Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 24, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #7,292 of 10,312
hi frank check the PM please ^^

Oct 25, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #7,293 of 10,312
I think this could be franks favorite drink, thats why he is so active all night long :D

Ps...tomorrow i will finish my comparision between my BW and my copper VENOM: . :Dthats good news for a certain person here.

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #7,294 of 10,312
:atsmile:

Oct 26, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #7,296 of 10,312
Is there any cable left to make another Venom? Hoping for an 8 footer.*Patiently awaits pm response*

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #7,297 of 10,312
Frank, just a heads up,

I've send you 3 pm's mate, the first related to my original orders....
The second is two new projects.
And the other is a link to something that may be of interest to you!

Speak to you soon, all my best, Paul :)

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #7,298 of 10,312
Just got my new cable in...wow...made some pics with my ipad..so pls bare with me on that :wink: i went straight to listening...and didnt stop..better pics will come later :D

Ps..keep ur children away..on one pic u will see a very offensive pic with some dude with huge headphones on his head with a huge smile :wink:

I promised to do a first impressions/comparision between both cables...and i said i would do that deadly honest and in my way..so frank..take notes.. :veryevil:
..sooo here it goes.

First impressions between my custom bw and this custom venom:

Usage:
Weird..but it was very hard to push the xlr connectors into my amp...and i mean HARD..at a certain moment i thought i had the wrong pins on the cable..I even checked if the pins where the same as on my bw..it was..but after a few minutes trying and some careful forcefull pushing i got them in..(my bw went in very easily, tried it just to make sure) .very flush..will be fun when i ever need to disconnect them :wink:
The venom for sure is far more rigid and less flexible cable..it doesnt 'hug' the floor as the bw does..it holds on to its own 'form'... I have to get used to that..i had same thing in past when i had some higher end huge AWG speaker cables...so nothing to worry about..unless u want a 8wire copper venom for ur iem...i wouldnt advice it..better go for the regular RC4. Imho
Another surprising thing...the new venom is MUCH lighter then my bw!!! I am guessin it has to do with the sleeving...my bw uses very heavy graded classy looking and soft feeling high quality nylon..but still very flexible! Silk must be much lighter...as all connectors are same on both sides as far i can see..
But that color..dudes..that red color!!! Check it out urself..even with bad photographing...ashtonishing while connected to my black mirror front of my amp...

Oops have to go for a while...i will continiu when i return....see ya then...in meanwhile i keep my rig playing on high level volume to get as much burn in into my cable...as until now i dont hear lots of difference between my beloved BW! Only bass has more flesh to the bones in the lowest octaves...But hey..my BW sounds unbelievable good...so the venom has to step up if he will better that..but i have faith..as frank made both cables...and he is the best...period! :cool:

Am back..for a short while: lets continiu..

Oh yeah..usage....i just out them on again...musical bliss..much better then when i just got it!.. Oops usage..

Well...the connectors going into the headphone are very long...people with short necks could have problems with that! U can see it on the pics..my neck is not short luckily..but still it almost touches my shoulder..no biggie..but still...on the other hand..its just a minor setback if u consider that these connectors for sure wont let u break ur cable as u have with those cheap plastic standard cheap looking hifiman connectors..and its real carbon what u see on pics..looks so classy!!!

For the rest...nothing to report...job well done frank..cable looks very durable, classy, high end quality (i checked the braiding carefully..NOT ONE is out of line!!) and looks very sexy!

Okay then..now the more important part..the sound...or better said..is,there a sounddifference between those two cables? In one word..yes!

Although its not day and night (new cable is still new) u can hear differences on the extreme sides of the audio spectrum...bass is more fleshy (and me thinkin my BW was as natural sounding as cablewise possible..but bass on venom is a notch better in that)..treble is a but more relaxed...i get a feeling the BW sounds a bit more agressive then the venom..treble wise..the Venom is a bit more balanced..but whats hit me the most (little hit..lolz) was the air between the instruments...cant explain how to say that better in english...breathing? U can actually sometimes 'hear' the silence (passion?)...the BW did a good job in that (better then any other cable i heard on my hifiman phones) but the venom is for sure one notch higher.

