Triple Fi 10 - Is this a joke?
Dec 2, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #62 of 186

how do you fit the dbas tips on there?
Quote:
I got mine two days ago and I really love the way they sound.  The stock tips that they came with were okay but didn't give me the best seal.  I am using some tips from the DBA-02 and they are more comfortable and sound awesome.  TripleFi's respond well to EQ so I suggest that, like many others have.  I have heard many different kinds of IEMs and these are definitely my favorite, by far. 

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #63 of 186
Yes, even over the DBAs.  I love the detail of the DBA but I need a bit more bass and the TF10 give me that. 

Quote:
Over the DBAs?

It is pretty easy.  Just put one side on first and kind of hold it in place so that it doesn't move.  Then you can slide the other side on.  Fits well and is the most comfortable of all the tips I've used. 

Quote:
how do you fit the dbas tips on there?
Quote:
I got mine two days ago and I really love the way they sound.  The stock tips that they came with were okay but didn't give me the best seal.  I am using some tips from the DBA-02 and they are more comfortable and sound awesome.  TripleFi's respond well to EQ so I suggest that, like many others have.  I have heard many different kinds of IEMs and these are definitely my favorite, by far. 

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #65 of 186

Fit and seal makes a huge difference with a lot of IEM'S especially when i has my CK10 they were very picky with tips and seal. If your not getting a good seal with the TF10's they will sound terrible IMO, and of course if somethings defective then your not getting what you should be. Just my $0.02
Quote:
One of my friends has this and it sounds great when I heard them.. maybe its defective or would it not fitting correctly make that much of a difference?

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #66 of 186
So I'm listening to a borrowed set of TF10s.  No real big disappointment w/ sound like some have claimed for me.  I can see people making these their main IEM like they would the HJE900 or SM3 and whatnot.  Compared to my DBA's I'd say the TF10 has bigger bass, but not bigger than the SM3 from what I remember.  I have to say though, IMO to my ears the DBAs have better clarity, detail, treble, mids and get this...punchier bass w/ maybe more impact?  The TF10 also sounds rougher and more unrefined to my ears.  I'm using wide mouth single flangles, the Meelec biflanges pushed them too far out of my ears fit and sound wise for me.  I have to say I have noticed some weird anomalies never before heard anywhere.  On Rush's YYZ there was a weird extended decay after the guitar finished its last note on that movement.  It just kept playing and playing after it should have long ended.  With Steely Dan's opening guitar pluck and some subsequent notes on 'Nineteen' there is a weird artificial electronic noise that piggybacks the guitar pluck and lingers artificially.  I thought perhaps the TF10 wasn't playing nice w/ my Arrow's 10 ohm output impedance so I popped it into the 602 HO.  Same thing.  I'm not sure if there might be damage to this TF10's Xover, treble driver or if its a design flaw.  Listened to maybe 10 songs so far and noticed two or three weird sonic anomalies.  I'd put the TF10 on the same level of the HJE900 so far.  Better bass representation and better treble, mids about the same if not a touch more recessed than the 900.  The 900 is a more refined and coherent sound overall though IMO.  I think both belong in the $100-$150 bracket though that's more than I'd pay for the TF10 ($70 max personally).  I did expect more and better treble form the TF10 from reading TBH but its not missing by any means.  

I'm beginning to wonder.  Do all UE universals sound like this?  The rough, unrefined sound reminds me of the Grado SR60/80.  Not talking about FR here.  I think I might be done w/ these sooner than I thought but I'll give them one more day to be sure.  I know the owner is quite eager.  Back to my DBA's to confirm I'm not having a 'bad hear day'.   

Edit - Oh yeah baby.  It's not my ears!

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #67 of 186
Hmm, I've owned SR80s for 11 years, and they sound plenty refined, I guess by my definition of refined (which admittedly may be unrefined). With the black tape mod and a recable, they sound very nice esp when amped, probably as good as any universals I have owned. But interesting feedback on the TF10s. I will have to try and borrow some to listen to them, though the JH5s are really the only IEMs I want in my ears these days. I can't even bring myself to use any backup universals any more. Maybe UE/Logitech should reduce the price to $99 permanently, esp since the TF10s are now ancient by triple driver universal standards.

