TIDAL is coming to Astell&Kern players!
Nov 18, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #121 of 190
  don't blame AK, it's the labels that don't allow any other app than the native Tidal app to have offline mode. imo AK did everything they could.

bingo

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #122 of 190
Mm...in hifi mode, tidal streaming will not consume a lot of data. Even on 3G, tidal hifi streaming works. While offline listening is highly desirable, it is not a deal breaker for me since my other devices have offline listening. Perhaps, in the future, AK will replace their OS to Android or modified Android like on the Sony ZX2 or the Onkyo DPX1. It is better than nothing.

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #123 of 190
Tidal on AK100ii

Wow - fired up my AK100ii a few minutes ago and was greeted with a new firmware update including Tidal.  Downloaded and rebooting now.  I'm hoping my days of switching back and forth, phone to AK100ii velcroed to my Mojo, are done!

More later.

Edit - So far, so good!  It works, and appears to sound as it should, halfway through the first song.

I'm not sure - am I late to the party for the update including Tidal for the AK100ii, or an early adopter?

A few more comments here for those interested.

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #124 of 190
a little late, but its the latest update and an excellent addition to a killer player.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #127 of 190
Hey guys, I experienced a weird static/noise on my AK240 when downloading (loading) a song via tidal (wifi). The noise is only there when the track loads, then goes away when track load is complete. It sounds like digital noise or static.

I am running my sound from AK240 balanced out > ALO Rx MK3 B+ > balanced Crystal Cable Next > AK/Beyerdynamic T8ie Mkii

However, I don't hear the noise just straight out of the AK240 - T8ie/CCN balanced.

Seems to be wifi noise from the AMP but I was wondering if you guys experience similar when using other amp's or equipment. Could it be something else?

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #131 of 190
With regards to an offline mode... Just saw the post with the link to the FB page, and the comment from the Tidal employee...

I know a little about that. For anyone wondering, an offline mode will definitely NOT be coming to the A&K version of Tidal. Licensing agreements take forever, and tiny ecosystems like a one-off version of the app on a specific niche product like the A&K are always left out in the cold. So offline ain't never gonna happen.

Dammit. I was all about an AK300.

Okay, I guess I'll go for a Sony NW-ZX2- I'm sorry, what was that? It's running an Android version first written on cave walls during the last ice age, and you don't see Tidal working with it much longer? Guess I'll look into the Onkyo DP-X1. What's that you say? They couldn't be bothered to properly solder in the headphone jack on their $700 premium headphone player? Well, scratch that too. Hmmm, how about an LH Geek Wave- huh? They're thinking of actually shipping units right around the time the sun burns out? Okay, well I guess I'll go for the... um... the... Wait, somebody makes a high-resolution player that functions well, has a somewhat current version of Android, and supports a full version of Tidal, right? Right?

Somebody? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #133 of 190
AK and Tidal didn't change crap for me. Streaming Hifi quality music while commuting burns right through my data plan.

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #134 of 190
Yeah, Tidal is basically pointless without offline mode, unless you want to use it to audition albums that you will buy to play offline when you are... Wait for it... Mobile. You know, with your mobile device.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #135 of 190
Yeah, Tidal is basically pointless without offline mode, unless you want to use it to audition albums that you will buy to play offline when you are... Wait for it... Mobile. You know, with your mobile device.

Or not. I use Tidal a lot. I've used offline mode maybe 5 times in over a year. Different use case for me though. I use it at home mostly, and at lower resolution to stream to my car stereo when driving, via Bluetooth from my phone. I don't generally listen to the AK when out and about. Different needs, different strokes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back