Topping NX7 Portable Headphone Amplifier
Feb 12, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #31 of 63
May 5, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #32 of 63
Has anyone confirm the NX7 sound identical to the G5 analog in? I liked the G5 as an amp but not as a DAC, so am wondering if NX7 is for me. What are the alternatives to NX7 at the <$500 price point?

May 5, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #33 of 63
Has anyone confirm the NX7 sound identical to the G5 analog in? I liked the G5 as an amp but not as a DAC, so am wondering if NX7 is for me. What are the alternatives to NX7 at the <$500 price point?
NX7 and G5's amp section basically have the exact same implementation based on a single NFCA module of the same gen. Topping was able to squeeze out a bit more power through NX7 since the battery doesn't have to supply dac and bt chips like in G5.

I've heard rave things about new A&K PA10 but it's a bit above $500.

My Gryphon has pretty good analog in as well.

May 5, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #34 of 63
NX7 and G5's amp section basically have the exact same implementation based on a single NFCA module of the same gen. Topping was able to squeeze out a bit more power through NX7 since the battery doesn't have to supply dac and bt chips like in G5.

I've heard rave things about new A&K PA10 but it's a bit above $500.

My Gryphon has pretty good analog in as well.
Thanks for the info. How does the Gryphon analog in compare to the NX7?

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #35 of 63
Thanks for the info. How does the Gryphon analog in compare to the NX7?
Gryphon has more tools: balanced analog in and analog eq presets. Its amp is less powerful than NX7. While NX7 is neutral and transparent across the board, Gryphon has a bit of warmth bias as it leans a little towards low mids making it sound rounder and more laid back than NX7.

May 15, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #36 of 63
Hello

I usually use the NX7 with Lotoo Paw 6000; it certainly improves the Lotoo power to drive my Sennheiser HD 660s. But, recently I’ve connected my old Fiio M9 to NX7 and, funnily enough, the sound of 660s was much better! I mean I felt more power: louder sound and wider soundstage!! I used fixed line out with both daps! I tried unfixed line out with maximum volume on Lotoo but still the M9 combination is better. Why is that? The Fiio M9 is cheaper and weaker than Lotoo Paw 6000!

May 15, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #37 of 63
Hello

I usually use the NX7 with Lotoo Paw 6000; it certainly improves the Lotoo power to drive my Sennheiser HD 660s. But, recently I’ve connected my old Fiio M9 to NX7 and, funnily enough, the sound of 660s was much better! I mean I felt more power: louder sound and wider soundstage!! I used fixed line out with both daps! I tried unfixed line out with maximum volume on Lotoo but still the M9 combination is better. Why is that? The Fiio M9 is cheaper and weaker than Lotoo Paw 6000!
you might get a different outcome with different headphones and/or different music genres. you might then prefer paw 6k as the source.

synergy is important and although both paw 6k and m9 use similar entry-level warm akm chips, the DAPs are going to be tuned differently.

another factor might be output impedance and how it mates with nx7's input impedance. if fiio sounds louder, its LO could have lower impedance output than lotoo's.

Aug 13, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #38 of 63
NX7 will likely have a better amp section than any all-in-one (dap, dacamp, dongle) under $500. Fundamentally, these devices typically have shared power supply for digital and analog sections. Stacking a separate amp like NX7 provides a completely independent from digital stages, separately-powered supplied amp section. This trade-off between convenience and sound quality works well for me in various listening session situations.

Sound can be summarized as neutral and organic. I used to think neutral and organic when listening to THX amps, but they now sound on colder, analytical, brighter side in comparison to NX7’s NFCA module. NFCA technology was “inspired” by THX but I like its mobile implementation better than that of THX in THX Onyx and Monolith THX AA Portable as the produced sound that is more natural and less dry. On the flipside, there are warm and sweet sounding portable amps, like Korg HA-S and Audio-Technica AT-PHA100 that produce transistor-like or tube-like second and third harmonics.

NX7 is crisp and fast. There’s excellent control over the entire frequency range. Bass is very articulate; it reaches sub low with ability to reproduce multiple basslines without overlapping mud. Quality is prioritised over quantity which produces somewhat less impact in mid-bass to provide for clear definition and separation from mids. Mids are positively evenly flat. There’s no apparent pinna gain or any other spikes that might cause fatigue. Melody of a track is clearly communicated to the listener. There’s plenty of space for different instruments to deliver their notes. Notes are not edgy but are not soft. Treble is well extended just like bass. There’s high level of transparency. If source DAC has smooth, calm, chill out treble like many R2R sources, that’s how NX7 will come off as well. But NX7’s treble can bite too. When fed with well-implemented ESS chip, there’s a lot of energy and sparkle in play. But things never get too glitzy or glary.

I’m still working on and will share later my feedback related to usability, gain, single-ended 4.4mm, comparison to other portable amps, and synergy with different sources and headphones/earphones.
Hello! I have an LG V30 phone that i've used for yonks now with Topping's NX3s. Instead of trying to decide on a (dac/amp) dongle, would you concur that the ESS dac chip already in said phone is essentially the equal of that packed by any of those, and that my very best bet for a true upgrade might be to purchase the NX7?

Aug 13, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #39 of 63
Does anybody know how to take out the PCB in order to change the battery?
I managed to take out the bottom cover, but not sure how to proceed from there. The PCB itself seems to be stuck coz of the volume knob and i dont know how to take out the volume knob.
Please advice.
Any advice is appreciated. Cheers... :)

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #40 of 63
Hello! I have an LG V30 phone that i've used for yonks now with Topping's NX3s. Instead of trying to decide on a (dac/amp) dongle, would you concur that the ESS dac chip already in said phone is essentially the equal of that packed by any of those, and that my very best bet for a true upgrade might be to purchase the NX7?
nx7 destroys any dongle in terms of amp section, it's not even close. as long as you don't mind the extra footprint of nx7 as you are used to using nx3s with v30 already anyway, nx7 is best value upgrade. i have lg g6+ which has a similar dac to v30, and it's good. if you like ess neutral-cold sound, note that lg quad dac ess implementation is on par with ess in dongles of today.

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #41 of 63
Does anybody know how to take out the PCB in order to change the battery?
I managed to take out the bottom cover, but not sure how to proceed from there. The PCB itself seems to be stuck coz of the volume knob and i dont know how to take out the volume knob.
Please advice.
Any advice is appreciated. Cheers... :)
Has your battery gone bad?

Seems like taking PCB out is not simple. Besides Topping propaganda, I've only seen one picture of NX7 pcb posted online, here. You could attempt to message the user who posted it there, they might be able to help you out.

topping nx7 pcb.jpg

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #42 of 63
nx7 destroys any dongle in terms of amp section, it's not even close. as long as you don't mind the extra footprint of nx7 as you are used to using nx3s with v30 already anyway, nx7 is best value upgrade. i have lg g6+ which has a similar dac to v30, and it's good. if you like ess neutral-cold sound, note that lg quad dac ess implementation is on par with ess in dongles of today.
Great, thankyou... not sure what is meant by "extra footprint" there, tho?.Like maybe drain on phone or something?

Aug 13, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #43 of 63
Great, thankyou... not sure what is meant by "extra footprint" there, tho?.Like maybe drain on phone or something?
Size :)

Sep 1, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #45 of 63
Hi everyone. I plan to buy a NX7 to feed my upcoming high impedance earbuds. I was wondering, can i use the NX7 while charging? Does it have a bypass feature so it can preserve the battery health? Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back