Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 30, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #7,321 of 10,312
That's for Fitear IEMs. The Venom brings with it a deep and rich tone and deep textured soundstage. Guan22 described the sound as "majestic". I am pleased about the deep tone and soundstage. I expect it will be a wider soundstage as it burns in.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's wonderful to hear. 
smily_headphones1.gif

How does it match up with the Uber Cable, btw? :)

Oct 30, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #7,322 of 10,312
My friends, the Silver Venom has landed!

Nice kiats!! And now the other black beauty have to arrive huh? And then ur a happy lucky basterd. :D

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #7,323 of 10,312
Thanks, I was actually leaning towards the SW but on the basis of your comment below (SW changing sound signature) I am now favoring the Virus.

Hey Noel,

This is a counter-point to my opinion from one of my friends who own a SE846 as well. I think it really depends on what you are after. After my experience I am convinced that the Silver Widow isn't right for me and if I ever think that I might need it, I just need a different iem. I have found the Virus to be perfect for two completely different IEMs that I own so I am pretty much a Virus fanboy. 

My friend's opinion though is different. This is what he said when I asked him on your behalf. Bear in mind though that he does NOT own a hybrid cable like the Virus. Only a pure copper and pure silver. 

--------------------------------------------

Initial Response
The pure silver is cleaner and smoother than the stock cable so it's less fatiguing despite having slightly more treble and detail. It makes a perfect pairing with the 'neutral' blue filters on the 8s. I'm personally going for copper with the white filters because I love their clarity, but want to pull back the edge a little. Copper with the blue filters might get too smooth though.

Later that day...
I just tried the blue filters with the silver cable again and it's perfect. That's what your friend should go for I reckon. A hybrid might bring a touch more body, but I don't think it needs it.

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #7,324 of 10,312
That's wonderful to hear. :)

How does it match up with the Uber Cable, btw? :)

Hmm... Initial impressions are that the Venom has more weight while the Uber is more dynamic and has more sparkly treble. The other thing to note is that the Venom is heavier and thicker. In that sense, it may be more challenging to use in the go. But both different creatures and both are absolutely at the pinnacle of IEM cables.

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #7,325 of 10,312
Oct 30, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #7,326 of 10,312
Many thanks to Kiat for allowing me the pleasure of spending 2 hours of my night with the Silver Venom.
Wun say much due to MoT status, but this cable really opened my ears.

Once again, thanks!

Any time, Joe! :)

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #7,327 of 10,312
It sounds like it can go either way between SW and Virus. I wonder if your friend below was trying his 846 with silver and copper Toxic cables, or some other brand.

Quote:
  --------------------------------------------

Initial Response
The pure silver is cleaner and smoother than the stock cable so it's less fatiguing despite having slightly more treble and detail. It makes a perfect pairing with the 'neutral' blue filters on the 8s. I'm personally going for copper with the white filters because I love their clarity, but want to pull back the edge a little. Copper with the blue filters might get too smooth though.

Later that day...
I just tried the blue filters with the silver cable again and it's perfect. That's what your friend should go for I reckon. A hybrid might bring a touch more body, but I don't think it needs it.

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #7,328 of 10,312

Why not go for the cable which improves almost all headphones or iems, except for the most warm sounding cans/iems...the Black Widow 22awg...????? Thats by far ur safest bet for almost any headphone or iem.

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #7,329 of 10,312
Ted's silver cable and I think double helix copper. 

One thing he does have in common with me is that we both dislike SPC. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #7,330 of 10,312
If the stock 846 cable was pure copper it would have been an easy pick for me to go with the Virus, as the only issue I wish to resolve with the Hugo-846 pairing is the overly smooth HF, and knowing copper is generally mellow, the hybrid Virus should do the trick of livening things up while maintaining overall sound signature. The problem is the stock 846 cable is SPC. The copper BW I think would go in the wrong sonic direction.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #7,331 of 10,312
If the stock 846 cable was pure copper it would have been an easy pick for me to go with the Virus, as the only issue I wish to resolve with the Hugo-846 pairing is the overly smooth HF, and knowing copper is generally mellow, the hybrid Virus should do the trick of livening things up while maintaining overall sound signature. The problem is the stock 846 cable is SPC. The copper BW I think would go in the wrong sonic direction.

My friend..i swear on the BW if u dont have the budget to get the venom...ask Kiats..or any other who has more cables of toxic....almost all agree with me...the most general fitting cable is the BW..i swear on that cable..and used it on my higher end rig...its franks best performance per buck cable frank has....i had other brands..but before i had my new venom the BW i had beat all cables handsdown..even more expensive ones...and whats so good on the BW..ITS NOT MELLOW WARM SOUNDING AS ALL OTHER PURE COPPER CABLES... Its treble is sweet and extended..but its the organic midrange and bass that hits u in the face..or should i say ur ears? And best of all...its one of his more affordable cables also...a winner in my book! I truly enjoyed it in the 2 years i had them..first a 4wire and then my 8wire custom...with all the headphones i had in that time...he300/400/500 and now my rare code-x...with all they gave it flesh and body..but didnt forget to give a sweet treble as well....excellent for very long listening sessions, no listening fatique at all..something that can occur with some silver based cables, who tend to accentuate the details and treble..and so overflowing u ears and head with to much info at once...but ofcourse its all personal... :wink:

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #7,332 of 10,312
My friend..i swear on the BW if u dont have the budget to get the venom...ask Kiats..or any other who has more cables of toxic....almost all agree with me...the most general fitting cable is the BW..i swear on that cable..and used it on my higher end rig...its franks best performance per buck cable frank has....i had other brands..but before i had my new venom the BW i had beat all cables handsdown..even more expensive ones...and whats so good on the BW..ITS NOT MELLOW WARM SOUNDING AS ALL OTHER PURE COPPER CABLES... Its treble is sweet and extended..but its the organic midrange and bass that hits u in the face..or should i say ur ears? And best of all...its one of his more affordable cables also...a winner in my book! I truly enjoyed it in the 2 years i had them..first a 4wire and then my 8wire custom...with all the headphones i had in that time...he300/400/500 and now my rare code-x...with all they gave it flesh and body..but didnt forget to give a sweet treble as well....excellent for very long listening sessions, no listening fatique at all..something that can occur with some silver based cables, who tend to accentuate the details and treble..and so overflowing u ears and head with to much info at once...but ofcourse its all personal... :wink:

Agree with Paulo here. The BW is always worth a try. It is a very unusual copper cable with none of the failings of normal copper cable. :)

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #7,333 of 10,312
The first listen in the wild of the new LH Labs Geek Pulse...and it is brought to life with Toxic Cables Silver Widows!

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #7,334 of 10,312

I own both the BW and the Virus and I did own the SW. BW is great in a lot of setups including those that can be a bit spikey or trebley. 

However, I can say that the extra clarity brought about by the Virus is VERY tangible. Especially for smooth or bass heavy setups which could use more treble. 

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #7,335 of 10,312
Did anybody have any luck contacting Frank or Max?

I'm guessing they are overloaded with work now that Frank has returned from his vacation but it would be nice to just get a short update on the order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back