Thunderpants!
May 29, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #1,456 of 2,225

Quote:
You can place a GrubDAC or AlienDAC inside the case with a CTH, I've done this before for a client.

Any idea how much that would cost? I've been planning to just get the Audio-gd NFB-12. Seems like it has more power than the E9 which would be a good upgrade. It also has a good built-in DAC.

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #1,457 of 2,225
might be a bit late, but . 
popcorn.gif
. Also, i'm getting my own pair of fostex's today. Any advice on dampening the stock cups and or baffle and or adding a bass port, would be greatly appreciated. 

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #1,458 of 2,225

I ended up taking all the dynamat out that i put in them. I thought they sounded better after. Just know you might be disappointed when you first plug them in. I dont recommend trying to compare them to another set of headphones. Just put your other set away far a week and listen to them non stop. I want to say that i liked the stock better then the pair of customs i just recieved. Im still playing with dampening them though.

Not sure if orthos can burn in but i think they sounded better after blasting bass through them for a few days.
Quote:
popcorn.gif
. Also, i'm getting my own pair of fostex's today. Any advice on dampening the stock cups and or baffle and or adding a bass port, would be greatly appreciated. 

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #1,459 of 2,225

All drivers will change to an extent with initial use, the question is how much and for how long. My highly subjective impression with the Thunderpants was that the efficiency rose and the bass became slightly more prominent. The break-in was considerably quicker than with my Beyers. To my ears (again, highly subjective), the 'Pants were fully broken in with ~ 20 hours, the Beyers continued to change up to ~ 100-200 hours.

IMO, for a planar driver, the Fostex has an exceptionally rapid break-in. My Sunfires took literally hundreds of hours. I am sure there will be differences of opinion in this area.

Speaking of bass, I am having trouble keeping my ports free with the O2 pads.
Has anyone who has these pads tried notching them at the port location?
I don't want to ruin $155 worth of pads :)
Quote:
I ended up taking all the dynamat out that i put in them. I thought they sounded better after. Just know you might be disappointed when you first plug them in. I dont recommend trying to compare them to another set of headphones. Just put your other set away far a week and listen to them non stop. I want to say that i liked the stock better then the pair of customs i just recieved. Im still playing with dampening them though.

Not sure if orthos can burn in but i think they sounded better after blasting bass through them for a few days.

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #1,460 of 2,225
popcorn.gif

You will find multiple mods in the other t50 thread. Search rastapants for my mods. There are lots of other setups, but imho beware the micropore and transpore tweaks, which kind of mangle the sound.

Fwiw, Just sticking dynamt in is not a mod, it is a start. Every mod affects multiple parameters, so it takes a lot of tuning, but it is fun and worth it.... These are thoroughly musical when you tune them into focus.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 2, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #1,461 of 2,225

Im not sure how to explain the sound, but the stocks didnt clip or distort at all with the bass cranked up. These get pretty nasty and depending on the track I have to tweak the settings constantly. I really want to say they are starting to sound better to me as the hours pass.
Quote:
Quote:
popcorn.gif

You will find multiple mods in the other t50 thread. Search rastapants for my mods. There are lots of other setups, but imho beware the micropore and transpore tweaks, which kind of mangle the sound.

Fwiw, Just sticking dynamt in is not a mod, it is a start. Every mod affects multiple parameters, so it takes a lot of tuning, but it is fun and worth it.... These are thoroughly musical when you tune them into focus.

Jun 3, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #1,462 of 2,225

Quote:

Thanks for your opinion. I'll keep it in mind.

Quote:
Quote:
popcorn.gif

Yet again. Thank you for the suggestions :)

Quote:
Im not sure how to explain the sound, but the stocks didnt clip or distort at all with the bass cranked up. These get pretty nasty and depending on the track I have to tweak the settings constantly. I really want to say they are starting to sound better to me as the hours pass.

hmmm.. could it possibly be your source to blame schwallman?

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #1,464 of 2,225

Quote:
I dont have the best setup but I dont beleive it to be the problem. I have a modified xfi xtreme music. My music ranges in 320 to flac. Albums that sounded fine with the stocks are having trouble now.

Well, personally. I wouldn't down the mods until I had heard the headphones on something with some more juice. Seeing as most people messing with orthos, have a pretty good amp to drive them. Not saying that is your issue. Just that it seems a lot of people claim to have good results and that they tend to have amps with more power than what your soundcard would be capable of. I think I'm making sense. it is early and I must go to work :)

-edit- Then again, you didn't down the mods. Simply told me what you experienced. Which I appreciate. I really do, Thanks :)

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #1,465 of 2,225

I'm sure its just getting used to the sound again. When I got my customs the other day it was like starting over again. Before I bought the t50s, I was using my hf2s daily. Then the t50s came in and I was pretty disappointed. But I listened to the t50s and nothing else and began to appreciate what they were doing. Before I received the modded t590s I went back to the hf2s while waiting. So I'm pretty sure that I just need to listen more. Even now they are sounding better.

I'm sure an amp would be a good option to go with I just need to read more into the Cavalli that has received glowing reviews from other modded t50 owners. Ive been lurking in the FS forums but have yet to find one.

Quote:
Well, personally. I wouldn't down the mods until I had heard the headphones on something with some more juice. Seeing as most people messing with orthos, have a pretty good amp to drive them. Not saying that is your issue. Just that it seems a lot of people claim to have good results and that they tend to have amps with more power than what your soundcard would be capable of. I think I'm making sense. it is early and I must go to work :)

-edit- Then again, you didn't down the mods. Simply told me what you experienced. Which I appreciate. I really do, Thanks :)

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #1,468 of 2,225

Its not the best, but it has done what it needs to do pretty well.

Like the avatar.  Virus has some great artist and pump out some nasty tunes.

Oh yah, Ed Rush and Optical's nasty bass lines are to die for on a properly amped T50RP
domus.gif

A good example: http://www.google.com/search?q=Ed+Rush+Optical+Crackball&tbm=vid

I've owned the X-Fi XM, it can't compete. Treat the T50RP as if it cost $1K, and you'll get to hear what it can really do
mlc2.gif

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #1,469 of 2,225
Marty made these Zebrawood cups for me. The pictures are from him. I left them in my drawer at work to burn in over the weekend. He did an outstanding job on them and I hope to get an amp soon enough to see what they can really do. I put my HF2 cable on them for the time being. I didnt ask for the rod blocks and the wood pieces for them. I just went with the stock rods. Probably should have used his though since he already made them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back