For the rest they come very close to each other soundwise...PLS dont forget that the BW i have is probably his best BW (and as far i understand, only one in this way)he ever made until now for a hifiman headphone..so the Venom has to be very good to improve that...

and pls bare in mind that the regular 22awg single ended 4wire BW, although the best sounding cable for its price imho (i had one in the past...wonderful also!), is not the same cable as the one i am using to compare to the new Venom.

Will let the cable burn in longer..but until now...very positive!!

Will update in a week or so...my experience tells me that cables need around 100hrs burn in time..so with 5hrs usage a day its 4weeks total... :wink:

UPDATE AFTER 100hrs burn-in time

as promised, the continuation of my comparison between my BW and my new Copper Venom:

as i said...the feel and looks of the new cable is in a higher league then the already skyhigh luxurious look of my custom BW.
and i already mentioned some charactistics in usage between the two cables in my earlier post...
and after 100hrs burn in time this is what i have to add

usage:

my Copper Venom (with the red french silk) is very sensitive to microphobics..i really have to keep my head still or else my headphone sounds like as if my (real) wooden code-x is made of cheap plastics...but am sure its all because of the thin silk sleeve...but as i always listen to music in my comfy chair with the back almost all horizental so my head is still..i dont have problems with that...but on this point the nylon sleeving of my BW is far more superior in microphobics.better said: microphobics is non-existent on my BW!

but as i said..i dont have problems with that as i dont move my head a lot....but for others (iem) with cables that rub a lot to ur clothes i wouldnt advice this sleeving..i would advice to go on the very luxerious looking and feeling nylon i have on my custom BW.

NOW for the more important part...the sound:

well..to be short...the venom is a league higher on the lower and higher frequencies compared to the BW..

let me explain further:

first of all the soundsignature i was after:

I want natural, powerful, organic and balanced sound. with Smooth and dynamic highs with minimum roll off and controlled punchy lows. True to source, realistic, precise imaging and a holographic sound stage (my planar being the bottleneck in this ofcourse!). By balanced and realistic I mean music to be right-proportioned and show a true picture of the performance (I so hate to hear a small ensemble being portrait like an orchestra, or a small jazz club gig to sound like a huge concert in an open stadium). The BW did this perfectly...UP until now...the Venom does something special...something extra..

To kill all the doubts about the qualities of my new copper Venom in the butt:

In short: Its Key qualities are: powerful, life, airiness, detail, energy, clarity, organic, presence, soundstage and dynamics. Although the BW did nothing wrong and excelled in all areas i now know it was missing something - the something that all Venoms have i understand and my copper venom has it in spades:..its like an open window into the music ur listening..

Now that the Venom has had a break-in time for around 100hrs, so i can go in deeper into the differences between my BW and my new Venom.

sooo here it goes...

In use, the first thing to jump out was the bass performance of the Venom compared to the BW, which already was excellent with my BW, it is as if it has unlimited bass to its proposal. Another thing thats hit me in the face like an atomic bomb was the sweet treble. While stopping far short of the bright zone, the top end performance of the venom is open and extended.

The frequency just below this, the mid and upper midrange, was shown to excellent effect listening to what I think is the best recording i ever heard from Freddy Mercury, it was with Montserat Caballe, especially 'the fallen priest' and 'rachmanov's revenge', sang live in Barcelona. When i was listening to this recordings through this rig and the Venom, the nuance in Freddy's voice when listening through the 'PaG' and my Venom was uncomparable to anything I have heard until now headphone/cable wise or otherwise...it sounded so real..so full!.especially when the two voices were changing octaves from low and then higher, while a full orchestra was playing behind them with full force sometimes...unbelievable..i now wish i was there when they actually had that concert back then..ur whole head was filled with music! the BW was a bit more agressive, less balanced..more in your face cable...as i said before...if i didnt know better that BW would still be my reference..even after hearing lots of cables already...

and now my biggest surprise...i already was stunned by how my PaG and my BW played this..but the Venom went one step further....

