Topping D50
Aug 1, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #799 of 1,054
Drop is subject to sales taxes in states where we have established a significant physical presence (or nexus). Having nexus in a state means that we have to collect sales tax from members in that state.

The amount of sales tax charged will depend on the following factors:

• Current state sales tax rate
  • Local sales tax rates, if applicable (city or district)
Members who live in the following states are subject to sales tax when purchasing items on Drop:

• California
  • New Jersey (with the exception of clothing items)
  • MA (Effective Aug 1, 2019)
  • WA (Effective Aug 1, 2019)
  • IL (Effective Aug 1, 2019)
The final sales and local tax amount will be calculated when your credit card charge is authorized. You may refer to your confirmation email or your financial institution to see the final charged amount.

Aug 3, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #800 of 1,054
Not too long ago received my Topping D50 and very happy with it. Matched it with Little Dot MkIII also from drop. Very happy with the sound. Despite the discussions here regarding its worth, I’m interested in the P50 even it improves SQ just a little my question is the P50 is clearly meant to match the D50, and I assume from the photos on the back of the unit, can be connected via the USB output. However, would the Little Dot mkiii also benefit from being powered by the p50? First of all, is it appropriately matched to power the ldmkiii? Second, since it’s not USB powered , would you need a special connector to go from the LD to the p50?

Aug 3, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #802 of 1,054
I apologize in advance for being very new at all of this. I’m not sure what the LDMKIII requires?
I have gone to the specs but again I’m very green to all of this.

That being said , would the p50 provide me benefit for the d50 if the ldmkiii is still using regular power?

Aug 3, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #803 of 1,054
I apologize in advance for being very new at all of this. I’m not sure what the LDMKIII requires?
I have gone to the specs but again I’m very green to all of this.

That being said , would the p50 provide me benefit for the d50 if the ldmkiii is still using regular power?
I personally don't "believe" in upgrading power supplies especially for 5V power but others might not agree. It's not rocket science

Aug 3, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #804 of 1,054
I personally don't "believe" in upgrading power supplies especially for 5V power but others might not agree. It's not rocket science

You may not believe it, but a power supply is one of the most important parts in audio.

In this case the important thing is that the power supply does not introduce noise in to the Topping, that the voltage is accurate and steady, and that the current that the Topping gets is what it needs.

Some subjective reports sustain that a linear supply is better place to start here than a switching one. But I haven't seen any curves or figures that support that.

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #806 of 1,054
You may not believe it, but a power supply is one of the most important parts in audio.

In this case the important thing is that the power supply does not introduce noise in to the Topping, that the voltage is accurate and steady, and that the current that the Topping gets is what it needs.

Some subjective reports sustain that a linear supply is better place to start here than a switching one. But I haven't seen any curves or figures that support that.
I am not going to lecture you. And do not want to offend you in any mean. Instead, let me ask you a question that may give you an idea: how do you think +5 volt that is supplied to D50 becomes -8 and +8 volts supply rails for D50 opamps?

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #807 of 1,054
Magic?

Aug 4, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #809 of 1,054
I am not going to lecture you. And do not want to offend you in any mean. Instead, let me ask you a question that may give you an idea: how do you think +5 volt that is supplied to D50 becomes -8 and +8 volts supply rails for D50 opamps?

Of course Topping is using a DC-DC stage for the output amp stage, converting 5v into +/-8v. Nobody is denying that, on the contrary. That was talked here several months ago.

My suggestion was to use an external output stage altogether, straight from the DAC, which can still have linear DC if you use a linear power supply on the Topping.

As the output from the DAC is balanced there shouldn't be much trouble. Then connect that to an external analog stage, with a fully regulated linear supply, higher voltage, like +/-15v.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back