Three Brand New Earphones: Sony IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and IER-M7
Dec 29, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #556 of 1,485
I remember you mentioning you tried out the Andromeda. Imagine that with a Sony twist and you got the M9. Some will say it is a side grade to the Andromeda or upgrade. It will be a matter of taste but I do believe the M9 will be a more musical more dynamic evolution on that tuning. If you have a change to demo them or check em out at a show. They are worth checking out.

I will and nice Z1R impressions a lot of what you describe I am already getting with the Solaris but I am still looking eagerly at the release and will audition.

Dec 29, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #557 of 1,485
From the get go and this is from memory. Solaris has some of that going on but Sony pulled off an even more spacious sound. The way the sound projected into my ears was like your standing in a room of acoustically correct speakers and all parts of the sound had a high amount of Sony refinements going on. Treble had that silky extended effortless quality. Mids were lush full bodied and had a surround presence. Bass I recognize from the Bass on my Z5. Was impactful high end deep full rumbling bass. All thrown out to where you didn't hear the limitations on the housing or the stage. Sound seem to be thrown out of every direction. Magic. Lol.

Z1R is a deeply colored sound. But again it was the presentation that took your breathe away.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #558 of 1,485
Thanks very much for your impressions Dsnuts.
Sony has previously made some very serious statement speakers - most of their hi End stuff was Japan only.
People remember the R10 headphone with awe - no one mentions their biocellulose superteeter 4 way speakers that were created around that time such as the SS-GR1 (mystical object for sure) or SS-G777ES, or their supposedly best ever electrostatic speakers SS-R10, or the futuristic flat APM-8 & 6.

Sony’s foregh into hi end speakers & amps goes back over 60 years so their R&D pool must be really deep.

It’s great Sony are making Sony great again!

I’ll be grabbing a pair of the Z1Rs when they hit Aussie shores.

Dec 29, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #561 of 1,485
Just to breathe some extra life into the new IER series.
Got good buddies of mine to blind buy a IER-M7 for me as soon as the first stock landed in the SEA region a couple months ago already, and got it shipped back to EU via express courier. Don't regret a penny on these.

In typical sony fashion, their good, sometimes great products tend to be overlooked due to the massive consumer portfolio that are, lets be entirely honest, quite bad.
While technicalities aren't quite TOTL, I would pick these over the recent CFA products probably....

For those that may have missed it due to the tags not working properly, I did a fairly extensive write up on em'
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-ier-m7.23437/reviews#review-21185

Dec 29, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #562 of 1,485
My previous price cap on iems was because I am considering some overheads, but as in reality I will mostly listen to my ZX300 w/iems, and overheads ruin your hairdo for the rest of the day, I may be able to stretch to a secondhand pair of M9.
Is anyone able to please briefly compare the Z5 and the M9?

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #563 of 1,485
Any news when these models are being sold in Europe? Or are they not coming to the European market at all?

Not sure about Europe- Australia already has stock of the M7 & M9 the Z1R is not currently available- I don’t think it’s been released in Australia and probably there won’t be stock until January/February 2019. I’m on a waiting list so if I hear anything I’ll update this thread.

I would think Europe (especially Germany & UK) would have the M7 & M9 as it seems they have been released.

Dec 29, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #564 of 1,485
Just to breathe some extra life into the new IER series.
Got good buddies of mine to blind buy a IER-M7 for me as soon as the first stock landed in the SEA region a couple months ago already, and got it shipped back to EU via express courier. Don't regret a penny on these.

In typical sony fashion, their good, sometimes great products tend to be overlooked due to the massive consumer portfolio that are, lets be entirely honest, quite bad.
While technicalities aren't quite TOTL, I would pick these over the recent CFA products probably....

For those that may have missed it due to the tags not working properly, I did a fairly extensive write up on em'
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-ier-m7.23437/reviews#review-21185

Got mine, i immediately kept my Andros aside. Don't get me wrong, Andros are superb, but i just adore M7 at almost 1/2 the price.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #566 of 1,485
Dec 30, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #567 of 1,485
what is the difference between the M7 and M9

M9 posses extra 1 super tweeter, which provides the extra brightness that lacks (for some people) in m7 as far as my ears can remember. Not a huge sacrifice imo but people have their own preferences.
M7 is slightly darker and warmer but both have balanced sound sig imo. For M7, i personally believe its like 80% of what Andromeda is, with less bright, more fun bass.
Both are kinda power hungry compared to Andromeda.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #570 of 1,485
As a man who has used Z5 for 2 years and A3 for 1 year, I'd say the Z5's upgrade is definitely the Beyerdynamic Xelento, 100% upgrade across the entire spectrum. You should give it a try!
Thanks, this was on my list but they didn't have it them at e earphone today. I finally got to try the M7 and M9 - both fit like a glove and are as people have described. The M7 was actually very good and quite likeable, but the M9 has the step up - I could get used to them but as the price is really pushing my limits I feel I might find something more suitable for my tastes elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back