The next three octaves down the scale, from mid-bass to the lower midrange, were vibrant and lively in character. For example, the woody resonance and the harder hits on the piano, the faster smaller drums, the cellos and bigger violins on the soundtrack of 'Beowulf', the deep bass (huge drums) that kick in without a warning hits u like a tornado...so deep and powerfull, but still so in control and lightling fast following the changes in speed perfectly..and while the drums are rumbling the higher pitched violins are shown in (to my ears) the right way without any sweat, just right on the other lower side of the orchestra while the drums are on the other side more in the middle...perfectly placed..no smearing at all...and thats where the venom takes the lead from the BW i have...

But i have to be honest here.. I was really surprised at how well my venom portraited the fundamentals of that deep bass...even knowing how good the BW does that already.

Staging (positioning of instruments etc) with the 'BW' was exceptional, the venom was just a smidge better...u have to listen well to hear differences.

Dynamically
The small harmonic and pitch changes of complex acoustic passages like i stated in 'Beowulf' were done nicely and in a very believable way with both cables, only the venom goes deeper and hits harder...and gives that warmth..or some say "air" to the music...the BW is more a straight true cable...doing all the things well...and now i know that cable is almost unbeatable for the price it goes! as i now compared it to a cable much much more expensive!

Comparing in short:
I can be short with this..

In general the BW is more in your face cable...sound is closer to u..., while the Venom is more laidback and much more dynamic with music further in front of u with larger soundstage (a bit..not much) . Which would be better for you is a personal decision. Both are very capable cables in design and in performance, either one is in its own price catagory a winner in my book..

and now something also very important...!!!!

Value for the Money -

for the BW: even my custom 8 wire version dual mono balanced cable, unbeatable!!! u wont find any other cable for this price with this kind of performance and this quality of built and luxury looks..period...if i had to give it a rate from 1 til 10 i would give it a 12!! if u need a good cable for an affordable price..then its a nobrainer for me...the BW! whether in 4wire 22awg, 8wire or any other 'frankenstein' version the devious mind of toxic cables pumps out for us.

The Copper Venom RC8 (my custom 8wire version)
i really dont know..yes its very expensive for a headphone cable(even for me)..but OMG the built quality, the stunning looks, the music experience it gives u in return... for me its a total 10...but for most of u guys on a certain budget maybe a 7minus...or maybe better to get the BW who does everything well also! BUt if u want the very best a copper cable can give u....copper venom, whether in RC4 or my RC8 version...and go for a balanced version if u buy any of those two...the bass and sooundstage improves a lot compared to their single ended (BW) siblings...i had a single ended BW 4wire 22awg..so i know what i am talking about :)

okay..now u have it...as promised..my comparision....the naked truth..the venom is TOTL..but is not for everyone..u have to treat it very carefully..the BW is a cable u can tie ur girlfriend/boyfriend up with and it still would be in one piece and would sound the same afterwards...hehehe

both are topcables....and both a winner in their respective price range..their DIRECT priced competitors will struggle extremely to compete with them at the price they go for! well done frank!!

and now i go back to my SACD rip of Innuendo from Queen...yummy!!!!!!!! see ya later my dear toxic friends and soon to be toxicans who read this

oh wait...many now maybe ask themselves what headphone the venom or BW would be good for...well....as long u dont use a headphone who is as warm as a hd650 (as example) or the lcd 2.2 they pair to almost any headphone...for those kind of headphones it could maybe be better to get a silver based toxic cable...like the silver widow or the silver venom...both also very capable cables also...although more expensive compared to their supperb performing copper siblings..I PREFER COPPER OVER SILVER PERSONALLY sound character wise for my headphones..gives more flesh to the bones compared to silver, but as always its a very personal decision what kind of cable (or wire inside it) to get for ur beloved headphone...no matter the price range.....any quality headphone improves if u use the right cable for it...imho ofcourse!

Just an edit on this review/comparision...something thats on my mind and heart lately.....

Until now i didnt mention performance-price ratio..but i think its very important for most of us interested in buying a cable for ur beloved headphone.

