Thunderpants!
Jul 1, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #1,501 of 2,225
Great comparison Wharfrat and very interesting comments on amps. Never would have expected an old receiver to perform so well.

In a very brief comparison I preferred the the Thunderpants, but I need to spend a lot more time at the next Head-Fi meet, and with a number of different amps.

Ultimately it may come down to whether you prefer an open or closed can. For me closed is the only option. Many people prefer open of course.

Bottom line, see if you can attend a Head-Fi meet, a lot will depend on your personal preferences and what amplification seems reasonable to you. Both are great sounding units and I doubt if either will disappoint.

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #1,502 of 2,225
Total Newbie, here, but I wonder what it would sound like to systematically try each of the following mods, one by one:

1. Remove the stock foam and take a listen.
2. Remove all but 1 layer of damping material and replace stock foam; compare.
3. Make sure your ear pads are not covering the bass vent hole; actually this should be the first thing to check.
4  Drill another bass vent hole or enlarge the existing one.
5. Mass damp around the back of the drivers with Elmer's Putty Tack, plasticine, or similar.

I am interested to hear from more experienced DIY guys about your opinions on these suggestions and better solutions.

I modded a T20v2 with Akasa, stick-on felt, and plasticine.  The SQ is very good and the bass is tight and multi-layered; Not BOOMY.

Here's the link:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/1785#post_7582437
Scroll down to #1786.

Quote:
Dear all, 
I just want to share my current orthodynamic cans.
I bought it last year from my friend.

Its model and design was inspired from TP design.
the differences are it using T20v2 driver, different cable, and still using stock pad set.
Here is the pic (the left one) :

The woody section was created by calico, the best wood artist for audio in my country.
And it has damped by iQem.

But IMHO it has different character compared with TP.
While most of you said that TP has a very nice bass, it can't give me a satisfaction for the low freq.

Is it any suggestion for me to get the "monstrous bass" just like u got from TP?
Is the diameter of bass port affect the bass? mine just no more than 2 milimeters.

sorry for my poor english :D
regards,
wahyu

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #1,505 of 2,225
I don't know if it qualifies as a "pants" variant since it doesn't use wooden cups, but I'm finishing up an open style T50rp orthos which uses a JVC HA-RX900 as the chassis. I was very surprised the excellent Thunderpants-like bass was only *slightly* reduced when I converted them to "open". In fact, the roll off of the high frequencies greatly lessened and now treble sounds a lot better to me.

Perhaps the JMoney pads I'm using on these helps retain the bass.

I've been taking photos along the way, and when I'm done (are DIY headphones ever really "done"?), I'll do a write-up on them. I think the headphones look almost "factory" and sound excellent IMHO.

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #1,507 of 2,225

Quote:
I don't know if it qualifies as a "pants" variant since it doesn't use wooden cups, but I'm finishing up an open style T50rp orthos which uses a JVC HA-RX900 as the chassis. I was very surprised the excellent Thunderpants-like bass was only *slightly* reduced when I converted them to "open". In fact, the roll off of the high frequencies greatly lessened and now treble sounds a lot better to me.

Perhaps the JMoney pads I'm using on these helps retain the bass.

I've been taking photos along the way, and when I'm done (are DIY headphones ever really "done"?), I'll do a write-up on them. I think the headphones look almost "factory" and sound excellent IMHO.

I look forward to what you come up with and pix will be very helpful.  Components, too.

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #1,508 of 2,225
What is the best material for reflex dots?

I am contemplating a novel wood cup design and construction technique.  If it pans out, I will post what I come up with.  

I want to drill small holes for attaching the baffle to the cup and insert "wood screw inserts" into the holes and use machine screws so they do not strip out.  Anyone done this?  If so,  what size works best?

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #1,510 of 2,225

Quote:
Has there been any succes with "Openpants" it doesn't seem frem this thread but perhaps I missed some other posts.

I was going to work on this in a bit. Did Kabeer ever keep working on that?

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #1,511 of 2,225
I would really like doing a thunderpants project of my own, but first I must do a little research
heard that the sony qualia sa5k ear pads would fit the thunderpants, the only question is where can i buy them at?
And are there any drafts or measurements about the inner and outer side of the cups?

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #1,512 of 2,225

Quote:
What is the best material for reflex dots?

I am contemplating a novel wood cup design and construction technique.  If it pans out, I will post what I come up with.  

I want to drill small holes for attaching the baffle to the cup and insert "wood screw inserts" into the holes and use machine screws so they do not strip out.  Anyone done this?  If so,  what size works best?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001048/3631/632-Brass-Threaded-Inserts-10.aspx i do mine with these. 6 per cup

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #1,515 of 2,225
Fostex T50RP Replacement Parts

I've been in contact with the distributor about replacement parts.  I also contacted Full Compass and B&H Photo parts departments.  Full Compass immediately phoned the distributor and confirmed they could get any parts needed.  B&H told me all they had was ear pads.  Here's the most recent reply from the distributor:

cleardot.gif
Michael Lowe to me
show details 9:28 AM (17 minutes ago)

[size=small]You're very welcome. We can definitely track down the other parts however we don't normally stock up on parts until there's a real demand for them. Rest assured however we can source any of the parts listed in the exploded view at any of our authorized dealer's request.[/size]

Thanks & Best Regards,
[size=10pt]Michael Lowe[/size]
[size=10pt]Service/Parts Coordinator[/size]
[size=10pt]
mail
[/size]     
[size=10pt]Tel: 1-800-994-4984 ext 2453[/size]
[size=10pt]Fax: 1-800-563-2591[/size]
[size=10pt]E-mail: parts@americanmusicandsound.com[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back