To crossfeed or not to crossfeed? That is the question...
Oct 16, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #1,261 of 2,146
I have never seen such a long thread here with so little helpful info about the actual subject
TBH, @ironmine coming here to share his new experiences with various VSTs, is the only reason why I didn't close that topic. if I could move posts, I'd take the beginning of this topic, and all his posts about VSTs, and put it all somewhere else where people could easily browse through the apps and impressions and discuss them. then I'd take what's left here(most of it being @71dB defending a fake model as if it was general relativity) and lock it up so hard that even the crew from Ocean 11 couldn't break in to post again.

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #1,262 of 2,146
I tested yesterday the "Cans C" option in AirWindows Monitoring Redux. I left the following comment about it on the GearSlutz forum, I just copy and paste it here to save time:

I tried Cans C and Cans D settings. Cans D sounds weird, it's unusable. Cans A and B, which I tried before, have a very weak crossfeed effect, they leave to much excessive spatiality and hard stereo.

Cans C, which I had high hopes for, unfortunately, still does not have a sufficient crossfeed effect to ensure pleasurable listening. On the plus side, highs and mids sound open and spacious and clear, but, on the minus side, the way this crossfeed handles bass ruins everything.

Bass notes still sound too much in the manner "in one ear only" (it's like a bee buzzing in one ear), too close to the listener, too hard, too narrow. When I listen through Cans C, I don't have the iIllusion (which I want to have) that the drum set is in front of me, I have an (unpleasant) feeling that I sit inside the drum set. Drums thunder on my ears from the left and from the right. If you imagine the face of a clock, I (i.e., the listener) am at where the figure 6 is, the highs and the mids are ok, they occupy the space from 9 to 3, but the drums (bass notes) are on 7 & 8 on the left and on 4 & 5 on the right, while they should be 9-10 on the left and 2-3 on the right:

718064d7457eb738b4069894cc42cd93.jpg

I wish you could offer more sliders for adjustment available to the user.
But I also know that you are unreasonably stubborn in this regard and you would sooner donate your kidney to another person than give the user a parameter slider for tinkering.

Oct 17, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #1,263 of 2,146
TBH, @ironmine coming here to share his new experiences with various VSTs, is the only reason why I didn't close that topic. if I could move posts, I'd take the beginning of this topic, and all his posts about VSTs, and put it all somewhere else where people could easily browse through the apps and impressions and discuss them. then I'd take what's left here(most of it being @71dB defending a fake model as if it was general relativity) and lock it up so hard that even the crew from Ocean 11 couldn't break in to post again.

What is the point of having discussion boards online if moderators can lock threads when they don't like what has been said?
I didn't know you have to agree with moderators around here! What a joke of a forum!
You can call my posts fake all you want, freedom of speech and all, but can you offer such freedom to also other around here?
I think I have given STRONG scientific justifications for my claims.

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #1,264 of 2,146

@71 dB

Just some thoughts from an outsider looking in.

I think you need to take a break, seriously. Arguing all the time is just achieving the above and annoying you as well.

You said that you've made Crossfeed plugins. Why not put your time and effort into that and monetize it by seeking out Venture Capital or do it altruistically for the love of doing it? Who knows where it will lead?

If you have a Passion for something and it's strong enough you can devote your life to it if you feel that strongly about it.

You can either wait for things to happen for you or you can make them happen.

Direct your energy to something more positive. Just a friendly suggestion, nothing more.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #1,265 of 2,146
You said that you've made Crossfeed plugins.

;nyquist plug-in
;version 2
;type process
;name "Exact Crossfeed"
;action "Crossfeeding..."
;info "Exact Crossfeeder 2017."
;control pax "Bass Crossfeed level" int "dB" -3 -12 0
;control pay "Treble Crossfeed level" int "dB" -25 -35 -15
;control paw "Width" int "degrees" 90 10 90

;; DEFINING CONSTANTS ALPHA, BETA, XI AND FREQ

(setf beta (/ 1.0 (+ 1 (expt 10.0 (/ pay 20.0)))))
(setf alpha (/ (- beta (/ 1.0 (+ 1 (expt 10.0 (/ pax 20.0))))) (- (* 2 beta) 1)))
(setf xi (* alpha (+ (* 2 beta) -1)))
(setf freq (* (/ 22050 paw) (/ xi (* (- beta xi) (- xi beta -1)))))

