Thunderpants!
Oct 17, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #811 of 2,225
Yeah, I pretty much just avoid buying/turning wet wood. To me it's not worth the trouble of the drying process. I would literally pass up the most beautiful piece of wood in the world if it were wet. It's a shame really because wet wood sure is easier to turn.

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #813 of 2,225
Just following up from a few pages ago. I got my little dot 1+ a while ago and have been burning it in. On high gain and stock tubes it is very good at driving the t50rp!  The asgard has nothing on this amps performance with the TP. So much controled power and detail i dont even know what to do with it all...  Soundstage increased lots and overall things are just more spacious and separated. Detail is right, and bass goes nice and low with control, no flab!! my TP's finally sound delicious.     i'll report later on how the stock tubes compare to the ef92 we408a and the 2107 op amp i have waiting to be rolled. I say this is a good cheap option for the Thunderpants!  Really solid build quality too!

cheers, M

edit: Dubstep is blowing my mind with the TP and ld1+, the lows and detail are addicting!!!   To be specific the new Pantyraid album "the sauce" is what im listening to.   I have the 2107 op amp in it now and it is an improvement in energy and smoothness.

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #814 of 2,225
promise this is my last post about an amp in the thunderpants thread.

The WE408A tube, imo is the best option for the ld1+, ive done lots of swapping in the last day and it does all the areas the best. They can be had from the nos tube store in the uk for 34$ a matched pair. This combo of the 408 and 2107 opamp may be a bit dark for some but its perfect for me so take with a grain of salt.

cheers, i hope i didnt bore anybody with this, my point is just for anyone looking for an amp for the TP. (that is fairly inexpensive but will drive the TP well,among the rest of your headphone collection)

M

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #815 of 2,225
Interesting I might have to take a look at the Little Dot 1+.

I wonder how it compares to the CTH?

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #816 of 2,225

I would not consider your discussion of amps in relation to TP's inappropriate for this thread.  I've made it clear in the OP that were interested in finding amps that compliment the TP's well, and I even have a list going of people's recommendations.  I can ad yours if you like.

I've done more than my share of pushing the Cavalli CTH for the TP's on this thread.  Its all good. :wink: .. and on that note...

bigrock:  that would be neat to find out.  The CTH is one HELL of an amp.  it has a decieving size, and price tag b/c it's DIY and usually sells very cheap, but it really does make the TP's sound awesome.  I really cant recommend it enough :wink:

Quote:
promise this is my last post about an amp in the thunderpants thread.

The WE408A tube, imo is the best option for the ld1+, ive done lots of swapping in the last day and it does all the areas the best. They can be had from the nos tube store in the uk for 34$ a matched pair. This combo of the 408 and 2107 opamp may be a bit dark for some but its perfect for me so take with a grain of salt.

cheers, i hope i didnt bore anybody with this, my point is just for anyone looking for an amp for the TP. (that is fairly inexpensive but will drive the TP well,among the rest of your headphone collection)

M

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #817 of 2,225
Sure, you could definitely add the ld1+. I mean, 130$ shipped plus ~30 for a set of ef92's or 408As and you have one nice cheapish good hybrid for the TP. To contradict my statement about the 408's above the ef92 and it are just different spots of the spectrum. 408 is more full bodied and the ef92 is just more analytical, both lending a different experience with different recordings.

I agree with comparing it to the CTH! anyone feel like sending me one for review?? lol or i may be convinced to send my ld1+ out with tubes and op amp for review by someone (reputable) with a cth. 

Oct 20, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #818 of 2,225
No offence to the LD1+ but it really represents the early start of tube hybrids ie SOHA - low voltage with tube gain and opamp buffer. The CTH is eons ahead technically with a regulated HV B+, decent CCS for the tube and dual voltage supply for a discrete single ended buffer. Now I am not saying the LD1+ doesn't sound good, the SOHA was a true eye-opener in terms of cost performance and this led to the ultimate refinement which gets you that extra % towards that ultimate sound..dB

Oct 20, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #819 of 2,225
^ cool, thanks don!   a side to side comparison really isnt necessary then.

Oct 20, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #822 of 2,225
Wow those look amazing. I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing a pair of Thunderpants in all their glory.

Oct 20, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #824 of 2,225
nice n3rdling! 

Oct 20, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #825 of 2,225
Trust me people, they they look even better in person. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back