Thunderpants!
Jul 15, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #1,516 of 2,225
@bluemonkeyflyer, Dude, great job. I contacted Fostex (the US division) directly and I never heard back.

This could be a game changer assuming the sum of the parts needed is not more than buying a full set. But it would still be great for those that accidentally blow a driver and only need on replacement.

-Marty

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #1,517 of 2,225
Marty,

Unfortunately, the sum of the parts is much higher than a full set if you get them on sale for $75.  It may be helpful, though, to those of us who break something or do a non-reversible mod and want to go back to stock.

Here are the 4 parts I specifically asked about and are now "in the system" and can be ordered by any Fostex Authorized Dealer:

[size=10.0pt]Dust Cover (Ref. No. 10 on Exploded Diagram)[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Replacement Part Number:  1416902500[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Sugg Retail: 4.95$ each side[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Driver Gasket (Ref. No. 13 on Exploded Diagram)[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Replacement Part Number:  1416902800[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Sugg Retail: 7.49$ ea[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Headphone Capsule (Driver Assembly; No. 15 on Exploded Diagram)[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Replacement Part Number:  1471300500[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Sugg Retail: 69.95$ ea[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Tiny Screws (Ref. No 23 on Exploded Diagram)[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Replacement Part Number: 0514002200[/size]
[size=10.0pt]Sugg Retail: 1.50$   each one!!!!  But, the Retailer may price them differently, so ask for a full set of at least 4; better, yet, 8 for $1.50...all they can say is, "No."[/size]

Quote:
@bluemonkeyflyer, Dude, great job. I contacted Fostex (the US division) directly and I never heard back.

This could be a game changer assuming the sum of the parts needed is not more than buying a full set. But it would still be great for those that accidentally blow a driver and only need on replacement.

-Marty

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #1,518 of 2,225

Wow, i am just blown away by how this has taken off. Smeggy the creator surely is a mad genius and deserves major props.

http://home.comcast.net/~garybutcher/Thunderpants_TP1/Home.html

i blew a driver not paying attention to the heat on my soldering gun..just got a replacement headphone. far cheaper as noted than buying parts. this has been discussed before. Shiould finally be able to finish this up so i can use it in the office. Thanks again to Smegster for the cups and baffles that he sent ages ago...only getting around to finishing them now :p.

Jul 16, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #1,520 of 2,225
Sachu, when you say you "blew a driver" with your soldering iron, do you mean that you heat-lifted the pad off the plastic substrate? If so, I did the same thing yesterday  :^(

However, I bought some silver conductive epoxy made by MG Chemicals and repaired the break. The pad lifted completely off when I had to use a non-temperature controlled iron after my regular solder station broke its heating element. I should have foreseen that the substitute iron could be dangerous!

All that was left was a quarter inch of a teeny, tiny trace before it disappears beneath the driver housing. I used a new #11 Xacto blade and high magnification under good lighting to carefully s-c-r-a-p-e the protective coating away from over the miniscule trace. Then I lightly clamped the tinned lead next to the scraped trace and put the silver epoxy over both.

The epoxy is still not yet 100% cured, but the resistance is within a couple tenths of an ohm of the original reading, and ironically now exactly matches the resistance of the other T50rp driver.

This is the conductive epoxy, which I bought locally in the Seattle area for $32:  http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/8331.html

It's kind of pricey, but can certainly save the day with delicate solder pads like on the T50rp's flexible PCB.

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #1,521 of 2,225

[size=medium]
Calling for all broken TP50rp drivers  - I am starting up a "recycle"/repair point as quite a few folk are pulling off the solder tabs and having to replace drivers - no promises on repair and turnaround will be as time permits, there will be no charge. Don't send me a driver with a screw driver hole through it  -  you would have wasted postage. I may ask for postage cover if it gets crazy but initially the only cost to you would be sending the driver to me. If you have a spare driver to donate - send it along as I will keep it to redistribute. ( I may just keep a pair for myself if I find an excess and have an urge to play ) I currently have one driver repaired. Initial rules will be , send me a driver , if it can be repaired, I will do so and return it. If I end up with a small stash of drivers, I will merely send a working driver to replace a damaged driver, repairable or not ) ..dB
[/size]

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #1,522 of 2,225
That's just crazy talk, Don.

cool.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #1,524 of 2,225
I'd like to make a headphone cable wired like the diagram that came with my LCD2's.  Am I correct that 4-pin mini xlr plugs are what's needed for 1/4" TRS to 2 female mini xlr plugs for a stereo headphone cable?  If so, what is the best maker and supplier?  

What is the best 1/4" TRS plug?

What kind of bulk cable is best?

Thanks.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #1,525 of 2,225

Quote:
I'd like to make a headphone cable wired like the diagram that came with my LCD2's.  Am I correct that 4-pin mini xlr plugs are what's needed for 1/4" TRS to 2 female mini xlr plugs for a stereo headphone cable?  If so, what is the best maker and supplier?  

What is the best 1/4" TRS plug?

What kind of bulk cable is best?

Thanks.

you can also use trrs much smaller then useing a mini xlr which needs a 11mm drillbit.

if you do want a lcd-2 cable

just buy

2 mini xlrs 4 pin reen ones work

smallest gauge wire you can find i use 30awg wire for headphones weights nothing and works great 26 will work its easy to find mogami quad always strip the jacket weights a ton.

trs buy a neutrik = reen same company. or you can buy a furutech one they only cost about 3x as much and look nicer imo.

should cost around 20-40 to make

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #1,526 of 2,225
Teejaay,

As always, many thanks for the helpful reply.

Quote:
you can also use trrs much smaller then useing a mini xlr which needs a 11mm drillbit.

if you do want a lcd-2 cable

just buy

2 mini xlrs 4 pin reen ones work

smallest gauge wire you can find i use 30awg wire for headphones weights nothing and works great 26 will work its easy to find mogami quad always strip the jacket weights a ton.

trs buy a neutrik = reen same company. or you can buy a furutech one they only cost about 3x as much and look nicer imo.

should cost around 20-40 to make

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,528 of 2,225
I just received notification from Smeggy that my Thunderpants are arriving soon!

Here's a photo (I'll take more photos myself, when they arrive).  I left it up to Smeggy to surprise me with the wood choice(s), and he came up with curly claro walnut with ebony mounts.  Gorgeous.

Can't wait to hear it!

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #1,529 of 2,225
Hey Jude,

Looking good!  I also asked Smeggy to surprise me with a set of TP's of his choice and a set of cables.  I'm looking forward to delivery!

Quote:
I just received notification from Smeggy that my Thunderpants are arriving soon!

Here's a photo (I'll take more photos myself, when they arrive).  I left it up to Smeggy to surprise me with the wood choice(s), and he came up with curly claro walnut with ebony mounts.  Gorgeous.

Can't wait to hear it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back