;; TREBLE CROSSFEED

(setf gamma (aref s 0))
(setf (aref s 0) (sim (mult beta (aref s 0)) (mult (- 1 beta) (aref s 1))))
(setf (aref s 1) (sim (mult beta (aref s 1)) (mult (- 1 beta) gamma)))

;; DEFINING CONSTANT GAMMA

(setf gamma (mult alpha (lp (sim (aref s 0) (mult -1 (aref s 1))) freq)))

;; BASS CROSSFEED

(setf (aref s 0) (sim (aref s 0) (mult gamma -1)))
(setf (aref s 1) (sim (aref s 1) gamma))

;; OUTPUT

(if (arrayp s)
(vector (abs-env
(at 0 (cue (aref s 0))))
(abs-env
(at 0 (cue (aref s 1))))))

Oct 17, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #1,266 of 2,146
What is the point of having discussion boards online if moderators can lock threads when they don't like what has been said?

The problem isn't the thread. Locking it won't help. I personally think a thread ban is in order here.

Oct 17, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #1,267 of 2,146
The problem isn't the thread. Locking it won't help. I personally think a thread ban is in order here.

Banning members you don't like? Such a freedom of speech warrior you are! I would propose banning someone only if said member gave practised threats of violence, racism etc.

Oct 17, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #1,268 of 2,146
I think I have given STRONG scientific justifications for my claims.
you've renounced a scientific approach to this problem at every opportunity. anytime we have brought up some concerns(or evidence) about the many disparities between reality and your makeshift model to justify crossfeed as an objective improvement, you've made up excuses as to why we should just pretend that those variables and concerns don't matter. I must have missed the part where this was a step of the scientific method. :confounded:

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #1,269 of 2,146
At first I thought you were mentally ill. I try to ignore the mentally ill guy in this forum because his fixations aren't his fault. He can't help it. But you're definitely trolling us. You know what you're saying is full of hot air, and it's been pointed out to you in every way possible, from very polite to full on brusque. You aren't listening and you aren't participating in the conversation any more. You're just performing to attract attention to yourself. We don't need that. As far as I'm concerned, you're done.

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #1,270 of 2,146
you've renounced a scientific approach to this problem at every opportunity. anytime we have brought up some concerns(or evidence) about the many disparities between reality and your makeshift model to justify crossfeed as an objective improvement, you've made up excuses as to why we should just pretend that those variables and concerns don't matter. I must have missed the part where this was a step of the scientific method. :confounded:

Yeah, this has been the problem and I don't know what to say. The concerns seem very little and my ears say they don't matter. The concerns apply also to acoustic crossfeed, but nobody cares, because the option of cross-talk canceling rarely exists so people listen to speakers with acoustic crossfeed ER and reverberation all of which SHOULD arise concerns if one was concerned about what crossfeed does...

Oct 17, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #1,271 of 2,146
Yeah, this has been the problem and I don't know what to say. The concerns seem very little and my ears say they don't matter. The concerns apply also to acoustic crossfeed, but nobody cares, because the option of cross-talk canceling rarely exists so people listen to speakers with acoustic crossfeed ER and reverberation all of which SHOULD arise concerns if one was concerned about what crossfeed does…

…crossfeed is not perfect and in imperfection is based on science, but it is improvement

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #1,274 of 2,146
I have tried every crossfeed vst plugin I could find on different systems and none helped achieve what I wanted. I bought a Hafler HA-75 amp that has a Focus Control option that lets you control the center image to make it sound more like speakers. That my friends is exactly what the vst plugins never pulled off for me. It talks about it on page 10

https://www.hafler.com/pdf/HA75-R2-User-Guide.pdf

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #1,275 of 2,146
In terms of VST solutions, I like Goodhertz Can Opener. It’s pretty user-friendly, gives control over the angle being simulated, and doesn’t sound bad. Their mid/side vst is also handy sometimes. Not everything needs crossfeed but it certainly is nice to have when listening to a recording that was truly never intended for headphones. Can Opener does NOT work with EqualizerAPO in my laptop though. (Does work in JRiver and Audirvana)

I also make some use of the Radsone ES100’s crossfeed, which is not as sophisticated but works in a pinch. And doesn’t require configuring software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back