Thunderpants!
Nov 6, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #1,861 of 2,225
I put my velours on them to try to see if the sound would be the same, which it was. But he himself used the stock pads which were pretty horrid...

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #1,863 of 2,225
Well, I am definitely a basshead when it comes to electronic music of all sorts, on everything else i just want enough for it to sound realistic. And the Thunderpants are awesome for most genres, except a few Metal tracks where the bassguitar and the drums just lacked presence with these cans. And they definitely didn't serve my needs for electronic music.
The thing is i wanted an allrounder for portable use...which this really wasn't to me...My denons are, and my Grado HF2 are after they got fully woodied with dense ebony...
But yea, I really just wanted to defend martin's work and prove my point that the thunderpants simply arent for me - it not because he did something wrong :)

But think I'll have to put my pair up for sale and look for something different - so if anyone wants to take them off my hands, they are practically brand new :)

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #1,864 of 2,225
Just a general note about amplification.

My beloved Leckerton DAC/Amp went off to the factory today to get a modification. I have fallen back on a cheapie Logitech while it is gone. Sound quality is down substantially in every respect, and one of the biggest hits is in bass quantity and impact.

Electronics matters...

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #1,865 of 2,225
Good to know.

On that note: can you suggest a good amp (I already have a DAC) for the Thunderpants around or under $300?  Since the CTH no longer seems to be available from any source other than as a built-from-scratch project, I'm gathering ideas from as many people as possible.

I'd like to get a hybrid tube amp since I've already got a solid-state one, but I'm open to suggestions of all types.

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #1,866 of 2,225
As mentioned I think the Leckerton DAC/Amp is a great match.
For amp only, others here will be better resources than I.
Hope to try out more amps with my 'Pants at the Seattle meet in January.
Here is one I would love to try:
http://aloaudio.com/alo-audio-the-continental-mobile-vacuum-tube-amplifier.html
hybrid tube and portable - how cool is that :)

Quote:
Good to know.

On that note: can you suggest a good amp (I already have a DAC) for the Thunderpants around or under $300?  Since the CTH no longer seems to be available from any source other than as a built-from-scratch project, I'm gathering ideas from as many people as possible.

I'd like to get a hybrid tube amp since I've already got a solid-state one, but I'm open to suggestions of all types.

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #1,867 of 2,225
I'm curious, but how does Smeggy's Thunderpants compare to Sennheiser HD650?  (Yeah, ones is open and one is closed)

I need closed cans that can match the SQ of the HD650 (the sound signature doesn't have to be exact; but I am looking for something that can replace HD650 when I am in the library without compromising the stellar (to me) sound quality).

I also heard that the TP's bass can sound exaggerated after listening to phones like HD650. Will reducing the number/size of the bass port solve this "issue"?

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #1,868 of 2,225
I haven't used the 650s in particular, but I was always an open-can Senn man until I got my TPs.  I can tell you for sure that the upper highs will have more "sparkle" on the Senns simply because that's the nature of open cans vs closed.  I don't think you'll have to worry about the bass being exaggerated as the freq response of these things is relatively flat.  It may have more bass than your Senns, but it won't be exaggerated and it won't detract from the clarity of other frequency ranges.

The TP1s aren't perfect (nothing is), but, in my opinion, they're about as close to it as you're going to get for a library-type environment. I'm just not aware of anything out there that both isolates as well and can compete on SQ. Plus, they're not overly difficult to drive.

Anyway, here's the datasheets so you can compare objective characteristics for yourself:

Sennheiser HD 650

Smeggy Thunderpants

Nov 9, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #1,872 of 2,225

Quote:
I have not, but I understand they're very nice.  As an addendum to Radio-head's input above: they're also double (or more) the price of the Smeggy TP1s.

Yeah, but your statement didn't include price into the equation.  I'm coming from that perspective (I actually own two pairs of Ed8s, used to own L3ks).  Jude and Tyll are quite taken with the TPs and that's what pushed me to snag a pair in the gb, but haven't seen any detailed impressions between these and the Ed8s, just a handful of folks who prefer one or the other.

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #1,873 of 2,225
Thank you, Prospero, for answering my question.

And Bobeau, while I love the modern look (sorry, but I can't comment on the sound quality as I have not listened to the E8) and the reviews are good, they are way out of my price range (which, by the way, is about $500±100).

Now, I can either save up and buy them myself, or wait until the holly jolly Christmas :wink:

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #1,874 of 2,225

Quote:

And Bobeau, while I love the modern look (sorry, but I can't comment on the sound quality as I have not listened to the E8) and the reviews are good, they are way out of my price range (which, by the way, is about $500±100).

I get that this was a response to your question, but making a blanket statement like that takes it beyond the scope of the question.  Same thing in the Ed8 thread, bunch of people saying they're the best closed cans available - personally I feel that's a bit of a disservice to the community unless you've had experience with both.

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #1,875 of 2,225

Quote:
I get that this was a response to your question, but making a blanket statement like that takes it beyond the scope of the question.  Same thing in the Ed8 thread, bunch of people saying they're the best closed cans available - personally I feel that's a bit of a disservice to the community unless you've had experience with both.

I made no blanket statement that they were the "best closed cans available", which I agree would have been inappropriate.  I said that, in my opinion, they were the best cans for his very specific needs as laid out by him above that *I* was aware of.  I was very careful to make that qualification for exactly this reason. Just wanted to make that clear.  People tend to get a bit over-sensitive about these sorts of things.

Anyway (speaking to meltdown117 now), some good options out there, including these.  If you're planning on spending this much money, the more research you can do and the more input you can get from experienced listeners, the better.  You might also check your area for any meets that could be happening in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back