Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 20, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #346 of 10,312
My Viper i Talk cable arrived from Frank last night.   I am more than pleased with it.

I have quickly rushed to take some piccies of it to share with everyone (I got a bit too close with the flash, so will take some better ones later on if anyone wants them)

I have connected it to my Unique Melody reshells of my UE TF10vi's.   I instantly noticed a difference between my old cable and the viper.   The sound is a lot brighter and crisper than with the original cable. 

I hated the stock cable that came with the UEs (I went through 4 cables in less than 2 years), but no-one ever made a cable with mic & remote for them, until I saw a post near the start of this thread.

My first impressions of the Viper i Talk when I took it out of the bag is that it feels a lot more robust cable (in a good way), while still maintaining its light weight and flexibility.  The Mic and remote are combined into one unit (unlike the stock cable) and is in a good location on the cable.   I have to admit, I have always used the remote a lot more than I do the Mic (I am a lazy bugger and don't want to have to take my iphone out of my pocket to start/stop my music (especially on flights)).

The remote works the same way it did with the stock cable.

1 click: play/pause (or answer/end call)
2 clicks: Next track
3 clicks: Previous track

The actual sound quality between the Viper and the stock cable is noticeable, even to my un-trained ears.  The sound is a lot clearer and crisper across the board.

The build quality alone if enough of a reason to get this cable over the stock one, however, the improvements in sound quality (even with my brief testing) makes it a no brainer.

Edit:
Sorry for the way I have posted the images, everytime I tried to use the insert image button, I got the following message

problem.jpg

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #347 of 10,312
Frank, I am going to Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in October. One of the things I want to spend time with are IEM's. I want to make sure I am considering IEM's that you make cables for. Do you make them for:

JH Audio
Unique Melody
Ultimate Ears
Heir

Any that I am missing?

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #348 of 10,312
Quote:
Frank, I am going to Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in October. One of the things I want to spend time with are IEM's. I want to make sure I am considering IEM's that you make cables for. Do you make them for:

JH Audio
Unique Melody
Ultimate Ears
Heir

Any that I am missing?

Thanks!

I believe Ultimate Ears uses a new socket on the UE18 and maybe others, i am not too sure, so my cables will not fit, otherwise they will fit the rest you have mentioned and any other IEM that accepts the same cable as those mentioned.

I also offer cables for the, UE TF10, Shure SE535 and Sennheiser IE8/80.

@deaddingo, Thank you for sharing the pictures, i am glad that you like them.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #349 of 10,312
Ultimate Ears still use a Westone sized plug, but now their sockets are protruded from the CIEM. You can still plug the cable in, but there will be great risk of you breaking the pins.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #350 of 10,312
I am leaning towards the JH16's at the moment. I assume that the SP's would be OK for them?

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #352 of 10,312
Aug 21, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #353 of 10,312
Quote:

JH Audio
Unique Melody
Ultimate Ears
Heir

Any that I am missing?

Thanks!

It's almost easier to list the IEMs that won't fit. As mentioned, the newer Ultimate Ears system is different. The transition was around the time the UE18 came out. All UE18 and UE Reference Monitors will use the newer setup. For the others (mainly UE4 and UE11), there are some floating around with the older style and some with the new.

LiveWires used a different connection system. Hardly anyone has those though. Same with E.A.R. Inc. and their X5, X3, etc. Those are extremely rare. For everything else the standard "Westone" style cable will fit, meaning Toxic Cables will fit too. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #354 of 10,312
It's almost easier to list the IEMs that won't fit. As mentioned, the newer Ultimate Ears system is different. The transition was around the time the UE18 came out. All UE18 and UE Reference Monitors will use the newer setup. For the others (mainly UE4 and UE11), there are some floating around with the older style and some with the new.

LiveWires used a different connection system. Hardly anyone has those though. Same with E.A.R. Inc. and their X5, X3, etc. Those are extremely rare. For everything else the standard "Westone" style cable will fit, meaning Toxic Cables will fit too. 

Handy to have the flexibility. When you buy nice cables it is good to be able to use them as much as possible.

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #355 of 10,312
Just got mines in - cable looks great, has solid construction and is very flexible. Burning in at the moment but noticed improved bass and instrument separation right off the bat versus stock cable. Thanks Frank!

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #356 of 10,312
Guess what I just received, Toxic Cables silver poison for my LCD3, the 3week wait was somewhat long but well worth the wait.
For £140, it is very cheap considering the other cables I was looking at cost more and are copper which likely does not cost a 5th of what silver must cost.
Makes you wonder How frank can be making anything on them.

Thanks frank.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #357 of 10,312
Has anyone done a comparison of the Silver Poison to the Venom (copper or silver) with the LCD2 ?  I would love to know how the Venom sounds and I own the Poison as a reference.

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #358 of 10,312
Guess what I just received, Toxic Cables silver poison for my LCD3, the 3week wait was somewhat long but well worth the wait.
For £140, it is very cheap considering the other cables I was looking at cost more and are copper which likely does not cost a 5th of what silver must cost.
Thanks frank.

What other HP's have you been using? I am hoping to hear the LCD-3's at RMAF. For now the Hd650's and Frank's awesome SP's are working great!

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #359 of 10,312
Thanks frank.

I was thinking of getting a pair for my LCD-3s, how do they sound?

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #360 of 10,312
Quote:

I was thinking of getting a pair for my LCD-3s, how do they sound?

x2

for LCD2's. If you could give us any impressions versus stock would be helpful. I was going to go for the silver/copper that I have for my HE500's as this is very good indeed. But I feel the silver may be a better match for the LCD's.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back