But i have to state something thats almost a unique selling point for toxic cables.

.if u check the prices of their products and how they perform and then compare it to some of their competitors i almost faint of the huge difference in price in favor of toxic cables..its sometimes not even funny how huge the difference is for comparable (builtwise) cables between toxic cables and some competitors..this only shows that frank (owner of toxic cables) has his customers on first place instead of making the biggest profit out of his cables...

Good example is toxic latest creation that i am lucky enough to have on loan (with two others) to also compare it to my copper venom, (only because i really dont like silver cable and they wanna prove a point..lolz) the price is under 400gbp for the new silver widow 22awg, a stranded litz silver cable with some gold infused into it and then i see a certain competitor introducing same kind of cable but thinner then this and without gold (and so easier to make) for double the price....how..why..WT..oops

this only strenghtes my loyalty to toxic cables for headphone cables as i do for certain other brands for other quality audio products i own...all have the customer on first place above making money and thats why they do so well, even that they price their products reasonable....

they play it honest and fair...and for me they (toxic cables and Blue Circle Audio) are examples how a company has to act towards customers....they price right, they listen to customers, they go at huge lenghts to make all whats possible if the client requires that..but above all....CUSTOMER SATISFACTION above all is on top of their list!!! .well done guys..my ears salute u!!!!! :wink:

And this all again shows that a good cable doesnt need to cost a fortune guys and girls..peace to ya all :p

And just to be clear..i do have to return this loaner..its a single ended cable anyway..so i cant use it for extensive listening periods...my amp best sound comes from its dual xlr output...thats what my mighty copper venom has:) single ended output is just for testing purposes..now thats smart thinking of gilbert from blue circle audio right? He knew people would try out my amp with their own headphones as some maybe wouldnt believe the amp was as good as it sounded through my code-x.....hehehehe and he did that for free..no extra charge for that extra single output.... Once again an example of putting ur customer first...

BC and toxic caught me and wont let me go for a long time...oh..almost forgot Luis Flores who made my unique black
code-x...a phone u have to hear to believe it on my PaG.. :wink:

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #7,299 of 10,312
Very nice comparisons, Paulo! :)

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #7,300 of 10,312
Your impression of the Copper Venom mirrors my experience.

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #7,302 of 10,312
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone have the toxic cable pair with the Noble Audio K10? How does it sound as compared to the stock Magnus cable, I am getting my K10 soon and would love to have it pair with the best possible setup.

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #7,303 of 10,312
  what's the best cable for lcd 3 fazor ?

IMO the Silver Widow, that is an excellent cable for the LCD series.

@ Hifimanrookie:  Great review, can't really disagree with much....I don't experience the microphonics you're talking about though with my copper venom with the HD800 but that could very well be the sleeving Frank used for me....I have that rubbing up on my shirt while I'm on my recliner.

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #7,304 of 10,312
IMO the Silver Widow, that is an excellent cable for the LCD series.

@ Hifimanrookie:  Great review, can't really disagree with much....I don't experience the microphonics you're talking about though with my copper venom with the HD800 but that could very well be the sleeving Frank used for me....I have that rubbing up on my shirt while I'm on my recliner.

Thanks my friend..but..
Thats weird..i domt have any rubbing microphobics on my venom..only that weird plasticky sound through my headphone...ticking on cable doesnt do anything...i think its maybe to do with the way my full woody code-x is modified. Maybe its hollow inside, as the venom SHOWS ALL in the signal, so it maybe amplifies whats inside my headphone? Who knows....but what those two components do is giving me musical bliss...as if they were made for each other :p so that eeny weeny interference i gladly take for granted... :wink:

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #7,305 of 10,312
  Hey guys, was wondering if anyone have the toxic cable pair with the Noble Audio K10? How does it sound as compared to the stock Magnus cable, I am getting my K10 soon and would love to have it pair with the best possible setup.

hey...maybe Kiats can help you? he is the one with more iems then i ever could imagine anyone would own
biggrin.gif

hey Kiats..can u maybe help this fellow future toxican?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back