Topping NX7 Portable Headphone Amplifier
Sep 29, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #48 of 63
What is/are the most power hungry headphones you guys are able to drive flawlessly with the NX7?
What headphones would you be trying to drive?

Main attractive point to me in nx7 is portable single-ended clean power. Great partner for headphones that are wired single-ended and cannot accept balanced signal such as beyerdynamics and jvc sz2k. Meanwhile most other portable amps are focused on balanced power and their single-ended outputs are poopy.

Nov 29, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #49 of 63
Has your battery gone bad?

Seems like taking PCB out is not simple. Besides Topping propaganda, I've only seen one picture of NX7 pcb posted online, here. You could attempt to message the user who posted it there, they might be able to help you out.

topping nx7 pcb.jpg
Nice OPA1612 in there... I guess that accounts for the sound :)

Nov 29, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #50 of 63
Nice OPA1612 in there... I guess that accounts for the sound :)
This post says it's OPA1612 (1pc) + BUF634A (4pcs) powered up by TPS65131. Wondering how Topping proprietary NFCA module plays a part in this? :thinking:

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #51 of 63
This post says it's OPA1612 (1pc) + BUF634A (4pcs) powered up by TPS65131. Wondering how Topping proprietary NFCA module plays a part in this? :thinking:
No idea, I've no idea how it works. Probably before it hits the OPA.

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #52 of 63
No idea, I've no idea how it works. Probably before it hits the OPA.
The thing I like about Topping is that you always feel like you're getting the power that they state in their specs, and then some. Obviously the NX7 is a 1.4W beast but even my NX4 DSD at 293mW on Hi Gain gives the impression of power to spare. Both have very clean sound.

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #53 of 63
The thing I like about Topping is that you always feel like you're getting the power that they state in their specs, and then some. Obviously the NX7 is a 1.4W beast but even my NX4 DSD at 293mW on Hi Gain gives the impression of power to spare. Both have very clean sound.
Yeah. I'm running a DT 880 600 ohm's on the Topping A30 pro, and I barely ever turn the knob past 10. Fully driven.

Dec 22, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #54 of 63
Wondering what DACs people here are using the NX7 with?

I have tried it with the Cayin RU6, RU7, Questyle M15, iBasso DC03 Pro, Dethonray Honey H1 and Mojo2. All, except the Mojo2, work flawlessly on their maximum output with the NX7. The Mojo2 is very distorted when used at its max. it clears up when I reduce the its volume/output by steps.

Does anyone else here use the NX7 with the Mojo2. If so how do you set up the Mojo2 in the pairing?

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #55 of 63
Wondering what DACs people here are using the NX7 with?

I have tried it with the Cayin RU6, RU7, Questyle M15, iBasso DC03 Pro, Dethonray Honey H1 and Mojo2. All, except the Mojo2, work flawlessly on their maximum output with the NX7. The Mojo2 is very distorted when used at its max. it clears up when I reduce the its volume/output by steps.

Does anyone else here use the NX7 with the Mojo2. If so how do you set up the Mojo2 in the pairing?
Sounds like you're getting clipping due to pushing too much vrms from mojo2 into nx7. The other dacs you've mentioned are much less powerful through their single-ended outputs than mojo2. I think nx7 supports 2.5vrms input max. I have both devices but to be honest I haven't tried stacking them together yet. Based on my experience in similar situations with other devices, I'd put nx7 volume knob around 12oclock (at desired gain setting) and control volume through mojo2, basically using mojo2 as a pre-amp volume control. This way you should be able to find optimal output level from mojo2 that doesn't distort/clip. I'd also suggest in mojo2 thread which is much more popular and various users have reported on using mojo2 with external amps.

Dec 23, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #56 of 63
Sounds like you're getting clipping due to pushing too much vrms from mojo2 into nx7. The other dacs you've mentioned are much less powerful through their single-ended outputs than mojo2. I think nx7 supports 2.5vrms input max. I have both devices but to be honest I haven't tried stacking them together yet. Based on my experience in similar situations with other devices, I'd put nx7 volume knob around 12oclock (at desired gain setting) and control volume through mojo2, basically using mojo2 as a pre-amp volume control. This way you should be able to find optimal output level from mojo2 that doesn't distort/clip. I'd also suggest in mojo2 thread which is much more popular and various users have reported on using mojo2 with external amps.
I was looking for the NX7 input power but wasn't able to find it. That was the missing piece of the puzzle.

Someone shared this great chart with me in the mojo2 thread so I can know what the output power is at different volume setting.

mojo2_output_volt.jpeg

With those two pieces of info I should be sorted.

Thanks!

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #57 of 63
I was looking for the NX7 input power but wasn't able to find it. That was the missing piece of the puzzle.

Someone shared this great chart with me in the mojo2 thread so I can know what the output power is at different volume setting.

mojo2_output_volt.jpeg

With those two pieces of info I should be sorted.

Thanks!
Did you get it to work without distortion? Do you like mojo2+nx7 stack better than mojo2 alone?

Jan 3, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #58 of 63
Yes I got it going without distortion - thanks. I need to give it more listening time to time to determine how I feel about the sound.

The convenience of having a 4.4. output is great as I like to minimise cable swapping.

My first impression of the sound is that it sounds more organic and with better decay through the mojo2 directly, but will give it more time.

Jan 4, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #59 of 63
How long is the usual using time of the NX7 from full battery to depleted for you guys?

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #60 of 63
How long is the usual using time of the NX7 from full battery to depleted for you guys?
Nx7 is rated to last 20hrs on low/mid gain, 10hrs on high gain. I'd say in reality that's close to accurate, maybe about 10% less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back