Thunderpants!
Jun 5, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #1,471 of 2,225
Oh yah, Ed Rush and Optical's nasty bass lines are to die for on a properly amped T50RP
domus.gif

A good example: http://www.google.com/search?q=Ed+Rush+Optical+Crackball&tbm=vid

I've owned the X-Fi XM, it can't compete. Treat the T50RP as if it cost $1K, and you'll get to hear what it can really do
mlc2.gif

I am working on that.

Ed rush and optical have made some nasty tracks through the years.

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #1,472 of 2,225
Im sure its been said before but are the o2 pads really that good? The issue Im having with my martin customs is the stock pads are not that great but they get the driver closer to my ear. I like the comfort of the beyer pads he included with them but the driver is further away and sound somewhat hollow. The o2 pads look like the driver would be even further away from my ears. Any opinions? And can they be bought in the US?

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #1,473 of 2,225
Hey Schwally,
I'll just send you the O2's for awhile and you can report back to the masses whether they seem to help or not.  Sound good?

I've been busy with other projects so I haven't been tweaking mine at all.  I'll be starting another woody set in the next couple weeks I'd imagine though....too much fun to build and tweak.

Jun 6, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #1,474 of 2,225

Would be awesome of you.

Quote:
Hey Schwally,
I'll just send you the O2's for awhile and you can report back to the masses whether they seem to help or not.  Sound good?

I've been busy with other projects so I haven't been tweaking mine at all.  I'll be starting another woody set in the next couple weeks I'd imagine though....too much fun to build and tweak.

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #1,479 of 2,225

I went to Michael's since it was close to my office. I found the eyelets but they were too big. I will try a few other stores tonight. I did however pick up some stuff to try to make a headband. This should be fun. The best DIY I'm good at is clicking on the buy button and paying by myself.

Quote:
Can't remember at the moment.  Try asking for Brass Eyelets or Brass Grommets, something like that. 

Quote:
I'm pretty damn sure I remember people saying they are used in RC racing. 

Quote:

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #1,484 of 2,225
Stopped by and picked up the servo pieces. They are really gold looking compared to whats in mine already. I didnt get a chance to put them in yet. My headphones are starting to sound really good to me now. I figured out how to bend the rods the right way to get a tighter fit and better seal.

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #1,485 of 2,225
Heya all,  I'm soon to be the proud owner of my first pair of Smeggy-built Thunderpants (wenge cups, fostex pads).  These will be paired with an original CTH amp I recently purchased here based on all the praise that amp has received in terms of its synergy with the TPs.  The CTH is already en route to me and will come with a few tubes to get me started.   These are (and I'm quoting the builder and seller here) "12BH7A, 6DJ8,ECC82, and 3 6N6Ps (a Russia tube, my fave, great power).  I sold another CTH to a ThunderPants user, and he really liked the 6NP6 with them."  

My question for those (current and past) Thunderpants owners who've had experience with these cans and the CTH, is what tubes might I also consider grabbing that have nice synergy with TPs in addition to the tubes I mentioned?  Ideally, I'd like to have different tubes that are suited to my preferred types of music;  tubes that excel in different areas such as - bringing bass extension, impact, etc for electronic genres such as drumnbass, dubstep, etc and perhaps others that excel at imparting the beloved ortho mids for things like jazz, world music, vocals, and classical, stuff like that.   I do realize there's a whole thread for CTH tube rolling options, and I'm continuing to peruse it for this info and had considered asking for this advice there instead, but I decided to post my question here as I'm really looking for suggestions on tubes specifically geared for Thunderpants & CTH pairing and I figured this would probably be the best place to find opinions from folks who've heavily experimented with this pairing and would have insight into what tubes do well with the TPs specifically in different ways.   

After I've had a chance to thoroughly listen to the TPants and CTH  together along with whatever tubes I end up using, I'm planning to write a thoroughly in-depth review of both separately and together, so if I can include a variety of tube-rolling options and notes in my review I'd certainly like to do so.   I would be much obliged for any advice you folks would be kind enough to impart!   I am so excited to have this combination of cans and amp in my possession that I'm bouncing off the walls.   :)  Thanks again all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back