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #68 of 186
It's been too long since I had the TF10 to have much to say on their sound but I can agree that I can see people liking it enough to be their only earphone like many other earphones. Actually I could say that about my M2 which is much more mature than it's price suggests but I digress..I do remember that the TF10 was a bit warm for me due to a slight mid bass emphasis which is where the warmth comes from so it won't have the best clarity and the DBA-02 has great clarity. When I had the CK10 and the TF10 together I found that they could go well together with the TF10 being the more fun and colored pair while the CK10 would be the more neutral one. The TF10 does have a big bass with a good amount of impact although I do remember them having much more impact than the DBA-02 but it's been a long time but that does surprise me.

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #69 of 186
Impact is probably a poor word if one associates moving volumes of air which the TF10 does do better but the DBAs are definitely more punchy.  Listeing to Neil Peart on drums I notice the TF10 doesn't pop as hard on those Toms.  The TF10 reminds me of a lower level SM3 w/ a touch more treble and mid recession.

Btw, I've never heard a black tape modded, recabled SR80 so perhaps.  After hearing the 225 and RS1 I said goodbye to the 60/80/MS1.  The 225 and RS1 were much more refined IMO.  

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #70 of 186
$200 and $700 headphones more refined than those that float around $100 give or take a couple is something I'd hope would be true :p

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #71 of 186

Same feelings here on the TF10 and Sm3 comparison. The soundstage and imaging on the Sm3 just blows the TF10 away though IMO. I feel the Sm3 is what the TF10 could have been. I do feel the Sm3 does trump the TF10 in all aspects. JMO though.
Quote:
Impact is probably a poor word if one associates moving volumes of air which the TF10 does do better but the DBAs are definitely more punchy.  The TF10 reminds me of a lower level SM3 w/ a touch more treble and mid recession.

Btw, I've never heard a black tape modded, recabled SR80 so perhaps.  After hearing the 225 and RS1 I said goodbye to the 60/80/MS1.  The 225 and RS1 were much more refined IMO.  

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #72 of 186

Quote:
Same feelings here on the TF10 and Sm3 comparison. The soundstage and imaging on the Sm3 just blows the TF10 away though IMO. I feel the Sm3 is what the TF10 could have been. I do feel the Sm3 does trump the TF10 in all aspects. JMO though.
Quote:
Impact is probably a poor word if one associates moving volumes of air which the TF10 does do better but the DBAs are definitely more punchy.  The TF10 reminds me of a lower level SM3 w/ a touch more treble and mid recession.

It does w/ perhaps the exception of treble.  I never got the treble of the SM3 to match the extension of the TF10.  The SM3 has nothing to worry about from the TF10 IMO.  

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #73 of 186

Quote:
$200 and $700 headphones more refined than those that float around $100 give or take a couple is something I'd hope would be true :p

Well, huge point of contention in the Grado modding circles there.  Long story.  
wink_face.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #74 of 186
My TF10s came today, so I've been only listening for a couple of hours. Very bassy compared to my other iems. I was worried about the mids, given what I had been reading, worried that they wouldn't good for vocals and classical. But I put them through the soprano trio on Der Rosenkavalier and they came through like champs. I want to spend some time listening to jazz and orchestral music with them, but right now I think they could be my favorites for R&B, hip-hop, and rock.

Right off the bat, they've got the most amazing detail and a much wider soundstage than the etys and RE0 I'm used to.

I have smallish ears and seem to have gotten a good fit with the complys. I'm still working out the angle for the right ear.

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #75 of 186

Agreed on the treble. I have read about the mod on the Sm3 to get more treble extension and better details so i tried it and it was to sibilant and harsh so i tried another non reversible technique. i had taken a very small needle and put a micro sized hole in the middle of the little plastic/paper? filter that sits inside the silver housing and it made a nice improvement on the treble extension with out losing all the bass and gain the harshness and sibilants from doing the removal mod. I took a gamble and i feel it paid off nicely. I didn't share this mod attempt because its irreversible and did not want anyone mad at me if they did not like the results. I'm sure earsonics sells replacement dampeners if needed to reverse the process, but would result in being a pain in the arse waiting for the replacements to come in the mail and having your rig sit in the mean time. If you feel like taking a gamble give it a shot but don't shoot me if its not what you were looking for.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It does w/ perhaps the exception of treble.  I never got the treble of the SM3 to match the extension of the TF10.  The SM3 has nothing to worry about from the TF10 IMO.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back