Triple Fi 10 - Is this a joke?
Dec 3, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #76 of 186
Well, I finally figured it out.  I was under the impression that I'd gotten the fit situation resolved, but I could not have been more wrong.  Tonight I tried pushing the phones into my ears and wiggling them slowly.  I found that in one exact position, the seal completed and the SQ increased astronomically.  I still like the sound better with the treble boost EQ, but it was a matter of night and day.  Comparative listening, or even analytical listening is quite difficult when constant pressure and precise positioning are required to produce excellent SQ.  None the less, it is clearly there.

The conclusion I've come to is that I have tiny ear canals, and these massive monitors just don't fit.  I tried 9 different styles of tips (5 that came with the triple fi and 4 that came with the vmoda).  I found that all but the smallest vmoda tip worked its way out of my ear the instant I stopped holding it in.  The smallest size simply wouldn't seal.  I went ahead and ordered some of the alternative tips people recommend in this thread.  I have my doubts, but I'm hoping one of them will get me rolling here.  If not, its time to put in a serious listening session and decide if these are worth custom shelling.

Thanks for the input everyone, I KNEW something just wasn't right here.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #77 of 186

Quote:
Well, I finally figured it out.  I was under the impression that I'd gotten the fit situation resolved, but I could not have been more wrong.  Tonight I tried pushing the phones into my ears and wiggling them slowly.  I found that in one exact position, the seal completed and the SQ increased astronomically.  I still like the sound better with the treble boost EQ, but it was a matter of night and day.  Comparative listening, or even analytical listening is quite difficult when constant pressure and precise positioning are required to produce excellent SQ.  None the less, it is clearly there.

The conclusion I've come to is that I have tiny ear canals, and these massive monitors just don't fit.  I tried 9 different styles of tips (5 that came with the triple fi and 4 that came with the vmoda).  I found that all but the smallest vmoda tip worked its way out of my ear the instant I stopped holding it in.  The smallest size simply wouldn't seal.  I went ahead and ordered some of the alternative tips people recommend in this thread.  I have my doubts, but I'm hoping one of them will get me rolling here.  If not, its time to put in a serious listening session and decide if these are worth custom shelling.

Glad you figured it out and are enjoying them now!
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #78 of 186
I will share a small bit of input:

I have been a head-fier for a few years now.  In my own adventures I have personally listened to most of the high end IEMs out there and have compared them back to back.  The Triple.Fi 10 has time and again proven its worth and gearing.  I do feel it is one of the better sounding packages out there with excellent realism and presentation yet some specific coloration that helps enhance certain traits.  There are few earphones that I would hold above the Triple.Fi 10 on the market, and this earphone is an insane deal given the online pricing of some of the oem/bulk packed items available.

The sound signature may not be what you'd expect.  Frankly stepping to any new earphone is a new experience, and things just sound off.  It's hard to understand how good something is unless you can directly stack it against many other products.  The capabilities and shortcomings show through better when compared to a broad spectrum of products.  The Triple.Fi 10 just ends up being remarkably good.  Is it the sound signature you want?  No, probably not.  Is it a better sound signature?  Maybe.  I'd suggest just spending some time with it and see if it grows on you.  Maybe you just want something different in the end, and that's fine.  Everyone has their own personal preferences.  The gearing of the Triple.Fi 10 does fit it into certain human markets.  It may simply be that you are not the market it was intended for.  That's why we have 100 different products with 100 different sound signatures. 

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #82 of 186

welQuote:

welcome to the wonderful world of IEM's.  enjoy your stay.

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #83 of 186
Have you tried wearing the phones in opposite ears? Left phone in right ear and right phone in left ear. They seem to seal and fit more comfortably that way for me. I have some friends with similar experiences. Worth a try! 

Dec 4, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #84 of 186
Double/triple flanges or Sony Hybrids will probably help too but the Hybrids may limit the highs a bit. If you try some multi flange tips, check for a wide tip opening to maintain the treble quantity. Surprising that you thought they had enough bass but not enough highs with a bad seal. Usually just the opposite. I've found that the UEs I've owned had a better perspective and balance when used as intended instead of flipped but tips and convenience will effect the overall interpretation.

Dec 4, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #85 of 186
Unique Melody, many people here have them done by UM. Honestly, for the price you got them at, i would not hesitate to send them in for remolding. After adding the remold cost, they should just about equal the MSRP of the TF10s only.

Quote:
Quote:
Have you tried pulling up on your ear when you insert your IEMs?
btw I love threads with arguments :D

Honestly, I tried everything short of drilling a hole in my skull.  I don't particularly mind getting the custom shelling done, I just worry about finding a service I can trust.

Dec 4, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #87 of 186
The flip-flop mod with these is mandatory, but it sounds like you tried that already. I like the foam that comes with those cheapy JVC marshmellows with these, or size small Comply's (they ship with medium or large).

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #90 of 186
if you have a blackberry phone, they usually comes with iem. use the gel tip from them. they fit really well with the triple.fi.  the only prob with them is that you can't find the tip by itself. if you want the tip, you ll have to shell out for the blackberry iem...
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back