Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 28, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #123 of 10,312
Frank, I just ordered your Sennheiser HD650 HD600 HD580 8ft Cryo Pure OCC Stranded Silver cable via Google and payed with Paypal. The receipt came through as HD800's. I have HD650's. Just making sure I get the right ones sent to the States! I am looking forward to receiving them. I have my collection ripped AIFF onto the Mac Mini via a Cambridge DAC Magic Plus or via Toslink to the Denon AVR-4311CI depending on what I want to do. I also listen to SACD/DVD-a via my Denon DVD-5900 with the Denon Link to the 4311. The 650's are nice, but I am looking forward to trying your mod.

Regards,

longbowbbs

May 28, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #124 of 10,312
Quote:
Frank, I just ordered your Sennheiser HD650 HD600 HD580 8ft Cryo Pure OCC Stranded Silver cable via Google and payed with Paypal. The receipt came through as HD800's. I have HD650's. Just making sure I get the right ones sent to the States! I am looking forward to receiving them. I have my collection ripped AIFF onto the Mac Mini via a Cambridge DAC Magic Plus or via Toslink to the Denon AVR-4311CI depending on what I want to do. I also listen to SACD/DVD-a via my Denon DVD-5900 with the Denon Link to the 4311. The 650's are nice, but I am looking forward to trying your mod.

Regards,

longbowbbs

Hi Eric, 

Seems you ordered a HD800 cable, i have replied to your PM, will need to refund you some money back. 
frown.gif
 lol.

May 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #125 of 10,312
Upgrades!! I sense upgrades!!!...:)

May 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #127 of 10,312
Cogsand Gears - that looks fantastic.

I have a few more thoughts to write down, but the review for the Viper will be up tomorrow. The review shots are done, take a gander.

May 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #129 of 10,312
Thought some of you may like to see the new 26awg trans blue insulated SPC that Frank has recently gotten in.

Just to be clear, this is a DIY effort, not a Toxic Cables produced one.

May 29, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #131 of 10,312
Quote:
Trying to make me look like an amateur with such a nicely made cable, are we, Luke.
biggrin.gif

Ha! I dont think so Frank, but thanks for the compliment.

Have you made any headphone cables with the blue SPC yet? I really like the look of it - very different.

May 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #133 of 10,312
My review of the Toxic Cables Viper for the Sennhesier HD650 can now be seen here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/612256/toxic-cables-viper-sennhesier-hd650-headphone-cable-affordable-hi-fi-review

May 30, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #134 of 10,312
Source: DCS Debussy DAC, Benchmark DAC1 USB (mainly the DCS for critical listening)
AMP: Bryston Headphone Amp (not sure of the model,some balanced one), Littldot MK 6+ (getting my liquid fire soon, should be in next week!)

These are the notes taken during out first joint listening session. Do note, this was not an ABX session, just a casual first listen with A-B tests. We will probably be meeting again soon to do a proper blindfolded A-B-X test as well as compare the new RC-4 more extensively with some other third party cables.

My (dercius) Impressions of the Toxic Cables Venom RC-4

LCD-3 (Versus stock cable)
more rounded bass (the difference is similar to how a speaker setup improves when you use better woofers or upgrade your subwoofer)
more accurate placement of instruments on several songs
slightly lusher/denser midrange
about equivalent clarity through the range, maybe a tiny bit more treble detail
better treble extension (slightly more sibilance though)

D(owner)'s impressions

More present treble. Seems to make the sound more balanced overall.
Slightest bit more resolution on certain songs. only noticed on vocals and guitars
deeper bass extension and better bass impact. (not huge difference but easily detectable improvement)
Much more enjoyable vocals for a select few songs (taylor swift and elvis costello)
Guitars and other stringed instruments had more bite and were more easily distinguishable

R's impressions

Not too much difference overall. The two cables do sound different just not hugely so
Overall sound sig still similar. 
Midrange is great on both cables. slight edge to the RC-4
Can't hear any difference on treble and bass
Vocals are certainly fuller for certain songs. Interesting
Very lifelike vocals (noticeably better than stock cable) on certain songs

Hope you guys enjoyed reading these first impressions. I liked the cable construction, reminded me of my speaker cables/interconnects. Liked the nice metal case it came in too. Very temped to pick one up now. Looking forward to seeing i go up against some other cables from ALO, DHC and Whiplash audio soon. Will probably decide what to get after that.

Peace out
Dercius

May 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #135 of 10,312
I needed a new CIEM cable as my previous cable broke and I was forced into using the stock cable that came with my Unique Melody reshells (SE530x6). When I ordered the reshells I asked UMUK to reterminate my Silver Galaxy cable (previously used with my IE8s) with UM plugs and had been using this instead of the stock cable. I tested the stock cable against the Silver Galaxy and found that the sound through the stock cable sounded muddy, ill defined and boring tbh. The silver Galaxy cable brought things to life by solidifying the bass and adding sparkle to the highs. Soundstage was also increased substantially.

However, as I said earlier the Silver Galaxy cable was not well made and the right ear plug broke. As I did not want to have anything else to do with UMUK I asked Frank if he was able to sell me a pure silver cable to use with my reshells.  He agreed to make me a pure silver cable terminated with plugs to fit UM recessed sockets and fitted with a right angle Oyaide Gold plated jack.

I received the OCC Pure Silver CIEM cable from Frank over the weekend. I understand that the cable is still burning in but Frank asked me to post my intial thoughts pre burn in. Firstly, the cable is extremely well made (like the pictures of the Shure CIEM cable show) and isn’t too stiff. I love the jack, so solid. Sound-wise the difference to the stock UM cable is unbelievable. Bass is now much more present (in a good way). I really like BA drivers and this cable definitely brings out the best in the low end drivers. Mids are really sweet and the highs realistic yet sparkly. Although these changes are relatively major the biggest difference I’ve noticed is the increase in soundstage in all three dimensions.  The DX100 plus SE530x6 with the Toxic cable produces for me the most spacious sound I have ever heard outside of a full size system.

Bearing in mind that my original Silver cable broke a couple of weeks ago and I had been using the stock cable with my DX100 for the last couple of weeks any comparison to the Silver Galaxy is from memory. Although the sound of these 2 cables is similar the Toxic cable is in a whole different league. All the positives mentioned above were present in the Galaxy but they were much incrementally smaller improvements on the stock cable and all in all not as satisfying the improvents from the Toxic cable.

Having listened to the UM Miracle demo set side by side my Shure reshells, I had decided to save up for the Miracles as although the reshells sounded good, the Miracles were a little bit better in every area.  With this cable I do not currently feel the need to upgrade for quite some time as the reshells sound amazingly dynamic and musical.

To summarise, I am really happy with my purchase and appreciative of the level of customer service I received from Frank.

If there are any significant changes after burn in, I will post back. The sound does keep getting better and better but this probably also due to my DX100 hitting the 200hr sweet spot (see DX100 threads).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back