Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 30, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #136 of 10,312
Does anyone know (in general) what are the differences sonically, in terms of the 3 cables on offer by Frank?

1) OCC Cyro Copper
2) OCC Cyro Silver-Plated Copper
3) OCC Cyro Silver

I am contemplating of buying one for my HD700. I like almost everything about it, except maybe the over-brightness of the trebles in some songs. I would prefer it to be just a tad darker.

Frank is not allowed to post his opinion because it is against MOT rules, so I can only ask you guys for general opinion on those cables. What are the general sonic difference between those?

Thanks in advance.

May 30, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #137 of 10,312
Quote:
Does anyone know (in general) what are the differences sonically, in terms of the 3 cables on offer by Frank?

1) OCC Cyro Copper
2) OCC Cyro Silver-Plated Copper
3) OCC Cyro Silver

I am contemplating of buying one for my HD700. I like almost everything about it, except maybe the over-brightness of the trebles in some songs. I would prefer it to be just a tad darker.

Frank is not allowed to post his opinion because it is against MOT rules, so I can only ask you guys for general opinion on those cables. What are the general sonic difference between those?

Thanks in advance.

Copper cabling generally will give a good bass impact depending on the headphone (and the quality of the copper), Silver plated copper ive never heard much difference between ordinary copper and silver plated copper. It is a little more expensive.

Silver gives a very pure signal, meaning it can be a very transparent sounding cable. Depending on the headphone you are using however it can slightly lower the bass impact.

This can be a good thing depending on your headphone. I found a silver cable with the Denon D7000 helped reduce the bass a little, to stop it 'booming' with some tracks. On the other hand, it can sometimes add a little sibilance if the headphone is naturally bright.

How do you find the HD700? is it lacking a little in transparency to your ears? is the bass impact weak? if you can get in your head the sound you are hearing and what you would like to improve, selecting the cable material can be a good way to slightly adjust the sound signature.

May 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #138 of 10,312
Quote:

Copper cabling generally will give a good bass impact depending on the headphone (and the quality of the copper), Silver plated copper ive never heard much difference between ordinary copper and silver plated copper. It is a little more expensive.

Silver gives a very pure signal, meaning it can be a very transparent sounding cable. Depending on the headphone you are using however it can slightly lower the bass impact.

This can be a good thing depending on your headphone. I found a silver cable with the Denon D7000 helped reduce the bass a little, to stop it 'booming' with some tracks. On the other hand, it can sometimes add a little sibilance if the headphone is naturally bright.

How do you find the HD700? is it lacking a little in transparency to your ears? is the bass impact weak? if you can get in your head the sound you are hearing and what you would like to improve, selecting the cable material can be a good way to slightly adjust the sound signature.

Transparency is fine with the HD700, of course it is not as revealing as the HD800, but I find it nice to listen to when I just want to sit back, enjoy and relax to the music. The HD800 is good, too, because it is just a different animal to the HD700.

The bass impact is fine as it is (but I don't mind it to be more, to be honest), but I often find the trebles to be slightly too bright in some tracks. I wonder if a silver-plated copper would tone that down by a bit?

Silver cable might not be the right choice here because from what I've heard, doesn't it make the sound even brighter? I'm not too sure on that though.

May 30, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #139 of 10,312
Quote:

Silver cable might not be the right choice here because from what I've heard, doesn't it make the sound even brighter? I'm not too sure on that though.

Yes, I would just go for a good high grade copper cable going on your post (I think you mixed up silver with copper when you said 'I wonder if a silver-plated copper would tone that down by a bit?'). Frank uses excellent quality copper so you will get a really pure signal with good bass response and it wont make the sound any 'brighter'. I use his copper on my modified Sony R10 and its excellent. I dont always find silver better and from what you said it might not suit your ears with the HD700.

May 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #140 of 10,312
Quote:
Yes, I would just go for a good high grade copper cable going on your post (I think you mixed up silver with copper when you said 'I wonder if a silver-plated copper would tone that down by a bit?'). Frank uses excellent quality copper so you will get a really pure signal with good bass response and it wont make the sound any 'brighter'. I use his copper on my modified Sony R10 and its excellent. I dont always find silver better and from what you said it might not suit your ears with the HD700.

I thought silver-plated copper is the same as copper, just that it is silver-plated?

And doesn't Frank include a nylon (or some sort) that wraps around the cable until the Y junction if it's silver-plated copper (it is still copper inside afterall)?

Or am I mistaken?

May 30, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #142 of 10,312
This is the silver LOD Frank kindly made for me recently.

The service was second to none with great communication throughout.

In terms of build quality, I have owned several LOD's and this one is built as well as any of them. I specifically wanted a mini Via Blue connector which has extended the overall length of my set up which is made up of :

Nano 16G
Pico Slim
UM Miracles

All my music has been uncompressed to drive out as much quality as possible.

I am sure there is still improvements to come from the LOD but I am delighted with the improvement to date, thanks Frank

Bass is tight and vocals clearer than I could imagine

May 31, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #146 of 10,312
I made a LOD of it. I used the 22 AWG stranded silver plated copper wire from frank, a.k.a. Toxic cables. Very nice cable. I also tried the ALO 22 AWG copper cryo and the ALO 24 AWG SXC. But Toxic Cables is what I prefer

May 31, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #147 of 10,312
great to hear. Frank is a pleasure to deal with. he sent me some speaker cable for my new Epos Elan 35 speakers http://www.epos-acoustics.com/products/elan-35/ (dont shoot me, I know this is a headphone forum!). I need to get time to set them up with my Leben CS300X. I just got some new amperex and mullard EL84's for it.

May 31, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #148 of 10,312
Quote:
I made a LOD of it. I used the 22 AWG stranded silver plated copper wire from frank, a.k.a. Toxic cables. Very nice cable. I also tried the ALO 22 AWG copper cryo and the ALO 24 AWG SXC. But Toxic Cables is what I prefer

Great job on the LOD, i was wondering which wire that was, when i saw the picture in the DIY gallery.

By the way, that wire is 24AWG, i currently do not stock 22AWG wire.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #149 of 10,312
You're totally right Frank. It's the 24AWG. I'm constantly confused about the AWG number, because AWG the AWG number increases and the inches decreases. Sorry for this misunderstanding.

Jun 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #150 of 10,312
After 100 hours of breaking in my [size=small]Toxic Silver Poison cable sounds fantastic with my HD800s. I have a Eximus DP1 DAC which i use as headamp. The cable is more detailed and smoother than the Cardas cable I had before. It is not bright at all. It pairs well with the musical sweetness of the Eximus.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back