with the SM3, but had other BAs (can't recall the model) that changed, as I could not hear high and low frequency test tones out of the box that I could hear after a few hours of burn in.  Could it be the cable?  

So, maybe try burning in the TF10 for a few days.  This is not meant to start a burn in war, but something to try; it will either make a difference or it won't.

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #42 of 186
 I purchased the Triple. Fi's through last years deal for 99$ or so. 

Since then I had to take three steps of changes to achieve a level where I pretty much can enjoy them when I need to.

1. Removing the stock cable, throwing it as far as away as possible, hoping never to see it again...  Then replacing it with a silver cable that fitwise gives me a more comfortable experience.

2. Using the Meelectronics "balanced double flangers" because they gave me the best fit compared to at least hundreds of different of tips.

3.  Amping it with a relative transparent amp like the Headsix that doesn't boost the the lower frequencies, just my choice.

4. Using the Triple's primarily listening to tracks/albums where I experience they perform at their best.

I can't say which of these single factors was the most responsible to improve my experience, but it did result in a better overall balance, meaning less recessed mids and so much more comfortable to wear.   

Regarding the UE700. I have a pair of these as well, very decent, certainly more V/U shaped in signature with sibilance added if not used with the right tips, and IMO nowhere near the triple's performance.

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #43 of 186

Quote:
I just received my pair from the sale a couple days ago also. I don't agree with the V-shape analysis at all. My impressions are similar to the OP. The majority opinion that these are great on the low-end, smooth highs, and slightly recessed midrange describe my Denon D2000 which gives me an eargasm everytime I listen to them. It's more like a    \____ than a V curve IMO. I know I am comparing apples and oranges, but I would think the retail price on these would make them give my D2000 a run for their money, but it's not even close.

My Ultimate Ears 700 which I just shipped off has more clarity than these 10's, but I also know they are indeed on the brighter side of the UE line. I know the difference between having clarity and being bright though. IDK, maybe someone with a tried pair of Triple.fi 10's that's local to me ( 92346 ) want to compare.

I own both the TF10's and UE700s.
I will agree that the UE700's do sound brighter, with more emphasis on the higher end. I definitely digged it's sound signature, I'm one of those who actually enjoy the V curve. Upon listening with the TF10's I'll say that the sound had a lot more body, in essence "fuller". 
The TF10's still seem detailed and transparent, and with more body at that. The lower end definitely kicks harder than the UE700's and the mids sound a lot more forward.
In the end though, I'd have to say that the TF10's provide a wonderful listening experience, though I wouldn't have a problem choosing either of the two. They both perform fantastically.

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #44 of 186
And I found out what my problem is, the fitting of the original tips hate my ears, including the complies which are a size too large........

The complies gave me a GREAT seal, but I guess my ear canal are not big enough for the opening of complies to fully expand. This resulted in an over-emphasized bass reponse and killing the high frequency and muffling the midrange. I have a couple pairs of Koss KE29Rs that had tips fitting my triple.fi 10's but A LOT softer and comfortable than the original ones.

They sound a lot better now, the highs are finally there with cleaner and powerful bass to boot. Whew.

These don't hold a seal very long though because they are much shorter in length, now I gotta go tips researching and shopping for something more permanent.

Quote:

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #45 of 186

Quote:
 I purchased the Triple. Fi's through last years deal for 99$ or so. 

Since then I had to take three steps of changes to achieve a level where I pretty much can enjoy them when I need to.

1. Removing the stock cable, throwing it as far as away as possible, hoping never to see it again...  Then replacing it with a silver cable that fitwise gives me a more comfortable experience.

2. Using the Meelectronics "balanced double flangers" because they gave me the best fit compared to at least hundreds of different of tips.

3.  Amping it with a relative transparent amp like the Headsix that doesn't boost the the lower frequencies, just my choice.

4. Using the Triple's primarily listening to tracks/albums where I experience they perform at their best.

I can't say which of these single factors was the most responsible to improve my experience, but it did result in a better overall balance, meaning less recessed mids and so much more comfortable to wear.   

Regarding the UE700. I have a pair of these as well, very decent, certainly more V/U shaped in signature with sibilance added if not used with the right tips, and IMO nowhere near the triple's performance.

Curious what cable you are using? Is it a Jaben cable or the Westone ES2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back